5 replies [Last post]
Removing Iron Sights From REM. 700

Has anyone removed the factory iron sights from a remington model 700? If so, what screws did you use to plug the threaded holes tapped into the barrel? If i use the factory srcrews, it looks like they will be protruding from the barell when tightened. Haven't tried yet, just looking from some advice before I decide to do it.

Any gunsmith will give you a couple of "blanks" to flushly fill the holes. A wrap of electrical tape will work too. Thumbs up

This is for mounting a scope I presume? If so, all I did was remove the back elevation sight by loosening the screw and sliding it off. The front bead doesn't interfere with the scopes sight picture.
Yes, you can get shorter screws to fill the holes if you decide to remove it completely too.

Carl

thanks for the advice. i might leave the front sight on since it doesn't seem to cause any concern.

Tell me if this sounds crazy but I melted wax into the holes to keep them filled and when I was ready to put the open sights back on I melted them back out and slapped them back on. The threads were clean a year later so it worked for me. I'm not sure , it could be the worst thing ever to do , just a thought.
Hank

thats an original solution...saves trying to find screws to fill in the holes. Might be worth a try as long as it doesn't hurt the finish. Thanks .

Related Forum Threads You Might Like