24 replies [Last post]
Savage 110 - almost perfect hunting rifle?

Well I don't know...almost prefect?
The Savages, (I have 3 different rifles made by savage), while I would agree, they almost all seem to be shooters, not so sure I would label as perfect, or almost perfect.

I personally, cannot find perfection in any one, mfg, cal, bullet, etc...
each absolutely has its own place...but perfection, as in beuty, is in the eye of the beholder!

Yesterday I killed a nice whitetail buck with my Savage 110 that my Dad gave me for Christmas in 1977, I have killed 2 bucks and one antelope this year with this gun and it still shoots as good as the day I got it. This gun still has the original stock that came with it although it has been customized to fit me. No glass bedding , no trigger jobs or any of the other things that people do to improve accuracy. Not putting any of those things down, I just feel that this gun does not need any of that, it is already capable of more accuracy than I am. I have had the good luck to use and own several different rifles over my life, but the confidence I have in this particular gun is whar separates it from all of the others. I have missed deer with it but none of those misses was the fault of the gun. And in the end, isn't that all we can really ask for? That it does it's part each and every time we ask it to.

I really like my 110, also. But I probably didn't need as heavy a caliber as a 7mm mag. I'm glad I didn't sell it, after firing it again. Everybody needs a long-range rifle in the gun cabinet. Never know when we might go out west or something. And it will put any deer down quickly. I am impressed with the trigger-pull right out of the box. The only complaint that I would have would be the "fatness" of the stock and pistol-grip. I don't think they needed to make the stock so thick. And the finish on the wood is very "slick". You have to make sure you have a good grip on it at all times, especially when wearing gloves. So, other than being "thick and slick", it's fine.

I hear what your saying about the stock. About 20 years ago I had my stock customized by a friend. He sanded the stock down, including removing the stamped checkering. In all he removed almost a pound of wood from the stock, then put hand cut checkering on the fore-arm and pistol grip. I am short, so he shortened the stock to fit me and "moved" the monte carlo cheek forward. This made the gun feel like it had been made at the factory for me personally. It has a few dings and scratches on it now but I would not trade it for a gold monkey.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Can't afford a Dakota so, I'll shoot for a Savage 16FLOldnavy305/28/2009 19:55 pm
Savage - Big Mistake?jim boyd602/16/2011 18:23 pm
Savage 16FLHSS or a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 300WSM?????Oldnavy105/31/2009 15:59 pm
savagecodfish203/30/2009 18:33 pm
Savage 111 ?sTKleather408/31/2009 09:38 am