5 replies [Last post]
Ruger m77 in a .243 or .25-06? ... Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest?

Hey everyone... I need some help picking out my first deer (whitetail only) rifle... although I'm 99% sure I'm going with the Ruger m77 all-weather (synthetic stock, etc). I just can't decide on a .243 or .25-06.

I'll be using this to shoot whitetail, and please don't tell me that a .243 or .25-06 is not powerful enough! I have two buddies that have the same gun, chambered in each of these - and they have killed plenty of whitetail with them both!

Alright, so I've shot the m77 in .243 and .25-06... and I couldn't tell a difference. One buddy swears by the .243 and the other by the .25-06.

What are your thoughts? Which one is more effective for whitetail, and why??

Also, I'm going to purchase a scope for this rifle. I'm really looking at the Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest. In my (limited) experience, 3-9 is good for whitetail hunting. Correct? It's about $400 shipped, but I know Zeiss lenses are top quality.

Does anyone have any experience with this rifle scope? I assume a 40 will fit on a Ruger m77? I guess I could buy it, try it, and if not... wait until I get another gun (later)!

PLEASE share some of your knowledge. I'm some-what new to whitetail and I want to get ready for Dec. '08!

Thanks!

I personally don't own a ruger yet, or either cal, but both would be very sufficient for whitetail's, It is all up to personal preference, The ruger all weather is still an awesome choice. my wifes cousin shot a nice lil buck on youth weekend with a .243 @ 200yrds. just my 2 cents. My next rifle will be the m77 all weather Hawkeye. ( wont mention cal. --I'll just say it's a big one )

The M77 is an outstanding choice for a bolt rifle.

The .243 and 25-06 are both fine calibers in their own right. Either one would be sufficient to harvest whitetails for the rest of your life.

jonesy is very correct in his statement of it being a personal preference. My wife's .243 has never failed. However, the 25-06 does shoot flatter and hits a bit harder.

Personally, I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

I think you are making an excellent choice in going with the Ruger M77. I perosnally own 5 of them in different calibers and love them all. I have a .243, .270, 30 06, 300 Win Mag, and a .22 hornet. I haven't had any experience with the 25 06, but I can tell you that none have them have failed me and I believe you can't go wrong with them. I haven't any experiences with the Zeiss scope, I have Leupolds on all of mine but to answer your question about the 40 mm scope, yes it will fit. Ruger has their own scope rings that come in three different heights. I use the tallest on mine because my scopes are 50 mm. So if it doesn't fit don't scrap the scope just get the next higher set of rings.

Tom

I have a Ruger all weather in 30-06 & i think they're very good rifles. I suggest you have the trigger fine tuned, the factory setting is to high. As far as the caliber, my choice would be the 25-06. It's a great caliber even for big bodied muledeer & an excellent choice for antelope. I originally purchased a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 for my 30-06. I wasn't happy with the clarity at long range & sent it back to Cabelas & i replaced it with a Leupold 3.5x10x40 Vari XIII. It could of just been that one scope i know Zeiss makes quality optics.

I have probably killed most of my deer with a Remington model 788 in .243. Also killed alot with a 700ADL in .243. I would suggest one thing, however, and that is the Federal Premium 100gr. vital-shock bullets. My guns love them and they have a very impressive result. Every gun is different, however, and some guns like different bullets. Back years ago, when Federal made their 'plain old" high-power bullets that came in a red and white box, all of them were, in my opinion, about as perfect as you could get. At that time, it seemed that the "plain" Remington core-locked bullets would group equally as well, but didn't have the stopping power of the Federals. Anyway, I like shooting "optimum" loads in the .243(but not those new-fangled ballistic tips). I only have one .243 now, and it's a 788 that was made in 1978. I LOVE a .243. Good luck with yours. You won't regret it.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like