3 replies [Last post]
jim boyd's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Savage 220F Shotgun - Sighting In

Folks,

I recently purchased a Savage 220F 20 gauge shotgun.

This is built on a 110 action - veeeerrrrry long - and handles just like a rifle. If you did not look at the barrel, you would not know it was a shotgun.

I having trouble grouping off of the bench, however...

My groups are about 4 -5 " at 100 yards and occasionally, I will get a flyer that is 8" out there.

I read that you hold a shotgun differently than a rifle when shooting it - maybe this is only true for a slug gun...

Any hints or can anyone expand on this subject - and on shotgun accuracy in general??

I love the gun but a 4" group at 100 yards - with one getting away every once in a while - is not very comforting from a hunter's perspective....

I am using the Federal Premuim shells with the Barnes Tipped Expander bullet - # P209XT1 - which is one of only 2 shells Savage says to use in the gun.

Thanks!

Jim

Tndeerhunter's picture
Ouch

That sure doesn't sound even close to Kosher to me. I'm no big fan of Savage guns, personally, but this new M220 is supposed to be something special. If I owned a M1100 with rifled barrel that shot that bad, I'd be pi$$ed! It sound to me like there is something serious wrong there. What kind of scope, bases and rings are you using? Could it be a bad scope? Do you have another you can throw on there and even just shoot one 50 yd group with, just to compare?

As I already said, I'm not a big Savage fan, nor one of this particular writer. But here's his review for what it's worth and his Savage sure seems to be doing a lot better group-wise.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_slug_gun.htm

Don Fischer's picture
I haven't shot a slug in a

I haven't shot a slug in a shotgun in over 50yrs. But that really doesn sound all that bad to me. Remember your shooting a shotgun and pretty much at the range limit I would think anyway. If you could shoot a 4" group at 400yds with your rifle you'd be pretty happy I'd think. Of course effective range get farther than that with a rifle. Then too, you probably have some special use in mind for the shotgun otherwise you'd just use a rifle, right? I assume that it has a rifled barrel? Keep in mind that a 1 oz 20ga slud isn't that long or streamlined. Closer to shooting a round ball than a rifle bullet.

jim boyd's picture
Don, Yessir - special use -

Don,

Yessir - special use - it was purchased for midwest hunts where rifles are not allowed.

I can also use in the south in areas where the shots are short - less than 100 yards.

This shotgun was touted as being cery accurate - CVC posted a Chuck Hawks article that gave glowing reports of this gun.

I am going to go to a smaller scope on the gun and get some more range time in and see if I can works these groups down smaller.

Thanks!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Savage 220F slug gun questions...jim boyd010/11/2010 18:01 pm
Savage - Big Mistake?jim boyd602/16/2011 18:23 pm
Don, a question about sighting in.Southernsportsman808/30/2007 14:17 pm
Savage 111 vs. Stevens 200 vs. Marlin XL7sebastian slim801/22/2014 12:03 pm
savage model 99wyoelkhunter401/02/2008 07:42 am