6 replies [Last post]
Remington Express 870 combo

I'm having a hard time making up my mind on what to get, originally it was just going to be a rifle then, I thouhg maybe a shot gun too and now someone suggested this as an alternative to both. Does anyone here have any experience with this gun/combo? A good point was made that I'll probably never really be taking a shot over 100 yards at big game in ontario. My only concern is the groupings out of the rifled barrel, what groupings can you expect from a slug? Also scope options, what should I be considering and looking at for the rifled barrel? I should also tell you what I'm hunting, grouse, ducks and whitetail.

thanks

It sounds like a shotgun with barrel combos is just what you need. If I was buying just one firearm, that exact one (Rem 870) would be my choose as well. You can expect 2.5" groups out of the rifled barrel which is way more accurate than you need to be at 100 yds hunting big game. Make sure you get a quality scope because the shotgun will kick hard with slugs so the scope has to up for the task. I like Leupold but Bushnell has great scopes as do Burris, Nikon, etc. If you get sights on the barrel you may not even need a scope. Great chioce of firearm! Thumbs up

thanks for the reply. A couple more questions- what has to be done if I wanted to mount a red dot sight on this gun, does it need to be drilled and tapped etc... and also what is the recoil pad like, I'm considering upgrading the pad if it's not much good
thanks

The rifle barrel will be drilled and tapped for a scope mount so that won't be a problem and as for the recoil pad... Remington has put the R3 (limbsaver) recoil pad on all their rifles and shotguns and it is supposed to be top notch. Recoil will not be an issue while hunting because you will be pumped at the time you shoot and will probably not know you even shot. At the range you can use "Past Recoil shoulder pads" or pad your jacket when shooting.

Thanks, I was more concerned about shooting at the range or at clays, trying to maximize the number I can shoot at in a day.

Check these out. http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/past.html They may be of benefit to you. As always, the more you shoot the less you feel the kick. The clay shooting will be done with light loads so you will probably not have a problem with them.

A lot of modern shotguns are barrel-interchangeable. If your shots are only going to span out to 100 yards, you might want to consider just going with iron sights so you can swap barrels more efficiently than you could with a scope on the gun.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
remington 300flyanbrian1711/28/2007 14:17 pm
I shot my Remington 870 Express for the first time...e4c4ever807/15/2007 22:18 pm
SHOTGUN Questionbigdog9688408/22/2007 16:29 pm
slugsdiamondman197111/26/2009 09:27 am
Remington 870 F.S.hunter712012/12/2005 17:09 pm