12 replies [Last post]
elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Scouting for 2013 elk hunt early !

As most know I will more than likely draw my 1st season bull tag in unit 40 this next year. Well with the amazing weather we are having my youngest son Arlan and I headed out to see if we could see some bulls. The first bull we encountered was a huge old heavy 5x6 that would go around 360". I would have shot him in a heartbeat especially being just over a mile from the truck. Next Arlan found a small 5 point elk shed about a third of the way up the side of this monstrous canyon and we turned and started straight up. At about two thirds of the way up Arlan came up on this shed.

After strapping on the shed we kept heading up and jumped two more bulls bedded in the shade. Both just nice 6x6, but nothing to get excited about (always cool to see and get the blood pumping). I headed up to get under the rim and spotted this old heavy shed with great thirds.

The view looking north up the canyon from the second big shed.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt72/elkkill06/2012NorthCr010.jpg
We stayed under the rim heading up the canyon hoping to spot the elk and sheds better. About another third of a mile we bumped two more bulls just under the rim with one being a small 4x5 and the other being a 315"-320" 6x7. After staying on the bulls for a little while we reached a spot where we had to drop into the canyon.

We decided with us running out of time we would just head straight up the other side and then head back down to the truck. As we headed up we pushed out a small heard of cows and calves and just before breaking over the top we bumped one more bull, but did not get a good look at his antlers. On the way back down we picked up a small 5x6 set of sheds. All in all a great day with my youngest son. I hope to share many more adventures as the days go by and the 2013 hunting season gets closer.

Quinton

buckykm1's picture
Awesome

That sure sounds like a awesome day to me.

Kevin

Striker's picture
Sweet sheds! Those are great

Sweet sheds! Those are great finds. Now the question everyone wants answered: What unit did you find those in? Was it 40?

SGM
SGM's picture
Very cool to find stuff like

Very cool to find stuff like that. My son was out this weekend and found a small 6 point and a deadhead 6x7. I attached a photo. Hope you can run into one of those big boys when you get your tag.

PreviewAttachmentSize
PB250330.JPG
PB250330.JPG2.71 MB
hardwoods's picture
Wow!!

Definitely sounds like a successful scouting trip for Nov! Nice Pic's!

elkkill06's picture
Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys ! Thumbs up

Striker,

It was unit 40.

SGM,

That is a very cool deadhead and congrats to your son.

Quinton

Critter's picture
Those are some nice looking

Those are some nice looking sheds. Now you found out where they are in the spring time, all you need to do is figure out where they hang out come fall.

Quinton - Those sound like

Quinton - Those sound like some nice bulls. I would think the harvest may be down a little across western Colorado. And will have a good carryover for 2013, that's my thinking anyhow. I'm glad I don't have to compete with you for s 3rd or 4th season tag!

elkkill06's picture
Thanks again all !

Jim,

Some of these bulls live in this canyon year around and with the pressure from the private all around the canyon I can't go wrong. I have been talking with one of the landowners that is at the lowest spot and they say I can not go wrong with my plan either. Thumbs up

Preston,

I am having issues on if I should hunt 1st season or 2nd or 4th seasons (I can't hunt 3rd because of my daughters 3rd season buck tag next year), but I will figure it out before April gets here for sure. Yes

Quinton

hawkeye270's picture
If time spent preparing for a

If time spent preparing for a hunt is directly correlated to the size of the bull that eventually gets harvested... you are going to get the new state record!!

Nice work finding that honey hole by the way. 

Quinton - For what it's worth

Quinton - For what it's worth Ty DWM said 1st or 4th are best for public land bulls.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like