7 replies [Last post]
Remington 710

I recently acquired a Remington 710 in 7mm mag. From this site and others, I have heard both good and bad things about this model. Is there anything specific that anyone can tell me about this model? Thanks in advance.

Ex-toyman

WesternHunter's picture
Remington 710

Don't have any direct experience with the 710 rifle. I will say that Remington once made some really great quality and reasonably priced hunting rifles and shotguns up until about five years ago or so. I own two 870's, one 11-87, and two 700's, all made prior to 1998, except for one of the 870's it's new. I really like my Remingtons. However, what I've seen and experienced lately (within the last 5 years or so) with Remington has made me think that I will no longer purchase a brand new Remington firearm ever again. Seen some real inexcusable flaws and defects even on those new guns sitting on the shelf. Real bad metal to stock fitting. Stock inlets that pressed against one side of the rifle barrel, it was even a synthetic stock, no exuse for that stuff.

Had to send my newer 870 in for warranty repair about 2 weeks after purchase because the ejector spring was not working to assist in ejecting spent shells. This happened from the first shot ever fired with it. Was not thrilled that Remington customer service told me that new guns need to be broken-in first. What a terrible excuse for poor workmanship and bad quality control. I really let them have an ear full. Remington doesn't even repair 90% of the guns that come in for warranty repair, they send them out to authorized repair centers. Gee, they can't even fix most of their own mistakes. That really tells me something about them as a company. I've also known enough people who have bought some newer Remington guns and had quality and functional problems with them as well. Though I'm sure not all of the newer guns are bad, but my experience with them lately has made me sour towards them as a company.

Hard to believe that they spent years designing, making, and selling one of the best shotguns in the world only to let quality slide recently. I think Remington will eventually become just an importer of foreign made guns anyway or maybe even end up shutting down like U.S. Repeating Arms (Winchester). I do however sincerely hope that they can get their act together and produce the same quality that they once had.

If your new gun functions well and shoots straight then you got a good quality rifle and don't think less of it. Don't let my bad experience taint your idea of Remington or your new gun, because I'm sure that there are many good quality guns still being made by them.

Remington 710

I didnt know rem made the 710 in 7mm. I got a buddy that uses a 710 chambered in .270. I thought they were only chambered in .06 and .270. I have heard good and bad things about the 710 but no personnal experience. They are on the lower price of remington market but remington is known for making good quality firearms.

Remington 710

Personally I have never had any luck with remingtons. I heard the trigger pull on the 710 was horrible, but then again I have never bothered to shoot one. The wife has a remington 788 , but I have never shot it.

Don Fischer's picture
Remington 710

Welcome to BGH Ted. You don't want to shoot that 788 of your wife's either. It might change your mind about Remington. I used to be a big Remington fan but think they've,,,,,,,,,downgraded. But the old 788 and the old 600 series rifles were super shooters. My last 788 I did some stock work on, accented the pistol grip. re-finished the wood and added QD swivels. I loved it!

Remington 710

Thank you everyone.

Ex-toyman

Remington 710
AlphaMan wrote:
I didnt know rem made the 710 in 7mm. I got a buddy that uses a 710 chambered in .270. I thought they were only chambered in .06 and .270. I have heard good and bad things about the 710 but no personnal experience. They are on the lower price of remington market but remington is known for making good quality firearms.

They actually made them in a couple different calibers- 270,7mm,30-06 and 300 Win Mag.

I would personally stay away from the 710's but since this one was given to you,shoot it until it's done (which shouldnt take long). They were a poor excuse for a budget rifle and Remington screwed the pooch on it. Just too many un-quality things went into that gun.Not my first choice.

Tim

Remington 710

Well, it wasn't given to me, but I was able to purchase it new in the box for about $150.

Ex-toyman

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
SHOTGUN Questionbigdog9688408/22/2007 16:29 pm
Remington 7400mister_venison205/17/2004 20:38 pm
Remington Mdl 750 SynHONDABOSS008/27/2008 15:36 pm
Remington Short Actionsbitmasher306/26/2005 12:28 pm
Remington Accutip slug ballistics?ilsmokepoler1011/02/2012 10:47 am