2 replies [Last post]
Savage 116 Bear Hunter .338 win mag recoil ?

The gun weighs about 9.25 lbs with the scope, bipod, and sling. The gun comes with a Savage P.A.D. and an adjustable muzzle break. What loads are the lightest recoiling loads with the P.A.D. in effect and with the muzzle break in the " on " position. What is the specific lower recoiling load that you know about ?

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
There is nothing about light

There is nothing about light recoiling rounds for a .338. It is designed to shoot big bullets at a respectable speed. The only way that you are going to be able to tell if it is going to bother you is to take one out and shoot it with different rounds and see what it does. As for the muzzle brake, there are not too many people out there that enjoy them in a hunting situation. They are very loud and if you take a shot with one on your rifle and your partners are not ready for it they may just leave you in the woods.

If you think that you might be a little bit sensitive to recoil and from reading your other post about what animals that you plan to hunt I would suggest a starting rifle such as a .30-06 or a 7mm Remington mag.  They will kill any animal that you plan on shooting here in the US and that includes the bears in Alaska. Then once you get accustomed to shooting it and plan a hunt to Africa or somewhere that you need a more powerful rifle then buy another one. Or for that mater take a look at the Thompson Center Encore where you can replace barrels for a fraction of the price that you can buy a whole rifle for. The only downside that some will tell you about them is that they are a single shot, but then that is all you need the majority of time.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
One thing that I haven't

One thing that I haven't mentioned is to see if there is a gun club in your area. Check with the gun shops to see if you can find hunters or shooters that would be willing to let you go out and shoot their rifles so that you can see how the recoil is and weather you need a muzzle brake or not.