11 replies [Last post]
savage 111

I shoot a savage 111 in a .270 I love this rifle but I have had it for a long time and as many of you already know the synthetic stock on this rifle leaves something to be desired. This rifle has the removable box magazine and I am having trouble finding an aftermarket stock that would actually be an upgrade. I am looking for something that will help with better long range accuracy as well as a good feel and decent look. if there is any suggestions let me know.

Savage 111 ?s

one more thing, any sugestions about some of the new "drop in" triggers and any other info for lang range accuracy

savage 111

We need a bit more info.

Does your rifle have the mag release button on the side of the stock or is it a release in a well on the bottom? If it's the latter you can contact Sharp Shooter Supply about one of their laminate stocks. If it's the former, I hate to say it but you are going to have a very difficult time trying to find something.

The trigger issue is easy to do. You can get with Sharp Shooter Supply or Rifle Basix about a trigger. Do you have an old style conventional trigger or an Accutrigger?

What do you mean by long range and how accurate do you need to be? Not trying to be rude but most shooters have differing ideas about each.

savage 111

The mag release is on the side and that is exactly the problem. as far as range 350 is my max on a critter , well deer and big game I cant hit a coyote at that range but I would like to but there are other issues I need to over come for that. as far as the rifle is concerned I want to do some bench shooting and see if we can stretch that range to 800 or more and hit a 6 or 8 inch target I know that I personally might not even be capable of this but it would sure be fun to try.

Oh and pre accutrigger

savage 111

Bench shooting is fun but you need to remember that you have a lightweight hunting rifle and not a target rifle. You will be limited in how well the rifle will perform.

savage 111

what type of range would you think that I COULD be accurate to.

savage 111

Savages are typically very accurate rifles so you should only be limited to your own ability to shoot at the various distances. Keep practicing and only you will be able to determine how far you and your setup are accurate to.

savage 111

TK;

What do you consider accurate to be?

savage 111
JCalhoun wrote:
TK;

What do you consider accurate to be?

I would like to hit a six or eight inch target at six to eight hundred yards

Just to say I can with a cheap rifle and my buddy cant with his nice ruger

I jest about the cheap and nice he thinks my gun is junk because it is composite and not a ruger but I like the savage over the ruger and have out shot him three years in a row during the mulie seasons.

One shot One kill

for him three shots no hits let alone kills
ha ha ha

savage 111

Learn your external ballistics, learn proper marksmanship shooting positions (even from a bench) and be able to read wind. Your wanting 1 MOA at 600-800 yards with a hunting rifle. Thats asking alot with your rig or any standard hunting rig for that matter. Best of luck.

PS there nothing wrong with your hunting rig just know your limits.

savage 111

Hey thanks for the input remington I have been a shooter all my life only 28 years but still been shooting since I can remember.
But to be completely honest I am just now getting into the seriousness of learning what it takes to be a GOOD shot and not just a decent shot.

I have learned that most hunters out there think that they are GOOD shots and in reality dont take the time to actually learn what it takes. they think that if they shoot two or three rounds at a piece of paper at 100 yards before the season and can hit the paper that makes them a GOOD shot. a few years ago me and my buddy got into trying to make ourselves and our rifles shoot better. I am still learning and hopefully will never quit learning.

again I LOVE MY SAVAGE but still dont like the stock.
haha

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Savage - Big Mistake?jim boyd602/16/2011 18:23 pm
Savage 111 vs. Stevens 200 vs. Marlin XL7sebastian slim801/22/2014 12:03 pm
savage model 99wyoelkhunter401/02/2008 07:42 am
Savage Edge groundhog307/15/2010 23:39 pm
Any owners of the Savage model 93G .22 magnum?redneckhunter203/31/2008 19:52 pm