34 replies [Last post]
Would the advantage not be

Would the advantage not be distance and stoping power over the .308? because the .308 tops out about 2700fps while the .300 win mag is about 3300fps (yes you can fully load your case and get a little more velocity or lower the grain of the bullet and thus increasing velocity). As well for the recoil im not planning on shooting more than once while im hunting anyways right? so why would i need to use a muzzle brake (il just deal with the recoil when i need to) now when i go to the range to digi in my range cheat sheet il use the muzzle brake so i can shoot longer. So really the reason for it is better accuracy at longer distances and of course stoping power compared to the .308. Hell even the U.S.M.C is going to be switching there .308 to the .300 Win Mags.

As well there is a reason for it being one of the best selling calibers on the market still to this day. Actually its doing better now than it ever has.

But i know you .308 guys are die hard for your calibers and dont like to keep an open mind to others  Dancing

BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
35 Whelen

If ranges are short to medium distace why not look at the .35 Whelen?

That's a good caliber and fun to shoot.

Just bought my savage 11/111 Long range hunter specialty series

As for the .35 whelen i just might pick it over the .270 considering it will be my short distance rifle.

As for my New Savage that i just bought as you guys probably know by now its chambered in .300 Win Mag. What Rings should i buy for my scope ? im looking at the burris zee rings? is this a good choice?

hunter25's picture
Everything I've heard about

Everything I've heard about the Zee rings is good but I've never tried them. Nearly all of mine right now are Leupold of some variation or another.

I just talked myself out of a 9.3x62 rifle. Even more wallop than the 35 Whelen on the same sized case for a short to medium range rifle. Privi factory loads are a little slow but less than 25 a box with a 286gr bullet.

Check out the CZ550FS or the Ruger African series. I will be getting one at some point when funds allow.

Be sure to give us a range report on that Savage when you get it running.

BikerRN's picture
For the .300 Win Mag I like

For the .300 Win Mag I like the Leupold Dual Dovetail Base and Ring set-up.

Range report might be a while

I like the Leupold Dual Dovetails set-up, how much are they going to cost me?

I put a down payment on my rifle because it will take about 10-12 weeks (so my dealer said)  intell i will recieve my rifle, hopfully no longer than that. I guess Americans are more important than us lol, they will recieve any rifle/firearm period before any Canadian customer will. I will definitely get a range report as soon as possible, My old man go re-connected with an old friend and hes going to let us shoot my rifle off at his place i think ihe has like a 100-300 yard range ther so it should give me a good idea how this rifle groups. I think the Savage will do well, hell this is the rifle that made savage become more popular than they use to be.

I know you suggested the Elite Tactical Rifle scope 5-15x40 - Mil dot, Will this be good for short range as well as long range like say 100- 1000 yards? I see the variable power scopes and im not sure if this would be a more suitable choice because im going to be hunting short range a target shooting long range. so would you go with a fixed power or variable power?

Would this scope not be more suitable for my situation?

Elite Tactical Rifle scope 2.5-16x 42? Could this scope not zoom in to 5-16 x 42?

And the only real difference i see with this scope is the 5-15 is a Front parallax adjustment,

the 2.5-16 is Side focus parallax adjustment. So what is the difference between Front parallax adjustment v Side focus parallax adjustment do they serve they same purpose? 

Google SearchI'm Feeling Lucky

hunter25's picture
http://www.midwayusa.com/find

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=leupold+dual+dovetail+savage+111

looks like about 55 plus shipping. I used these for years on my Remington 7mag with no problems at all. 

I would for sure get a variable with the different shooting situations. Normally I like less than 5 if it's going to be close up but right now I'm using a 6x18. You just need to practice a lot throwing the rifle up and finding your target quickly. You get better with practice for sure. The higher power has a smaller field of view. If real close I prefer to be doen to 2 or 3x but not needed with the practice I mentioned.

On a side note I'm not sure how it works getting one from down here to up there but I know for a fact that some distributors have them in stock waiting for buyers. I could have one in about 4 days if buying myself. But I'm not sure if your dealer has to go direct to manufacturer or use distributors. 

So what would you recommend

Ok so the model im looking at Bushnell Elite Tactical 2.5-16x42 would be better for my situation than the 5-15x40? And this model im looking at if correct is a variable power scope because it can zoom from 2.5 all the way up to 16 right? compared to a fixed power scope would just be like 2.5x42

The only reason i would choose the 5x15 over the 2.5x16 is because of the Front focal plane

hunter25's picture
http://www.bushnell.com/produ

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/eliteTactical/Product/?CFID=38500426&CFTOKEN=f107d6c32c75fe5a-DB103D36-9D83-4DE0-ABD773C6F8F1D3E4&n=10

The 2 models should come up side by side in the link. You are right about the variable btw.

I don't see front focal plane mentioned anywhere though in either of the specs only front parallax afjustment on the 5x15. That only refers to adjusting on the front as apposed to the easier side adjust on the other model. The 2.5 is a 30mm tube also. It has double the field of view at 100 yards, double the exit pupil for better low light, double the adjustment range for long range shooting, better eye relief, and weighs less. Easy choice for me if those were the models I was looking at. Of course it costs more as well, but I think would be worth it.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Remington Model 700 VTR .223 Calibercpd1735403/16/2009 00:55 am
1894 Winchester Lever Action Conversion to 35 Remington35Remfan301/03/2012 21:01 pm
New Rifle - UpdateCVC2205/31/2008 06:49 am
Remington 721bnow0707110/15/2005 11:59 am
30-30 for wild pig?hoser1201/17/2007 09:54 am