14 replies [Last post]
frontier's picture
Remington 700 Long Range Tactical .300 Win. Mag.

I am seriously looking at getting one of these Rifles as soon as I can save up the money. I was just wondering if anyone has one and if its accurate or not. I am planning to shoot 150 grain bullets and setting it up for 400-500 Yard shots at Sheep and Axis Deer. I would also like some opinions on scopes that you would recommend for this type of shooting. Thank you in advance for your input.

Frontier

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I don't have one but I would

I don't have one but I would suggest that you rething the bullet weight.  The .30 caliber magnum cartriges are designed for the heaver bullets from 180 gr on up and that is where you will get the best accuracy.  As far as a scope is conserned I would start looking at Leopold Mark 3's, Burris and any other top of the line scopes, stay away from the bargan ones.  I was once told that the scope should cost as much as the rifle that it is going onto. 

frontier's picture
Thanks for the reply. I was

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at 150 grain bullets because my Winchester Model 70 in .300 win mag. loves 150 grain bullets (Remington core lokts) but absolutely hates 180 grain Remington core lokts. I know every gun is different and you need to experiment with different weights and ammo to find the Sweetest one. I am also a firm believer in Leupold Scopes and own a couple of them. What do you think about Nightforce Scopes? are they worth the extra money?

Frontier

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I couldn't tell you anything

I couldn't tell you anything about the Nightforce since the last scope that I bought was 10 years ago and that was a Leupold VX III 3.5-10x40 and that went on a .340 Weatherby and I have loved it. 

frontier's picture
I have seen one but have not

I have seen one but have not purchased one yet because they cost about $1400.00 the optics look great but i'm not sure how it will do with the recoil. As for the Leupold I know it will take the recoil. I guess i answered my own question. Leupold it is!

Frontier

dresslikeadeer's picture
I agree with the Leupold

I agree with the Leupold scopes. I too would rethink using 150gr bullets for distance shots.. I use Hornday 168gr A-max in my .308 and it shoots well. I have even shot the Hornady 208gr A-max out of the .308 and noticed less wind drift with the heavy round but seems to have alot more drop.. So kind of a trade off thats why I went to the 168gr the 150 gr in my opinion will just be too light of a bullet. Just my two cents..

frontier's picture
Thanks for the input. All we

Thanks for the input. All we have at the local Sports Authority is 150 or 180 grain ammo and from past experiences with the 180 grain bullets in my other 300 Win Mag they dont group well. I was thinking of reloading but to buy the Rifle, Scope and Equipment to start reloading will cost way to much for me especially now. I may have to get a couple of boxes of each and go to the range and try them out when I get my Rifle. Which ever groups best will be what I will use. Thanks again.

Frontier

dresslikeadeer's picture
NP.. Most of the time you can

NP.. Most of the time you can have two identical models and each one will like different ammo... Plus it also depends on the barrel length and twist.. You will have to keep us posted on which rounds work the best..

bitmasher's picture
I agree with trying higher

I agree with trying higher bullet weights, the reasoning is simple, they have a higher b.c. and will tend to outperform (in terms of bullet drop) the lighter 150gr bullet in a 300wm.

HOGGETTER's picture
I shoot 180gr winchester

I shoot 180gr winchester supreme accubonds and 180gr E-tips in my 300WSM

The accubonds are hands down deadly accurate out to 450yds - 500yds.

From what i have read about the E-tips i should drop down to the 150gr but they are prone to wind drift out on the farther shots.

Check the balistics on the rem. core-loks, they are terrible once you get past 400yds.

GOOD LUCK

frontier's picture
Thanks for all of the advice,

Thanks for all of the advice, I almost have enough to get the Rifle but I will still have to get a scope so I think its safe to say it will be a while before I can try any bullets.

Frontier

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Remington 721bnow0707110/15/2005 11:59 am
Remington 700 bdl 7mm for saleHuntertrent010/27/2008 20:49 pm
hunting vs. tactical?mzimmers1812/13/2005 23:09 pm
maximum range for remington 7mm mag7mmmagfan906/05/2008 13:38 pm
Don, a question about sighting in.Southernsportsman808/30/2007 14:17 pm