34 replies [Last post]
Remington 700 XCR II Caliber decision

Ok so im in between these two calibers. .308 winchester, .300 Win Mag. Im going to be shooting no less than 100 yards. I cannot find any information on the .300 win mag being to powerfull 1) leaving to clean of a hole 2) having to much impact with a hollow point. I know that .308 would be a better choice but i dont care about ammo price (wil be reloading myself). So do i go with the .300 win mag but load less powder or do i go with the factory .308 ammo? i like the .300 win mag myself because of accuracy and power. So this is a hunting rifle but i do like to go to the range and check out my accuracy at far distances so i would like to load up on powder with the .300 win mag when it comes to being at the range and updating my data cheat sheet for scope calculations.

So what do you guys think i should do here, i dont care about price of ammo just need to know of im going to blow a hole the size of a basket ball using hollow points, or soft point will leave to clean of a hole. Also if i do go with .300 over the .308 what should i reload with (hollow points/soft points or somethnig else)? As well what grain should i reload with?

Hunting deer/moose/whitetails mainly (unless a bear try messing around)

Please help me out here

Thanks.

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Since your going to reload

Since your going to reload anyway the .300 would be the only choice for me. But I see no reason to down load.

Any good bullet  will work. Barnes TSX180's would work for both animals I would think and do not blow big holes but provide deep penetration and usually exceptional accuracy.

I don't believe in overkill anyway.

And of course you can slow it down if you really feel the need to.

Thanks for replying. So even

Thanks for replying. So even if i shoot at 100 yards i will still have meat to harvest? because really thats my main concern with the .300.

Do you hunt withing 100 yards with the .300 yourself? Or are you just going by ballistics sheet?

hunter25's picture
I hunt with  a 7mag but the

I hunt with  a 7mag but the principle is the same. If I use a softer bullet they will blow up more. Like a ballistic tip or similar. Good bonded core bullets hold together for penetration and only expand to a controlled area which also minimizes meat damage. Or like I mentioned the Barnes TSX has worked really well for me. Even Nosler Accubonds have made some pretty big holes at high velocity.

But if you hit a shoulder or something with heavy bone it doesn't matter what your shooting as you will loose more meat.

I have used the TSX from 10 yards to 500 with nearly identical results. Bullet pictured was recovered from a bull shot at 529 last year. The closer shots rarely stop in the animal.

If I was buying again I would get the .300 but since my wife got me the 7mag I'll stick with it for awhile. But I will get one in the future.

I think bullet design is the biggest factor. Some of the worst meat damage I've seen was from a 150gr out of a 30-30. 

PreviewAttachmentSize
001 (640x480).jpg
001 (640x480).jpg77.87 KB
saskie's picture
go with your gut

Aside from the more extreme hunting applications (very long range, heavy game, dangerous game etc) a well-placed shot from any mainstream calibre will take down almost any big game animal in N America. For new people, it is true that some calibres "in theory" are "better" suited for certain applications/situations. But in practice, it's the ability of the shooter to manage the shivers of a cold November morning and bad case of buck fever that ultimately matter. You've obviously done your homework, and you have field and range experience so this isn't anything you don't already know.

Will a .300 do more damage than a .308 at close range...probably...maybe. Then again it might have so much energy it blows clean through between two ribs with minimal expansion...or the .308 might hit the shoulder bone and blow it into a million little bone slivers...the debate is endless and inconclusive either way.   

So....I think you've answered your own question; either will be fine but you prefer the .300...so buy it.

Thanks Hunter25/Saskie

.300 Win Mag it is. Thanks for your input guys it helped me allot, appreciate the time

you guys spend to answer questions. What about Nosler Partition?

Again thanks.

hunter25's picture
I know from others experience

I know from others experience that the NP is an excellent bullet and the original controlled expansion type. I've just never actually used it myself.

All my experience has been with the TSX and Accubonds. The Tsx always shot better in my rifles so that's what I went with. I plan to try some tipped trophy bonded from Federal in the near future as well. At least for my 270wsm. Only ballistic tips shoot well in that rifle so far and they explode far too much for anything but antelope.

TTSX or TSX it is oops forget the MRX

Thats wierd that only ballistic tips shoot well in your 270wsm o_0. Would you say the TTSX exspands less than the TSX? In the video it looks so, Just curious.

After i posted this i just watched the full TSX v TTSX V MRX and intell i shoot reload and shoot them all i guess it's a grudge match. I have a feeling the MRX will work a little better because of the Silver core (giving more density) but is as effective as the TTSX. You should load some MRX and let me know what u think. 180 grain should act more like a 200 grain but without the extra grain.

whom ever marked this offensive is moronic. I hope you get banned. dont read posts if you're going to be a Jack@#$

hunter25's picture
I should have said of the

I should have said of the bullets I've tried so far. I've only had the rifle just over a year and only tried a few. The ballistic tips worked so I made it my antelope rifle with them. I will be trying others later.

I haven't used ttsx yet but supposedly they are just supposed to expand more reliably at longer ranges. Such as past 500 yards. I think the tip is supposed to help open them up after velocity starts to slow down. I would like to try the 150's in my 7mag.

Btw my rifle is also an XCR but from the first or second year and before the Xmark trigger came out. Probably one of the worst triggers I've ever had and was recently repalced with a Jewell. Stock was replaced with a laminated wood with aluminum bedding block and also a Vais brake added. Now I love it.

Stock change? X-Mark Pro® Trigger Trigger problems

Just curious on why you didn't like the Hogue stock? More weather resistant or just for looks?

Also Do you know anyone that has used the X-Mark Pro® Trigger? I watched a video on youtube were the trigger broke clean off were the adjustable pin is located.

A few other posted comments and said the same thing happened to them. Damn remington had to go and weaken the trigger by putting the trigger adjustment in the trigger T_T.

So im basically buying a $1200.00 barrel if i have to replace the stock and the trigger. Can you give me some suggestions on an ALL WEATHER-RIFLE that is not polished stainless. (stainless is amazing for rain as long as its not reflective e.g covered in TriNyte) I love hunting in the rain and thus being the reason why i need a good all-weaher rifle.

Choosing an Inclement Weather All-Around Rifle

By Chuck Hawks Article gives me a good idea. But i can't seem to find anything i like other than the Remington XCR but again all these darn problems that seem to follow with it (trigger and stock). So if you have any Rifle in mind that fits my criteria you would be my hero lol.

Thanks.

hunter25's picture
No problem with the factory

No problem with the factory stock at all. I just like the look of laminates and just changed it this year.

Isn't the standard SPS a matte finish stainless for a bunch less money? Same stock without the camo? My Tikka is pretty light colored but does not reflect at all and has a factory trigger nearly as good as the Jewell once you adjust it yourself. The regular stock feels fairly cheap but mine came with a limited laminated one. My 22-250 Tikka shoots very well also.

No experience at all with the Xmark trigger.

I have seen many used XCR rifles in really good shape for 7-900 in the online Cabelas gun library.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Remington Model 700 VTR .223 Calibercpd1735403/16/2009 00:55 am
1894 Winchester Lever Action Conversion to 35 Remington35Remfan301/03/2012 21:01 pm
New Rifle - UpdateCVC2205/31/2008 06:49 am
Remington 721bnow0707110/15/2005 11:59 am
30-30 for wild pig?hoser1201/17/2007 09:54 am