34 replies [Last post]
Yea that Tikka T3 Camo

Yea that Tikka T3 Camo stainless is nice. Just to bad i dont have a Cabelas around me, they have both remington 700 XCR II and the Tikka T3 Camo stainless. Would like to be able to dry fire before buying and just get a good feeling for them. Darn ontario hard to find what i want.

One more question here. Just wondering about scopes i cant seem to find what i want for under 750.00. Im looking for a 1 click or 1/2 Moa elevation scope but all i found was leupold mark 4's that run for like 1500.00 (Mark 4 LR/T RiflescopesMark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M3 Front Focal) Any idead on one similar but at half the price Confused.

Thanks.

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
 In comparing the 2 I can

In comparing the 2 I can tell you this. The stock is cheaper feeling on the Tikka and does not have a metal trigger guard like the Remington. My Tikka is noticeably lighter as well and the Cabelas version would be even more so with the fluted barrel. The Tikka trigger is exceptional and can be user adjusted down to 2lbs. It can be done with the stock on but far easier if you take the trigger guard off. Online instructions were a big help. The biggest downside is extra magazines are very expensive and hard to find and the supplied scope rings feel pretty cheap. I replaced mine with Game Reaper one piece mounts and rings. Overall though I'm much more impressed with my Tikka for value. In a .300 it would kick pretty hard. Many don't like brakes but I'm sold on mine. The Vais brake isn't as loud to the user as the others are and makes a huge difference.

My older Remingtons have been great but I'm just not impressed with the company anymore. Between the trigger on mine and recently a problem with shell extraction just too many little problems. My old 700's never needed anything.

I see your frustration as it's best to look at them yourself. I'm not sure how your system works and what kind of shops you have to work with. Can you buy one here and have it shipped to your dealer up there? 

Scopes I'm not sure. I'm using a Leupold 3.5x10 VXIII. Never let me down yet. I recently recieved a VXII 6x18 CDS and am getting a custom dial made. SHould be interesting. $750 scope and 50 more for the dial.

I was born in Upper Michigan btw. Several fishing trips in Ontario when I was a kid but haven't been there for bout 30 years now.

Never thought about he magazine problem

So hard to decide. I guess you cant find a rifle that fits all criterias. But im still leaning towards the remington intell i can find someone in canada to sell me .300WM magazine for the Tikka, but i doubt i will be able to find one, I did love the fact that the Tikka comes in hardwood hd camo (my favourite) But you're right about the magazines i can't seem to find any in canada (online) I just can't get over the fact on remingtons remarkable staff  thought "hey lets put an adjustable screw right were your finger rests....) I hear allot of complaints about the position of that trigger adjustment screw being in the way of a clean trigger pull as well as hurting because it adjusts outwards protruding out of the trigger, inless you screw it all the way in for a ful 5 pound trigger pull confused? . Like you said it was a much easier decision like 20 years ago, but remington has started to fall backwards. Sometimes change is not the best decision i guess.

Now for the muzzle brake did you choose the Vais brake over the weatherby accubrake because of the noise reduction, as well did you also take a look at the KDF muzzle brake (regular not slim) and the Holland QD brake. Because this is just a controversial as our Tikka V remington discussion lol. Do you not find that the holes in the bottom of the brake kick up allot of dust as well? (compared to the Holland QD) the Holland QD  would deffinatly be louder than th Vias i beleive because if the direction of the brake.

I didnt know that you could get custom dials built thats pretty cool actually. Are you changing elevation to a full 1-click MOA or 1/2, or something else???

Were abouts did you and you pops go fishing?

hunter25's picture
http://www.ableammo.com/catal

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/tikka-rem270-win300-round-black-magazine-s5850373-p-90448.html

I did not try any other brakes but went with this one on the referral of others and the noise issue. I try to always put plugs in even when hunting but sometimes just can't. Bass Pro sells some I wear around my neck all teh time that work very quickly. Some brakes just hurt to much if you can't get them in. I have not noticed a dust issue and I go prone whenever I can but have not fired in extremely dusty conditions with it yet.

My clicks will still be standard 1/4 moa but the dial is matched to your exact bullet, velocity, normal elevation, and temperature. It's marked for the yardage so click counting is not required, just turn to the ranged distance. We'll see how well it works when it gets here but Leupold has always done me well and their customer service is second to none.

Too be honest I don't know where we went but the pike fishing was phenomenal. I was only about 9-12 years old at the time.

BikerRN's picture
Howdy

Gun Nut,

It's late, for me, and I'm tired from working too long of a shift but I'll try to give you my $0.02 based on my limited expirience and the advice of people I trust.

I have three rifles for hunting but if limited to one it would be the .300 Win Mag. I think you made a good choice there. I look at it like this, the .308 is a "30-06 Lite" and will do perhaps 90% of what the 30-06 will do. The 30-06 is the basic North American standard. The .300 Win Mag is the, "30-06 on serious steroids".

