12 replies [Last post]
Remington model 7400 270 , or Browning BAR 270

ive read different thing on these 2 guns both are made of the same type parts and both are gas reloaded... the price difference is about $350.... browning being more....i read that the REM semi has tendencys to lock up but read also to use this no freezoing lubracant on all semi to prevent this in cold weather....heard bad and good things just wondering if there both really made with the same kind of parts why is 1 better or more reliable or is it more some 1s personal pref..... i would like to by the REM 7400 270 .... aways liked the REM gun line.... OOOO 1 more thing read that the 7400 model is a newer improved 740 model REM made is that true Brick Wall,)

I was never a semi-auto fan for one reason: Reliability
Something as simple as a pine needle or two in the wrong location can impede/stop the auto mechanism, makeing the rifle inoperable. Cleaning can be a real problem.
I much prefer the bolt action,easy to inspect,easy to clean and how fast does a second shot have to be anyway?
If tyou are going to be hunting in very cold temps, I'd definately not be useing a semi auto regardless of lubricant. A few drops of water in sub zero weather wins every time.
Saying that, many folks never seem to have a problem. Other members who have more experience with the semis will no doubt be here to help.

Big smile

Hi WTH , I have used semi's for over 30 years in Upstate NY. I started out with a Rem 742 adl them a 742 bdl then switched over to a Browning BAR all in 3006. In all the years only once did I have a reliaibility problem and it was my fault. I was hunting in the Adirondacks in the rain one day and was planning on heading home to give it a good cleaning. It turned very cold and snowed about 6 inches over night. Well when I saw that in the morning I just had to get out and hunt another day. From being wet the day before it froze up on me .You have to keep them clean but you should keep all your guns clean anyway. Rem and Browning both make good guns. If you work the action on each you will feel a big difference in the BAR. It works a lot smoother. Good or bad??? The one draw back with an semi is the weight as compared with a bolt. For me ,so far ,the extra weight is worth it to have a quick follow up quiet shot. Hope this helps, Jim

I have both the 7400 in 270 & Bar 300 WIN MAG W/ BOSS. I keep them cleaned and oiled and have never had a problem with them. they are great for me. I'm right handed, but shoot left handed because I can hardly see out of my right eye, and I busted up my right shoulder a few years ago. I live 8 hours due south of KC and don't get the cold weather you get up there. you should consider a bolt action for hunting they load quiter and you can see the saftey from a shoulderd position. they clean easier as well

I'm perfectly content with a Remington 7400 30-06 that's never had a misfeed except on the first round when new. Nothing since then and it has fired down to 5/8" groups with factory ammo.

I cant speak for the 7400 but years ago I had a Remington 742 Gamemaster (predecessor to the 7400) and I named it the Hang Master........

Someone stole it out of my pickup truck and that really pleased me!

I have a Remington 760 pump and thoroughly love it. Acurate, free floating barrell, shoots good groups.

As for an Auto, I have a browning BAR 30.06 and it shoots great! Very easy on the shoulder, shoots tight groups, and has never failed me once!

Rajun Cajun wrote:
I cant speak for the 7400 but years ago I had a Remington 742 Gamemaster (predecessor to the 7400) and I named it the Hang Master........

Someone stole it out of my pickup truck and that really pleased me!

I had a 742 gamemaster and it couldn't hit a cow in the @$$ at 10' It had to be the most inaccurate rifle I had the displeasure of shooting. Oops!

Normally, 7400's shoot 3 MOA out of the box. If you loosen the forarm screw you'll knock an inch or so off the groups. Tuning the trigger from 7 1/2 pounds to 2 1/2 takes another 1/2" to 3/4" for improved precision. I also added a LimbSaver Barrel Deresonator and it took 1/4" to 1/2" off the group size depending on the ammo. The Barrel Deresonator doesn't work well with bolt actions, but with rifles with moving parts like the semi-autos, there is a good chance they''ll help.

Steve

I love the look and feel of the Remingtons. But when you want accuracy Go with the BAR ! I've learned this lesson over and over again. I just bought a New Rem. 750 woodmaster, after three trips to the range and a return to the factory then to the range again. I gave up. I've never had a problems with Rem. Winchester 100" or the Bar in rejuards to reliability. Just keep em clean !

First post - been lurking in the shadows for awhile. Great web site and the knowledge in the forums is tops. What more can I say.

My Remington 7400 (.30-06, semi gloss stock with engraved receiver) is set up with lightweight Talley rings and a Weaver K Series 4x38 fixed power scope - shoot s consistant 3" groups or less at 100 yards. I think the thing that people need to keep in mind is - the 7400 is a semi auto hunting rifle not a bolt action target gun. So many people get hung up on sub MOA on hunting rifles - no need. 3" at 100 yards with remington 180 gr soft point core lokts is more than acceptable accuracy when hunting whitetail in Maine - my longest shot might be 80-100 yards tops. I have never had a problem with feeding or extracting in the 4 years that I have owned this rifle. Great gun.

MA30-06

redrider's picture

Welcome to the site MA30-06 Big smile I believe we are all just normal guys and gals that have a passion for the outdoors and like to share what each of us knows. I'm sure you'll fit right in Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like