8 replies [Last post]
Scope for new Remington .270

Hello,

I am the proud new owner of a Remington .270.  I plan to use it on Deer maybe Antelope every now and then.  I have always liked Nikon Optics.  Anyone have any advice on cool scopes?  Let me know what you think.

RD in SD

Tyler Durden's picture
my $0.02

rhino57106 wrote:

Hello,

I am the proud new owner of a Remington .270.  I plan to use it on Deer maybe Antelope every now and then.  I have always liked Nikon Optics.  Anyone have any advice on cool scopes?  Let me know what you think.

RD in SD

not sure if you've picked one up yet, but I'll try. what kind of price range are you looking at? most people will tell you to get as much scope as you can afford. What kind of distances are you shooting at? I tend to like to match my scopes to the rifle. Meaning I am not putting $700 scope on a gun that I spent 300 on. If I am shooting longer distances where every little things matter I will spend more but if I am brush hunting or short yardage shooting I don't feel like I need as much scope. just my $0.02.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Nikon is a fine company,

Nikon is a fine company, however I know of a couple of hunters that have had problems with them fogging up.  Now Nikon does repair them free of charge but it happened to one of them a couple of times. 

Myself I prefer Leoupold's.  I have never had a problem with them and haven't heard of anyone that has, but there is always that chance. 

So if you like Nikon go with them as far as power I really don't seen any need for anything other than a 3x9 for a hunting rifle. 

CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Nikon makes some nice scopes

Nikon makes some nice scopes and I have two myself.  I prefer greater magnification 4 x 14 or thereabouts.  My preference in scopes is Leupold.  I would go with a Leupold and put the best scope you can afford on the rifle.  Look at the boone and crockett reticle in the Leupold or if you go with the Nikon, the BDC reticle.  They have hold over points to eliminate guessing how high to hold over the animal.  Not an exact science but pretty close.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Cabelas has a great deal in

Cabelas has a great deal in their Bargain cave right now.  It would go nicely on that gun.  It's a Bushnell Trophy 3x9, with a laser bore sighter, scope rings, and some gun oil all for only $99.  Normally $225 if all bought seperately.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bushnellreg-Trophy-XLT-Ultimate-Combo/753485.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D40%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DBushnell%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchall%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3DBushnell%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=Bushnell

CVC
CVC's picture
Wow that sounds like a great

Wow that sounds like a great deal.  Normally Cabela's doesn't really have such great deals in the bargin cave, but you can find them once in a while.

GooseHunter Jr's picture
I will tell you I have tried

I will tell you I have tried alot of different scopes or I have looked thru my buddies.  I have to say that I like my Burris scopes the best.  I have a few different ones along with spotting scopes and binoculars.  They are not extremely expensive and I beleive to be in high quality.  Another thing I like is they are made here in my hometown so any issues I nhave I can get taken care of pretty easily.

hawkeye270's picture
Congratulations on your new

Congratulations on your new gun purchase. I have a remington 700 bdl in 270 winchester and I love it, so I know where you are coming from. It is my favorite rifle by a long shot. Actually it is my favorite firearm that I own. It is a tack driver. But that is beside the point I guess. I have a 3-9X sightron scope on it and it has worked great for me. I was able to get it half off a few years ago because it was the last one at a Garts Sports that was closing. The new redfields are worth a look for sure too. If you can afford it though I would go for a leopold.

If you are going to chase pronghorn than you are going to want atleast a 3-9X power scope on that rig. You might even want to jump up to a 4-12x power scope or even higher. Those little suckers can see you from a long ways away and like to keep quite a bit of terrain in between you and them and higher magnification always helps.

CVC
CVC's picture
I agree with Hawkeye that I'd

I agree with Hawkeye that I'd at least go to a 12 power if not higher.  I haven't found any limitations with the higher power scopes, but I have with the lower power.  I like bringing the game up close for the shot.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Scopes??bnow07071010/21/2005 06:49 am
Remington 12 ga 1100 Rifled Barrl & Scope comboltmdl9m011/12/2008 09:43 am
Scope powers????therookie1707/09/2003 09:37 am
detachable scope mountsMTWACKO007/07/2005 15:07 pm
Remington 700 MLvbhunter008/27/2012 09:06 am