5 replies [Last post]
RSA Hunts - January and March 2006

J Hand from North Carolina hunted with me in three provinces of the RSA this year and took some great trophies:

Cape Buffalo - Mpumalanga Province

Cape Eland - North West Province

Southern Impala with 26" horns that is well into RW and SCI hunted in North West Province

Greater Kudu - Limpopo Province

RW Nyala - North West Province

Gemsbok - Limpopo Province

RW and SCI Record Book Waterbuck - Limpopo Province

Limpopo Bushbuck (SCI Record Book) - Limpopo Province

What a fantastic time we had! Mr. Hand hunted in the RSA three times this year and we're busy planning his 4th hunt for later this year.

I love pics from africa. Those are all good looking animals. I checked out your site, I had some questions that you might be able to answer. My wife wants to (or states she wants) take up hunting and she told me that she is going with me when I go to Africa. My problem would be getting there and then having her take one animal and or none at all, and find that she really dosen't like it. So could her daily rates change from Hunter to observer or is that a fixed thing? Also I know you can usually take extra game but when setting this up we say she wants a kudu and a impala and she take the impala and dosen't want to take a Kudu are we still responable for paying for a kudu? I dont want to screw over my PH but I dont want to spend money on nothing when I could take more animals my self. I hope this isn't to confusing.

clearwaterart wrote:
My problem would be getting there and then having her take one animal and or none at all, and find that she really dosen't like it. So could her daily rates change from Hunter to observer or is that a fixed thing?

Clearwaterart, thank you for your reply. What I would suggest is that you consider booking a 2 X 1 hunt. The daily rate for such a hunt for two clients is pretty much the same as what it would have been if you booked a 1 X 1 hunt for yourself and booked for an observer accompanying you. That way it will be of no consequence if your wife decided she doesn't want to continue hunting and she will still have the thrill and experience of hunting Africa.

clearwaterart wrote:
Also I know you can usually take extra game but when setting this up we say she wants a kudu and a impala and she take the impala and doesn't want to take a Kudu are we still responable for paying for a kudu? I dont want to screw over my PH but I dont want to spend money on nothing when I could take more animals my self. I hope this isn't to confusing.

You only have to pay for the animals that you kill or wound - not for animals that you book at the time of the hunt. So if she booked two animals and only shot one she'd only have to pay for the one she shot. You'd be more than welcome to hunt the animals that she decided not to hunt.

Thank you for answering my questions, you were very helpful. If you dont mind I have a couple more questions. Your Gwalawala Tented Camp looks amazing, I would like a Kudu, Nyala and Gemsbuck these are the most important animals to me, and maybe bushbuck and or impala. Can these all be taken from your Tented camp or as I'm guessing my animals to spread out? Also do you think that my primary three are to much for a first time trip to africa or to much for let say a 7 day hunt?

sorry just one more question, do plan on getting a booth or plan on being at the next SCI convention in Reno?

clearwaterart wrote:
sorry just one more question, do plan on getting a booth or plan on being at the next SCI convention in Reno?

I had a booth at the ISE show in SLC last year and am still contemplating whether I should attend the next SCI convention.

The species you mentioned in your previous post are all available at or near Gwala Gwala but the trophy quality is better in the North West and Limpopo - especially for Gemsbok. Shoot me a mail or PM and I'll respond in detail.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like