I'm a fan of selecting one load for each caliber. Sometimes you may need to change the load but it should be very infrequent in my opinion. I will say that for deer sized game I am not a fan of all copper hollowpoints out of a short barreled .308 Winchester at 300 Yards. I didn't have enough velocity for the bullet to expand and that cost me a deer last year. I've since relegated the .308 to <200 Yards, although accurate a further distances, as I don't consider it to have the power and velocity I want with that load. If I had been hunting elk, where penetration is desireable, the copper hollowpoint would've been a good choice.

After 400 yards the .300 Win Mag really begins to step out and away from the .308 Winchester. Heck, the bullet doesn't even stabilize until 200 Yards. While the .308 can be shot a lot further I think one has to look at how much power, or energy if you will, the bullet has when it reaches it's destination. From all I've read and heard the power level for elk is 1500 fpe and for deer it's 1,000 fpe. I'm certain my .308 load, coming out of the 16" barrel didn't meet that standard. A point of contention I discovered after the fact. My 5.56 is accurate and I can shoot it at 600 Yards but just because I can get the bullet there doesn't mean that it will do the job required.

One has to select the proper bullet, which can be a daunting task in it's own right. Nosler Partitions have a very good reputation. There may be newer technology but old ways still work so I see no reason to forsake them If I was to hunt Buffalo, Black Bear, Hogs, Elk, and Deer in North America and I could have only one rifle it would be the .300 Win Mag. Selecting the caliber is the easy part. Now you have to select a load that will work in all forseeable conditions unless you want to be changing your ammo all the time and sighting in. For the record I think you could do a lot worse than the Nosler Partition.

Biker

Thank for replying

Yea definitely going with the .300 Win Mag. Im still trying to find out hunting locations for my particular area. I still have yet to get my H1 testing done with, im shooting for this on next month forshure. It would be unfortunate if i go out and spend 1000.00 on my rifle and an exstra 750 for my scope and find i need to drive 6 hours to shoot the darn thing off. I was inbetween the Remington XCR and the Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter. I prefer the long range hunter myself because its cheaper for one also comes with a pretty decent muzzle break, adjustable cheek rest, to top it off the safety is right were you thump naturally rests and is quit. the darn Remington snaps like a slingshot, deer would be gone by the time i ready'd my riffle lol.

As for the Bullets it would be between nosler and Barnes i hear allot of controversy between these two, I guess i will have to load 20 of each and see what kind of groupings i can dish out.

Now totally off topic here, I have been chating with Hunter25 about what shotgun i should pick,

Its basically between the Browning BPS, and the Mossbergs 535/835, i read allot before i buy anything truthfully, and i cant seem to wrap my head around this. The Mossbergs have allot of complaints about shells just misteriously dropping out of iether the magazine or the feed ramp or both im not sure, But thats a huge concern to me and really for anyone. So most poeple would say well go with Browning, but i like the friggen combo that mossbergs have (turkey and deer) and not to mention they're a gorgeous shotgun. Hunter 25 says he owns and hunts with the 835 himself and seems to like it. I just sent him a message asking if he had any problems with his mossberg that i previously mentioned and waiting for his reply, but im sure if he had problems with his mossberg he would have mentioned something (like not to buy one lol). As well i dont mind how the Bps only loads from the indirect method but if its going to be a more reliable shotgun that so be it.

Thanks again.

Chris.

BikerRN's picture
Shotgun

Hi Chris,

I know you've been talking with Hunter25 as he told me. I think you made a smart choice with the Savage, although I do admit to being partial to Winchester and Ruger myself. As for Shotguns I'm familiar with only one platform and that's the old tried and true Remington 870. It's what I've used in the two agencies I have worked for, keep by the bed for home defense, and hunt with. The only other shotgun platforms I have a passing familiarity with are side by side and over/unders so I wouldn't want to venture an opinion as it wouldn't be based on my expirience and wouldn't be fair to you.

I'm sure Hunter25 can give you a lot more information in that department.

BikerRN's picture
Geez. I hope I didn't run

Geez.

I hope I didn't run anybody off. Makes me think I'm a thread killer being that my post was the last one. :(

Don Fischer's picture
nope

You didn't. I fail to see the advantage of a 300mag over the 308 if ranges are where the op is talking. The 300 mag will have more recoil and sounds like the plan was to start dealing with reciol right away. Means you have to hang more recoil reducing stuff to handle the extra recoil. The magnum will have a much longer barrel, 24". The 308 can be had with fairly short barrels, my 660 had a 20" barrel on it. And the range the op is talking about suggest's either heavy cover which ask's for a better handling rifle or, the op is limiting the shot's he takes. Considering the animals he's hunting, there is no advantage to the 300mag, in fact quite the opposite so far as handling qualities go.

BikerRN's picture
You're Right

If the range is short the .308 may be a better option.

I don't tend to think in terms of short range but then I'd opt for the .35 Whelen at short to moderate ranges myself.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Remington Model 700 VTR .223 Calibercpd1735403/16/2009 00:55 am
1894 Winchester Lever Action Conversion to 35 Remington35Remfan301/03/2012 21:01 pm
New Rifle - UpdateCVC2205/31/2008 06:49 am
Remington 721bnow0707110/15/2005 11:59 am
30-30 for wild pig?hoser1201/17/2007 09:54 am