3 replies [Last post]
Don Fischer's picture
Remington's reply - 700 safty issue

Just found this on another site. Never believed for one sec it was anything other than a handling problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YjmOSAZDpfU

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Safety problem

Don Fischer wrote:

Just found this on another site. Never believed for one sec it was anything other than a handling problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YjmOSAZDpfU

Well Don, 

You can obviously think whatever you might want VS the KNOWN defect in the M700 safety system. But I know better. I'd suggest you look into the problems with the m600 & 660 safeties and then wonder why they were dropped.(simply google that). Then I'd wonder why the safties on the M700s were ALL changed to allowing the safety to be engaged when the bolt was opened. This happened in about 1980 +/-, perhaps before any M700 you have ever handled??...

There were/are problems associated with the M700, but, as Remington hoped, most of you/us have never handled a rifle made before 1980 that had to have the safety disengaged to unload (or load).

Topgun 30-06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
The inventor himself, Mike

The inventor himself, Mike Walker, said a number of times that the trigger needed to be reworked because of inherent problems of it firing when it shouldn't and Remington dicked around until there were so many sold that they decided to keep it quiet and settle lawsuits rather than fix the friggin thing.  Finally, after decades they changed the design in the 700s and damned if they didn't go and put the defective ones in the cheaper 770 to compete with the Savage and other similar markets.  I wouldn't use one of their rifles if it was given to me after the BS they pulled!!! 

Don Fischer's picture
I'm not gonna be convinced

I'm not gonna be convinced that there really was a problem in the first place. I've owned a lot of 700's a few 600's and have never even come close to the problem they talk about. I've tried to get other people's 700's to do that, haven't been able to do it. A trigger improperly adjusted could very well be a problem but that has nothing to do with the design. I think it was Mr Walker, the inventer, was supposed to have said that the trigger was defective. If he did then why did Remington ever put it in the first rifle? I have never heard him say that either, have any of you? I have heard anti gun media claim it. A company like Remington has just to much to lose to put out a product like that knowingly. I don't buy the whole thing. I do believe that the 700's and 600's are as safe as the person using them.

Now I can close the bolt with my finger on the trigger on my 700's and they will drop the hammer. So will every other rifle I ever saw. That proves nothing. I recall a TV show years ago where Remington was being bashed for a 700 going off and a guy hitting himself in the foot. He was in his truck pointing his rifle at his foot and unloading it. sorry, that guy lose's all crediability with me. I strongly suspect that he was cycling every round thru the chamber. I hear a lot of people saying thats how they unload. Absolutely no reason to do that even with an ADL or one of the 600's.

Make's me think of what the auto industry went thru with the Chevy's with the gas tank behind the seat. Blows up when you get hit broadside, wonder why? Was it the fault of Chevrolet or the guy that ran into the side of the Chevy pickup?

The anti's have made a great deal of this 700 safty thing and the only thing we heard in the new's was what they wanted us to hear. I think they said you'd never hear that Remington disclaimer on liberal news. Duh, but that's just where all the negative press came from.

Anybody has a 700 or 600 they want to get rid of for safty reasons, send it to me and I'll take care of it for you.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Reply issue?numbnutz110/12/2011 12:28 pm
Reply To "Reply To "Crappy Site""CVC010/27/2012 12:46 pm
ReplysGooseHunter Jr010/12/2011 11:28 am
What Is With This Forum and IECritter404/04/2014 13:09 pm
7mm Mag. Remington or WeatherbyTRAY1502/03/2004 19:54 pm