4 replies [Last post]
Redroadking's picture
Seeking advice on Colorado GMU's 25/26 near Yampa

Hey everybody, I am new to the forum but not new to hunting elk in Colorado. For the last 5 years I have had the great fortune of drawing a cow tag in GMU 2, well, the odds finally caught up to my group this year and we did not draw out. So, instead of not hunting we all decided to get tags for GMU's 25/26. One of the guys in our group has hunted around Toponas in the past but it was a long time ago. I am seeking some advice from any of you that may have hunted the area, especially up closer to Yampa. I live in Texas and I can not go up and pre-scout the area, but most of my hunting buddies live in Denver and they did go up last week and spoke with some archers hunting the area. The archers were seeing elk and had had a couple of opportunities, so that was encouraging to know the elk were in the area. We will be hunting the 2nd rifle season, they scouted Gardner Lake area but we think we may need to be a little lower in altitude. Anyway, if you have any advice I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for your help and I hope all of you have a VERY successful hunting season.

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Welcome

Welcome to the site, always good to see another hunter to share stories and knowledge with. Sorry to say I know nothing about that area so I cannot help in your hunt this year. Some possible help can be calling the local DOW Office and ask the warden. I have found them helpful in the past. Also maybe one of your buddies and go up the last day of 1st season and see what has been harvested and ask around. It is a bit of a long shot but might help. Again welcome and good luck on your hunt. Hope to see a post from you after the hunt.  

Redroadking's picture
Thanks for you input and the

Thanks for you input and the warm welcome to the site. Calling DOW is a good idea, I too have found them to be helpful. We will be getting to the hunting area a couple of days prior to opening day and we will definitely be asking questions in Yampa. I look forward to posting a picture and telling the story of my successful hunt at the end of October.

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Getting to your area a few

Getting to your area a few days area is always good. Time to talk with some folks and to get use to the altitude a little bit. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Welcome to the site!  I am

Welcome to the site!  I am not familiar with any type of elk hunting in CO, but hopefully that will change next year.. Wink

There are lots of guys on here with Colorado elk experience, and you should have no trouble finding advice.  Best of luck, and make sure to stick around the site and look around.  Add some photos and stories of your hunts and successes!

Good luck this fall!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Colorado GMU's 7&8dwomer403/25/2009 20:42 pm
New CO Big Game Hunterarrow202/24/2010 13:44 pm
Colorado GMU's 26 and 17...Tips??Browan89006/19/2012 08:56 am
Hunting the Blue Mountainsrk205/12/2005 13:17 pm
Colorado GMU's 35 and 36wyflyguy510/12/2013 12:45 pm