14 replies [Last post]
Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
If you prefer to shoot heaver

If you prefer to shoot heaver bullets then you should look at calibers that have what you want in the middle of their loadings such as a 30 caliber.  I never have been a fan of the short magnums but they will get the job done.  What you need to look at is the velosity of the round and the balistics that it creates.  A 165 grain bullet out of a 7 WSM at 2900fps is just as effecitve as the same bullet out of a 7mm Remington mag or 7mm STW at the same velosity. 

But your problem would be that the 175 grain bullets are going to be at the top of the bullet weights for the 7mm caliber and some rifles may not shoot them accuratuly.  So then if you go up to a 30 caliber the 175 grain bullets are going to be just above the mid weight of the bullet selection and they may preform better.  But if you like the 7mm caliber then there is no deer or elk that is going to notice that you shot them with a 160 or 165 grain round.  In my opinion the 160-165 gain bullets are where the 7mm's shine.   

nick 22's picture
limited choices

You are right about the limited choices in ammo for short mags. That is why I have the rem mag easier to reload cases are plentiful and if I am on hunt out of state and lose my ammo there will always be a box of that on a shelf. The biggest rifle you can accurately shoot is the one you should take. 30-06 7mm have been killing elk for a long time, and the bullet quality today is phenomenal compared to Jack Oconner's day.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Jack O'Connor

nick 22 wrote:

You are right about the limited choices in ammo for short mags. That is why I have the rem mag easier to reload cases are plentiful and if I am on hunt out of state and lose my ammo there will always be a box of that on a shelf. The biggest rifle you can accurately shoot is the one you should take. 30-06 7mm have been killing elk for a long time, and the bullet quality today is phenomenal compared to Jack Oconner's day.

Boy, I can't believe that you mentioned Jack O'Connor without mentioning his all time favorite rifle for everything from groundhogs to moose and the big bears that he hunted here in North America.  The great 270 Winchester. Thumbs up

Plus, Jack had the Partition

Plus, Jack had the Partition bullet to shoot. So, he wasn't hurting for a premium bullet to use.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
browning blr takedowndecker304/12/2009 21:37 pm
WTB - Browning Stalker - 30-06mrf250fx4411/20/2004 17:00 pm
first scope purchasecsumerall1509/08/2007 19:57 pm
scope infoRootbeer204/02/2004 22:50 pm
30-06 Browning X-Bolt Question!JackTheRipper1710/21/2009 13:26 pm