6 replies [Last post]
Savage edge XP .308

I recently purchased a Savage Edge XP in .308 Win.  Has anyone had experience with the packaged Bushnell scope or should I upgrade the scope?

That scope sucks, no other

That scope sucks, no other way to put it.  The gun is great, however.  The first rifle I ever purchased myself was a Savage 110 with the typical "package Bushnell".  After the first season I used it, I upgraded to a Simmons Whitetail Classic, and still use it today - 15 yrs. later.  The scope at the time was roughly $100.  According to Cabela's, they still go for about the same today.

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I don't know about the rifle

I don't know about the rifle but I've had a Simmons Aetec for 14 years. I have never had a problem with it. It isn't a top of the line scope but it's done it's job for this long. I haven't had to adjust point of impact but one time and I bumped the scope then.

Savage edge/axis

KCINSC wrote:

I recently purchased a Savage Edge XP in .308 Win.  Has anyone had experience with the packaged Bushnell scope or should I upgrade the scope?

My brother damaged his rifle on a recent hunting trip and borrowed my Savage edge/axis. He killed two deer that weekend so needless to say he has it now. So I am in the market for a new .308.

I bought a Savage package

I bought a Savage package with Bushnell scope as well, used it once on a 30-06, and it broke.  That scope is one of the worst I've ever held.  I got rid of that and bought a Simmons Whitetail Classic - I'ved used the Simmons on several rifles, including a .300 Win Mag, and I've never had a problem with it.  In short - throw the Bushnell away and invest in quality.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
When you purchase a package

When you purchase a package deal even with a medium of the road scope like the Bushnell on it you are going to get a package deal scope that isn't worth the money that it takes to purchase it by it's self. I haven't seen a package deal with rifle and scope last more than a season and a lot of the scopes fail at the initial sighting in. I could tell you more bad stories about Simmons scopes and optics than you have ever heard about Bushnell.

It comes down to the fact that you are better off just purchasing a rifle by itself and then qoing with a quality scope of your choice.

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Upgrade now before it fails

Upgrade now before it fails you at the time you need it most.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Savage Edge groundhog307/15/2010 23:39 pm
Savage - Big Mistake?jim boyd602/16/2011 18:23 pm
Savage 308 edgedeathmaster203/21/2011 22:19 pm
Riflecodfish104/03/2010 21:36 pm
Savage 111 vs. Stevens 200 vs. Marlin XL7sebastian slim801/22/2014 12:03 pm