24 replies [Last post]
Savage 110 - almost perfect hunting rifle?
JCalhoun wrote:
I have four Savage actions, four different stocks, and eight barrels. Takes about 15-20 minutes in the garage to swap barrels and about 30 minutes if a bolt head swap is included.

I found this forum by accident, Wow!, I had no idea this was possible. So, I had to sign up to ask some questions.

Forgive me for jumping in with my ignorance.

I looked up Shilen (among others) and, now, would like to know more about bolt heads: Who, where, and rank of manufacturers.

Also, is the barrel swaping limited to the 110/10 series or are 110,111,112,114 etc. all attached the same and or interchangeable. Does right/Left hand matter? What about the "fat" magnum cases; would the magazine need to be modified to feed properly? Or are you limited to single shot? Say .338 win. to .270 win. to .204 ruger? or a similar combination, Maybe the previous with .223 WSSM?

Any additional information on this subject would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Here ya go nismo... Just click the link... Has pictures and all... If you need more just give a yelp Thumbs up

http://www.switchbarrel.com/Savage%20FAQ.htm

Nismo;

All the info you will ever need about Savage rifles can be found at savageshooters.com.

Basically, any Savage made after the mid-60's are interchangable with the standard size barrel shank. The exceptions are with the RUM/WSM chambers and the LRPV and F-Class rifles, these use the larger sized barrel shank.

The bolthead change is required when swapping between small cases (.223 class), standard cases (.30-06 class) and magnum cases.

bitmasher's picture

Actually the price on a new 110 package and a basic blued encore package is roughly the same with the encore tending to be a bit lower.

I would expect the TC and Savage factory barrels to, on average, be about the same in the accuracy department. Both have custom barrel makers for after market improvements.

Now if the question was: "What is the best bolt action for a non-gunsmith to tinker with?" I'd have to agree that Savage actions have the rest beat.

The 7mm Mag.

Well, I DID keep the 110, after all. I only had 4 bullets from the original box, and test-fired it for accuracy. It is dead-on at a couple hundred yards. I had replaced those "cheap" scope rings with leupold base and rings right after I bought it(new). Well, I went to my local sporting goods place, and they only had 7mm bullets in 175 grain wt. For 25.00, I bought a box, and came home to see how they would fly. The older bullets were a little lighter. I took a small pumpkin out of the garden, set it out a couple hundred yards, and exploded it. By the way, Somebody mentioned trigger problems with the 110. Mine has a near-perfect trigger. Fairly light-pull, and just a very little travel. Glad y'all helped me decide to keep the gun.......THANKS!!!!!

Big smile Thumbs up

I'm in here very late in this thread, but the person who reccomended he keep the Savage 110 is a smart man! Thumbs up

The old ugly duckling Savage 110 has always been cussed by those who never owned one! I'm one who absolutely loves a fine rifle, with all the skilled artisan's fine touches. That being said, there is a place for a rifle that simply does what a rifle was intended to do, put a bullet where you hold, and do it every time regardless of weather, or dust, or scars on it's surfaces. That is the mantra of the Savage 110. I've never seen one that wouldn't shoot the eye out of a humming bird with a good rest, and a skilled shooter! It is a rifle that you can carry daily in a rifle rack in a dusty old ranch truck, and when it gets a little surface rust on the outside, you don't puke when you see it. You can paint the rifle with cammoflague paint, and beat hell out of it, and like the old Timex, it will take a licking, and keep on ticking.

The savage 110 in the hands of a man who knows his rifle will certainly be someone, you don't want to challange at the fireing line to a contest, because his rifle looks a little ragged. He's just liable to shoot your pants off!

Hang on to that old raggedy man, it will serve you well a long way down the road! Thumbs up

Amen, Brother! I have only shot this gun at one deer, an 8-pointer, and it hit the ground(dead). I plan on keeping it. Yes, I have some expensive, high-quality rifles that I really like, also. They are all Remingtons, but don't shoot any better than the 110.

cam69conv, JCalhoun:

Thanks for the links, I've learned a bit the past few days. I got excited about the 15-30min changeovers, I thought about the 10/22s but I see this is a little more involved. Perhaps someday I'll try it...

Thanks again

You're welcome.

Go ahead and give it a try. It's easier than it sounds.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Can't afford a Dakota so, I'll shoot for a Savage 16FLOldnavy305/28/2009 19:55 pm
Savage - Big Mistake?jim boyd602/16/2011 18:23 pm
Savage 16FLHSS or a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 300WSM?????Oldnavy105/31/2009 15:59 pm
savagecodfish203/30/2009 18:33 pm
Savage 111 ?sTKleather408/31/2009 09:38 am