24 replies [Last post]
Don Fischer's picture
Savage 110 - almost perfect hunting rifle?

I have been following the thread on the 7mm Mag and weather or not to keep it. It occurred to me that that old 110 Savage just may be a perfect hunting rifle, regardless of cartridge.

They were, and still are, wonderfully accurate and that stock isn't so pretty you'll worry about the odd scratch on it. The barrels were blue but not highly polished so didn't glare a lot for those that care.

If you didn't like the cartridge or just wanted a new one, just swap out the barrel at home and I think the bolt head replaces also.

The big flaw, and it was big, was that trigger. But Sharp Shooter Supply fixed that for $85. I can't think of any other rifle in any class as flexible. I would almost bet a decent refinishing could do wonders for that stock too.

Now if anyone from Savage is watching, the "Savage" on the bolt is really tacky and adds nothing to the performance! Makes me think of a Rolls Royce with it's name on the fender in 2" gold letters! Or maybe a BMW that was painter with latex house paint!

I gotta agree with you. I got my first Savage because it was the only left handed rifle in the rack and with a price tag of $200, irresistable. It is very accurate and has never given me any problems. It is now my next project. I am planning to covert it to a 35 Whelen with a Pacnor barrel.

Don;

I completely agree. Don't worry too much about the tacky Savage printed on the bolt body. It wears off. Wink

Rodney;

If you are looking at spending money on a premium barrel, I recommend Shilen. They will pre-thread and pre-chamber for Savage rifles. Pac-Nor's customer service leaves a lot to be desired when something is their fault and quality isn't what it used to be. If all you want is a hunting barrel that is similar to factory quality, look at ER Shaw. They have Savage barrels too for a lot less money.

Thanks for the info.

The no frills rifle that I always liked was the Remington 600 Mohawk in 308 with that short 18.5 inch barrel.
But Savage wins overall if changing the stove pipe is that easy Thumbs up

bitmasher's picture
Re: Savage 110 - almost perfect hunting rifle?
Don Fischer wrote:
I can't think of any other rifle in any class as flexible.

Except perhaps the Remington 700...

Howa, under its own name and various others, also makes a good rifle for the same money or less than a savage.

I have four Savage actions, four different stocks, and eight barrels. Takes about 15-20 minutes in the garage to swap barrels and about 30 minutes if a bolt head swap is included.

Don Fischer wrote:
Now if anyone from Savage is watching, the "Savage" on the bolt is really tacky and adds nothing to the performance! Makes me think of a Rolls Royce with it's name on the fender in 2" gold letters! Or maybe a BMW that was painter with latex house paint!

+1

Don Fischer's picture
bitmasher wrote:
Don Fischer wrote:
I can't think of any other rifle in any class as flexible.

Except perhaps the Remington 700...

Howa, under its own name and various others, also makes a good rifle for the same money or less than a savage.

700 is a good rifle but when it comes to flexable, the 110 leaves it in the dust. As JC said, 30 min in the garage and you have a whole new rifle. Ya don't need worry about dings on the stock, it's not a $300 piece of walnut and darn few rifles shoot with them out of the box.

I really liked the Rem 600's I've had too. My son has my last one, actuallt a 660 in 308 w/20" barrel. But it still won't turn into something else the way the 110 will. Imagine your wanting to keep your 30-06 but would also like to have a 264 mag. No problem. Just put on a different barrel and bolt head and your good to go. Ya can't do that with any other rifle I know of!

bitmasher's picture

Except....

T/C encore or contender
Sako Quad
Blasers
CVA Optima Elite
H&R Pardner
Knight KP1

With a collection of uppers you can get quite a bit of different quick change cartridges easily out of an AR-15/10 as well, although admittedly this is a bit more expensive than a barrel change.

I have nothing against Savage, they are a solid company delivering a good value.

Don Fischer's picture

Few small flaws Bit. Initial cost, accuracy and finish you might not like to get scratched up.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Can't afford a Dakota so, I'll shoot for a Savage 16FLOldnavy305/28/2009 19:55 pm
Savage - Big Mistake?jim boyd602/16/2011 18:23 pm
Savage 16FLHSS or a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 300WSM?????Oldnavy105/31/2009 15:59 pm
savagecodfish203/30/2009 18:33 pm
Savage 111 ?sTKleather408/31/2009 09:38 am