22 replies [Last post]
elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Second scouting trip for 2013 elk hunt (Shed Hunt)

Made it back up into the same area yesterday with my brother this time. We found a lot of elk, but no big bulls. We did find some more good sheds though.

This is the the first one I found

The second one I found right next to a fresh elk bed

My brothers shed

All the big sheds together from both Saturdays

That is good fun profitable

That is good fun profitable weekend at $8-$9 per pound. I imagine the pressure is minimal in that area with the steep terrian and no horse access. The bull that dropped the 7 pt should be a monster this next fall, heck I would be happy with any 300 plus inch bull. I like the crown too. Good hunting

opssup's picture
Awesome Quinton!..I would

Awesome Quinton!..I would have love to seen that guy in 61 this year!...Isn't it funny how states differ on picking up sheds...I picked one up in New Mexico once and carried it back to camp and a warden saw it and just about had a cow!...so can you really market the sheds?

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Was it a shed you picked up

Was it a shed you picked up or a dead head? I know that in Utah you can not pick up a dead head but they recommend that you report it and then a officer will check it out and you may be able to keep it. The reasoning for this is that they had a poaching problem with poachers shooting deer and elk out of season and stashing the heads. They then went back into the area the following spring or summer to pick up the head.

I believe that Arizona is the same. No dead head but a shed antler that has the burr is OK.

As for a market for sheds, yes there is a huge market for them and the larger the better. They make furniture, lamps, chandeliers, and other things out of them.

Striker's picture
Sheds

Wow. Those are some great sheds! Definately a market for those. Especially if you find a matching set. You could sell them to a taxidermist easy. With those kinda of sheds you would think there has to be some big bulls in that unit somewhere but that being said they must be wintering there. That means they could be coming out of another unit or area in the unit, your in, to winter there and that's why your finding them there. Most likely they won't be in that area come next fall and may be why your not seeing these big bulls now. Come January and February I wonder if you'll start seeing them come in there. Hope that helps. Once you figure it out let us know. ;)

opssup's picture
It was a shed...very large 5

It was a shed...very large 5 point...he was pretty insistant that it was a no-no....Maybe thats just New Mexico...this is a head I found while i was in 61 this season....judging by the scraps left on he skull some bow hunter was not very happy! Its a big 5..

PreviewAttachmentSize
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG2.64 MB
elkkill06's picture
Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys !  Thumbs up As far as selling the sheds, I myself have ever only sold one of my sheds when my kids were very small and I needed the money, and I regreted it. It was a very large heavy 6 point and I found the other side 4 years later. My taxidermists brother is an antler buyer right here in Grand Junction and is one of the biggest buyers in the area. I sold a small pile for my brother this summer and got him just over 250.00 for mostly white and chaulk.

Striker,

I appreciate any and all the help and info I can get. 

Quinton

Striker's picture
help

Can't help you there. I'm new to Colorado and still trying to figure out where to hunt next year myself. However,if it were me I would talk to the local biologist who knows where the elk are coming from to winter in that area and hope it's your unit. It's usually 3 or so units that elk converge to a wintering range from. I believe, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, they get their elk pop. number from doing a count in the winter ranges and have to take an educated guess on what units the elk will fan out to once snow melts and a rough guess on how many to each unit. They also look at the unit and how many elk they think it can support. Anyway, hope this helps. I need to take my own advice on this.

elkkill06's picture
Unit 40

Striker,

As far as talking with the biologist, he is still fairly new to the unit (compared to myself), seeing as he took the unit over around 2005. I do know the unit very well and I am just looking in the nastiest of spots (as you can see from the sheds I have been finding) to try and find a very special bull. 

As far as wintering and migrating from the surrounding units it is not really much of a migration and there are resident elk in this canyon year around. Some of the elk do come over from unit 61, but they also cross back and forth year around.

I plan on hitting many different places before season starts and many places that most people do not think elk will be in, but they are.

Good luck on your research for next year also and if you decide to pick units closer to my side I can definitely help you out.

Quinton

Striker's picture
Other posts

Hey. I saw some of your posts on other fourums and saw some of your photos. Looks like your in the right place. You and your family have taken some nice elk. I'd like to find a unit like yours a little closer to me. It reminds me of an old Unit I used to hunt in Idaho. I'm sure you'll have continued success. I look forward to seeing pictures.

elkkill06's picture
Thanks

Striker,

I have tons of pics on this forum also in different places. I was thinking of starting another elk thread just so some of you newer members could share some of your pics of past animals. I enjoy seeing everyones critters big or small. They are all trophies to me.

Quinton

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
post season scouting (sheds)Lil John205/18/2004 15:08 pm
16B New Mexico Fire Condition in 2013elkmansfe405/27/2013 10:21 am
first shed trip of the year970TBONE104/17/2014 07:32 am
let's post elk scouting picturesHoTm00n2108/24/2006 13:32 pm
Elk hunting, 3rd. season in units 25,26Milton209/06/2009 06:55 am