22 replies [Last post]
Remington 700

Well! Let me play the part of devil's advocate here! I'll post a vote for most anything other than the Mod 700 Remington rifles, any of their configurations!

I realise that that statement ,on a web-site that is basiclly home to whitetail deer hunter's , is a sin! However, That is my opinion, and it is not because I don't own some Mod 700s, I do, but they are far from the best in their price range, IMO!
The triggers/safeties are known to go off when changed from safe to fire position, and that is not hearsay, but fact. The tin extractors should be replaced with something like the SAKO. If one wants a synthetic stock, then an after market is the choice, because the factory plastic is very flimsey tupper wear like. Even a Ram-line is far superior. In final, the push-feed action, on any rifle, is not well suited to use on anything that bites back. For deer hunting, they are fine, because if it fails to work properly, nothing is lost other than a missed chance at a shot, but if a grizzly is closeing on you fast, it is another story alltogether. The 700s are usually very accurate right out of the box, but accuracy is not the whole story with a good rifle. That is determined from the butt plate to the muzzle, and everything in between. IMO, the 700 is OK, but certainly not the best one can come by in the price range! Especially when one considers the mod needed to make the rifle right.

I just donned my flame proof gear, so let the flames begine! Big smile

redrider's picture
Remington 700

What would be your choice in this $ range?

Remington 700
redrider wrote:
What would be your choice in this $ range?

If you want to stay with Remington, it would be the new 798 which is a Zestava FN Mauser action. Personally I would go for the CZ rifle chambered for the american chamberings if your main deal is deer, elk, black bear, and moose! Another one to consider is one of the later Ruger No1, or Mod 77 which is a CRF action, and chambered for just about anything you could want in regard to caliber! Any rifle you get needs to be tweeked some, in most cases till you get into the top makers, and top prices as well.

I don't have any of my files here with me, as I'm posting from a lap top and away from home. There are many good rifles in the $500 to $1000 range that are well made, and have many of the desirable features, like CRF, good safeties, and triggers, and stocks that are well designed so the felt recoil is not so savere! CHEAP, and Accuracy are not the only things needed in a good hunting rifle! I would rather save a little longer, and get a rifle that will still be working when my grand kids have childeren to teach to shoot! Thumbs up

Don Fischer's picture
Remington 700

Dugaboy,

No flames from me. Where you been? I've missed your posting. Good to hear your out and around with your laptop. Any ideas about going back to Africa in the future? Recently read "Hunter". Man that gave me the want to's! Not on my income tho! You go, bring back some pictures.

Remington 700
DUGABOY1 wrote:
The triggers/safeties are known to go off when changed from safe to fire position, and that is not hearsay, but fact. The tin extractors should be replaced with something like the SAKO. If one wants a synthetic stock, then an after market is the choice, because the factory plastic is very flimsey tupper wear like. Even a Ram-line is far superior. In final, the push-feed action, on any rifle, is not well suited to use on anything that bites back. For deer hunting, they are fine, because if it fails to work properly, nothing is lost other than a missed chance at a shot, but if a grizzly is closeing on you fast, it is another story alltogether. The 700s are usually very accurate right out of the box, but accuracy is not the whole story with a good rifle. That is determined from the butt plate to the muzzle, and everything in between. IMO, the 700 is OK, but certainly not the best one can come by in the price range! Especially when one considers the mod needed to make the rifle right.

Big smile

Although what you state has its roots in truth it is not the whole story. Fact, Remington had safety issues with their trigger systems in pre-1982 bolt lock systems but this has since been rectified by replacing the trigger system with one that allows you to eject the cartridge while still in safety mode. All rifles since then are fine and come with a very good trigger system even though it is extremely heavy in the trigger pull(adjustable). As for the syn. stocks... not all Rem 700 syn. rifles come with those plastic stocks. Check out the stock on the senderos and VS rifles. They are HS Precision stocks and are anything but flimsy. Even the push feed action doesn't bother me in the face of dangerous game unless I am upside down cycling my rifle and if that is the case, it is probably too late to pop another in him anyway. Just my opinion. Thumbs up

Remington 700

Hey Don, I've been a little sick for some time now,fighting the BIG "C", and have been sticking close to home! Have done a little boar hunting with the DRSS (Double Rifle Shooter's Society) get togethers, you know kinda easy hunting! Still it puts a lot of good meat in the freezer! Thumbs up

Remington 700
ChesterGolf wrote:
[
Even the push feed action doesn't bother me in the face of dangerous game unless I am upside down cycling my rifle and if that is the case, it is probably too late to pop another in him anyway. Just my opinion. Thumbs up

Big smile

Mr. Golf , thankfully we live in a free society, where a law abiding citizen can choose what ever firearm, or as many firearms he wants to use, and what legal use he puts them to, is nobody's business but his/hers!

