4 replies [Last post]
niceshot_smitty's picture
the Ruger 77/357 rifle

Ok i think Ruger has out done them self this time.  a bolt action 357mag. in model 77...  I would have to see and handal one to say anymore.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I like the idea but I doubt

I like the idea but I doubt that it will last very long.  The .357 magnum is a fine handgun round and does quite well in a lever action rifle but I don't see a need for a bolt action in this chambering. 

Now if Ruger wanted to sell a lot of rifles they should bring back the semi automatic .44 magnum carbine and also offer it in the .357 magnum.  I would break down the door to get my hands on one of those rifles again. 

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I have always found these

I have always found these bolt action pistol cartridge rifles interesting but the price would have to be really good before I would ever pick one up. The Ruger has a little more appeal for me but as said the prices they go for is pretty high now. If I remember right I think Remington made a bolt action 44 a long time ago as well.

My Marlin lever action 44 has served me well for a bit more than 25 years now so that is probably the only one I will ever have or need.

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
77/.357

Remington did indeed make a .44 mag bolt gun, the M788, a very inexpensive bolt rifle from a couple decades ago. And, as a matter of fact, Ruger did already bring back their semi-auto .44 mag carbine with a new design (along with a .44 lever carbine) a while back and I'd have to suppose sales sucked on both as they were gone within a few years.

Personally, a .357 bolt gun holds zero interest for me. I do own a real .35 bolt gun, in .358 Win and have owned one or two in .35 Whelen. I simply do not see a need for a bolt gun capable to about 100 yards for big game. For smaller game any number of other chamberings would work IMHO. Of course, that's just me...lol.  Big smile

niceshot_smitty's picture
well I got to handle one this

well I got to handle one this weekend and it looks funny looking.  i give it about a year and it will be one of these guns never heard from again.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like