8 replies [Last post]
Remington 870 express, stocks.

There are a bunch of aftermarket stocks available. The camo is cool. But how necessary is it to have camo? How bad will it be to hunt with normal stock?

Is camo that necessary? I know that for Turkey it's important. What about deer, ducks, pheasant, and rabbit?

I think camo is noticed more by other hunters than it is by games animals. Keep your rifles glare free and they will be just as good as their camo counter-part. Lack of camo never stopped our forefathers from shooting game. It is more marketing than substance IMHO.

I agree.

I agree the only advantage of the factory camo finish is to reduce the glare. I believe that the standard models come with a matte finish on the barrel, magazine tube, and reciever. If you desire to, you can paint the wood stocks with an Ultra-flat olive drab green spray paint. You can pick up a can of the paint at walmart for about $5.

ADKBEAR's picture
ChesterGolf wrote:
I think camo is noticed more by other hunters than it is by games animals. Keep your rifles glare free and they will be just as good as their camo counter-part. Lack of camo never stopped our forefathers from shooting game. It is more marketing than substance IMHO.

What he said Thumbs up

ADKBEAR wrote:
ChesterGolf wrote:

What he said Thumbs up

cool! Thumbs up

WesternHunter's picture

Personally I think the camo stocks (pattern of your choice) look good only if you get the barrel and reciever finished to match the stock and fore end. They are not required to be successful. As Chestergolf pointed out, stuff like that seems to be noticed more by other hunters than by game. I had considered having my trustworthy Remington 11-87 SP fitted with a Shadowgrass stock/fore-end and have the steel refinished to match as well, but then I remembered something that happened to me and a friend on a Fall 2001 deer hunt..... I was using a camouflauge handled Gerber folding knife to show my buddy how to field dress his very first buck when at some point during the task he set the knife down on the ground. When I went to pick it back up I had to look real hard to find it because the knife handle blended in so well with the ground and the blade had a sandblased non-glare finish. Just took me a while to see the darn thing. I'm worried that if I get my 11-87 shotgun finished in camo that I may set it down in the cattails and reeds on a duck hunt one day and not be able to find it fast enough at the critical moment lol lol lol

WesternHunter wrote:
Personally I think the camo stocks (pattern of your choice) look good only if you get the barrel and reciever finished to match the stock and fore end. They are not required to be successful. As Chestergolf pointed out, stuff like that seems to be noticed more by other hunters than by game. I had considered having my trustworthy Remington 11-87 SP fitted with a Shadowgrass stock/fore-end and have the steel refinished to match as well, but then I remembered something that happened to me and a friend on a Fall 2001 deer hunt..... I was using a camouflauge handled Gerber folding knife to show my buddy how to field dress his very first buck when at some point during the task he set the knife down on the ground. When I went to pick it back up I had to look real hard to find it because the knife handle blended in so well with the ground and the blade had a sandblased non-glare finish. Just took me a while to see the darn thing. I'm worried that if I get my 11-87 shotgun finished in camo that I may set it down in the cattails and reeds on a duck hunt one day and not be able to find it fast enough at the critical moment lol lol lol

Wow! That happened to some customer on Cabelas. One comment about his camo stock and fore-end. He laid his rifle on the floor and could not find it. He lost the rifle "forever". I thought it was some scheme to sell the product. Brick Wall,)

WesternHunter's picture

Of course now that I think about it, the fact that camo jobs are noticed more by other hunters than by game, is kinda the whole point. The animal is not supposed to notice it, and as those Cabelas cusomers know by now, sometimes the hunter doesn't either.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Black Synthetic Stocks for Remington 870 shotgunbassrat68010/24/2007 14:40 pm
SHOTGUN Questionbigdog9688408/22/2007 16:29 pm
Question on synthetic stocksHeeman611/23/2006 03:08 am
I shot my Remington 870 Express for the first time...e4c4ever807/15/2007 22:18 pm
slugsdiamondman197111/26/2009 09:27 am