However, with your choice,the conditions you describe where, if avoided, the PF action is fine. That, however, may very well be where you are, on some occasions, when hunting Dangerous game. In that case, the CRF action will negate the danger of those conditions getting you, or someone else in your Safari hurt, or killed. Still as long as you are the one to pay for your choice, I have no problem with that choice at all. Some of the un-armed trackers, may have a stake in your choice, without consultation in the matter! I wish you, and those trackers good luck on your dangerous game hunts with a PF rifle! Big smile

tim
Remington 700

I have read this on a number of post.

What does CRF mean?

thanks
tim

Remington 700

CFR= Controled Round Feeding. The bolt holds the round as it is feed into the chamber.

Remington 700
Old Professor wrote:
CFR= Controled Round Feeding. The bolt holds the round as it is feed into the chamber.

Old Prof has given you a definition, of CRF that is easy to understand if you are farmiliar with the way a PF (puch feed ) works, it is the exact opposite!

A push feed action's bolt contacts the base of the top round in the magazine of the rifle, with the rim of the bolt face, pushing it forward as the bolt is close till the round snapps clear of the magazine guide rails. Once the round is loose from the magazine, it is free in the loading tray till the bolt is closed all the way. The bolt only gains control of the round, when the bolt is completely closed, and the bolt handle tourned down. At that point, and only then, the extractor snapps over the rim of the cartridge, and is now holding the cartridge on one side. The ejectors on the PF actions are usually, the plunger type. This plunger is spring loaded, and after the rifle is fored, and the bolt is withdrawn, the spring pressure on this plunger forces the empty against the right side of the chamber, and reciever ring, till it gets past the edge of the reciever, where the spring ejects the empty, maybe!

The Controll feed action works the same way, except, that the top cartridge in the magazine cannot come free of the magazine without the rim of the cartridge being forced between the extractor and the face of the bolt, and under the rim on the other side of the bolt face. From this point on, the bolt is holding the round, and no matter if you continue forward , it will chamber the round, but if for some reason you withdraw the bolt,, the round will be ejected by a fixed ejector, that doesn't depend on a spring to eject the round, but it is ejected by the motion of the bolt being drawn back to the bolt stop. Another round cannot be stripped off the top of the magazine till the empty, or loaded round in the bolt face is ejected. What this means is, you cannot end with two rounds, or an empty, and the next loaded round in the action at the same time. this is not the case with a PF action.

Many think the large exractor is what makes a CRF action, but this isn't the case, The key word here is CONTROL, not extractor ! Big smile You could install a Mauser type extractor on a PF bolt, and it would still be a PF action with alarge extractor, nothing more! Better, for sure, but still a PF action.

Rifles like the Mod 700 Remington, Sako, Weatherby, and the Sauer, and Steyer and many others are PF actions, and some work better than others, even if tuned to be as slick as is possible, they are still PF actions. IMO, the PF action should never be used to hunt dangerous game animals, because of the lack of control till the bolt is closed, and turned down. These actions are best suited to non dangerous game, like deer elk and moose, and some make very good target rifles. Rifles with CRF actions are more reliable to use in a very tense sittuation, where an unfortunet jam may cost you or someone in your party his/her life. Please note here, the nothing is 100% reliable, but the CRF comes as close as is possible in a bolt action.

There are two old syaings that apply to this, and they are #1 "Nothing is totally "FOOL PROOF" if you have a sufficiently talented fool! , And "if something can go wrong when you need it least, it will!"

Can one hunt dangerous game with a PF rifle? Certainly! Should one do so? NO, IMO! Also if you see a PF rifle chambered for a dangerous game cartridge, IMO, what you are looking at is a MISTAKE! sad

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
SHOTGUN Questionbigdog9688408/22/2007 16:29 pm
Remington 7400mister_venison205/17/2004 20:38 pm
Remington Mdl 750 SynHONDABOSS008/27/2008 15:36 pm
Remington Short Actionsbitmasher306/26/2005 12:28 pm
Remington Accutip slug ballistics?ilsmokepoler1011/02/2012 10:47 am