5 replies [Last post]
Savage 111 TH XP .300 win mag for kid ?

Could a 13 year old kid handle the recoil of a .300 win mag using full power 150 grain loads ? What about  Remington Managed recoil loads ? This will be a shooting around/range rifle ( sometimes a coyote gun, not hunting for fur ) for him. For target shooting, would a Lead Sled work ? I plan to handload in the future or near purchase. I have some data off the net from some people who looked in manauals, they are light loads of course ! I forgot, the rifle ( in the title ) is a savage 111 TH XP, would I need to buy an aftermarket recoil pad or does it come with a good one ?

WesternHunter's picture
.300 win mag

gatortag wrote:

Could a 13 year old kid handle the recoil of a .300 win mag using full power 150 grain loads ? What about  Remington Managed recoil loads ? This will be a shooting around/range rifle ( sometimes a coyote gun, not hunting for fur ) for him. For target shooting, would a Lead Sled work ? I plan to handload in the future or near purchase. I have some data off the net from some people who looked in manauals, they are light loads of course ! I forgot, the rifle ( in the title ) is a savage 111 TH XP, would I need to buy an aftermarket recoil pad or does it come with a good one ?

Welcome aboard Gatortag.  Personally I don't see the point or benefit to using low-recoil or managed recoil loads in a magnum cartiridge or a load intended for full power.  Kind of defeats the whole purpose of going to a .300 Win Mag doing that.  That's just my opinion.  As far a the question of can a kid handle the recoil of full power 150 grain loads out of that thing?.....well I don't know as every individual is different.  I guess it all depends on the size of the kid and his built.  I'm 6'1" and 198 lbs and have been shooting biggame rifles most of my life and I really don't care to nor enjoy shooting any of the .30+ caliber magnums, but that's just me. For a range rifle or coyote rifle, there are far better, and much more comfortable (not to mention, less expensive) cartridges available out there for that purpose.  My fear is that trying to teach a kid to shoot with a .30 caliber magnum may just scare him and otherwise discourage him from wanting to shoot much.

My advise for a 13 year old kid and a range/coyote rifle.....get him something like a .220 Swift, .223 Rem, .22-250, or better yet a .243 Win.  At least with a .243 Win he can also use it to hunt deer someday, while comfortably learning in the mean time to shoot paper and coyotes.

Well, we live in ohio so no

Well, we live in ohio so no deer hunting with rifles, and this would be a growing into rifle, he has a Pellet gun ( Crosman 760 ) that he shoots and has learned marksmanship and saftey from it. He also has his grandpa's .22 marlin 60 and .22 magnum lever action for a lower recoil option. He won't be shooting as much, 1-2 times a month depending if his mom will take him.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
To start with a .30 caliber

To start with a .30 caliber magnum really isn't designed for shooting 150 grain bullets but the larger ones from 180 grains up.

As for a 13 year old being able to handle it I would say that it depends on the 13 year old. At that time I was shooting a 30-06 with no problems but a .30 magnum might be a tad bit too powerful for a young kid.

If I was looking to buy a youngster a rifle I would start out with a standard caliber such as the .30-06. There are loads for it from 110 grain bullets all the way up to 250 grain ones and the old 06 has taken every animal imaginable.

WesternHunter's picture
If you live in an area where

If you live in an area where deer hunting is restricted to shotguns and a state that doesn't have larger game, then I really see no point growing a kid into a .300 Win mag, unless you plan to take him hunting somewhere else, like Alaska, for brown bear.  I live in Colorado and hunt the wests public land for deer, pronghorn, and elk.  We have moose but I don't hunt those.  I use a .270 Win with my own full velocity 130 grain handloads, that's proven to be plenty of rifle for my needs in a rifle that I can both shoot and carry comfortably.  Even living here in Colorado I've never seen any point or need to using a 300 Win Mag, but plenty of rifle hunters out here do use it and it is a great cartridge for those who want it.  I sold my 300 Win mag years ago and don't regret it one bit. I think for coyotes a .22 magnum is good, but if you can use something along the lines of a .22-250, that would be a great coyot rifle.

Don Fischer's picture
13 yr old and a 300 mag? I

13 yr old and a 300 mag? I would not risk it. First shot could turn that kid off for good. Something on the 308 case, ie 243 or even a 22 centerfire. If he grows into a 300 mag, and he might, he's a long ways from needing one for anything. If that need did arise down the road, I'd think whatever the trip was would justify the purchase of another rifle. I don't think I'd even start a kid that young on a 308. I've used one a whole lot and recoil isn't that bad. But then I used to shoot a great deal and larger cartridges than the 308. To judge the recoil of even a 308 I'm probably not a good source. But you can always go up in calibre, you turn him off to quick and he may give it up all together.

That being said, when my grandson is ready and the grand daughter if she wants, they will start with either my 30-06 or 308. Secert is using cast bullet's in loads the give no more recoil than a 22 LR. 180gr bullet with about 18grs of Red Dot is a pussy cat! From there they can grow into a rifle buy increasing the bullet weight and velocity as the are comfortable.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Savage - Big Mistake?jim boyd602/16/2011 18:23 pm
Savage 111 vs. Stevens 200 vs. Marlin XL7sebastian slim801/22/2014 12:03 pm
savage model 99wyoelkhunter401/02/2008 07:42 am
Savage Edge groundhog307/15/2010 23:39 pm
Any owners of the Savage model 93G .22 magnum?redneckhunter203/31/2008 19:52 pm