13 replies [Last post]
FW AV80R's picture
Remington 700

Hello all, I'm now here and am looking ot get back into hunting after a long dry spell and I'm looking into getting a new hunting rifle that will be able to be used for just about any game in North America and think I’m going to go with the Remington Model 700.  There are a couple different variants that I am having trouble deciding between though the XRC II and the XHR. I also like the special Bone Collector edition, but it is just he XCR II with a camo pattern and bone collector logo, not sure that warrants the extra $100.

XRC II – Has a trinyte coated stainless barrel

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-xcr-ii.aspx

Bone Collector Ed. XRC II – Same as XRC II with camo pattern and bone collector logo

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-xcr-ii-camo-bone-collector.aspx

XHR - Has a non trinyte coated triangular fluted barrel.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-xhr.aspx

Those are the two main difference that I have found, can’t decide which to go with. I want the most dependable tough rifle I can get as I may be using it in some extreme conditions. This makes me lean toward the XRC II with that trinyte coated stainless. On the other hand the XRC is suppose to be more accurate at longer distances…….I can’t decide. Let me know what you think or if there are any others I should consider.

Thanks!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Welcome to the forums and if

Welcome to the forums and if you stick around you'll find all kinds of information floating around here.

In my opinion the simpler a rifle is the better it is and the XRC II seams to fit the bill on that.  I have never though that you needed a camo stock or a fancy trigger for a hunting rifle.  What you want is a rifle that you can depend on.  As far as accuracy any of the rifles mentioned should shoot a 1" group at 100 yards and within a 1 1/2" group at 200 yards so unless you are going to be doing some real serious shooting at crows and magpies any of the rifles should be fine.  You didn't mention what caliber you were looking at but if you are going for a one rifle fits all then I would start at the .300 magnums.  Smaller calibers will do but it's nice to have that extra horsepower. 

FW AV80R's picture
Thanks! And I've been looking

Thanks! And I've been looking at the 30.06.

Critter's picture
The .30-06 is one of the best

The .30-06 is one of the best all around rounds out there.  I have taken everything from a parrie dog up to a Alaskan brown bear with one. 

bitmasher's picture
fyi

FW AV80R wrote:
On the other hand the XRC is suppose to be more accurate at longer distances

Yeah I wouldn't buy that.  Accuracy is a statistical phenomenon, I wouldn't consider any of the above to necessarily be more or less accurate because each is so similar and your sampling is only one data point (one gun purchase).

I would go with the one you think looks best and fits your budget best.  The trinyte coating is really only going to be useful if your in the habit of leaving your guns wet.  If you wipe down your gun after getting it wet and make sure its dry before putting it away, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

FW AV80R's picture
Remington 700 vs. Browning X-bolt

Well I was pretty much sold on the Remington 700 XCR-II in 30.06, when I was stumbling around the inter-web and found the Browning X-bolt series.... What are your thoughts on these two rifles. I'm looking for a good all around rifle that will be good for hunting most anything in the states.

Let me know what you think! Confused

Critter's picture
Your problem is going to be

Your problem is going to be this.  99.99% of any of the rifles on the market today will serve you from the time that you buy it until you decide to put it away for good.  So you are going to have to decide yourself on witch one that you like with what features.  Both the Remington and Brownings are great rifles and you should be happy with either one. 

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I have always been a Rem

I have always been a Rem fan/buyer.  I would also look at the new Savage rifle, it's getting pretty good reviews.  Everyone I know ended up buying a Rem after having a Browning. Good luck on your decision.

There are 2 types of rifles.

There are 2 types of rifles. 1) Remington  2) Something else  So either you shoot a Remington or you don't.

ndemiter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
you sound like my cousin! i

you sound like my cousin! i think it's pretty funny, actually.

i'm as die-hard about my model 70's as he is about his 700's. and i'm not sure either of us can outshoot the other. they're both quality guns.

i've owned both, and have had several small issues with the 700, and then decided to purchase the winchester because the right oppertunity presented itself, and maybe i got that 1 out of 100 rifle that just shoots better than most, either by some random reason or the machinest and assemblers were just having productive days. but to date, i've had ZERO trouble with the winchester. i've come to really like the mauser action because of this as well.

I have a question for you though? if you're thinking about a 30-06, what if you decide to goo to Africa, then what ONE gune would you buy to hunt the WORLD??? I need to make a thread out of that question.

700 XCR II

Special Ordered a XCR II in .338RUM, would not chamber, had it checked and bolt face was off. Sent it back, finally I get it back with the extractor rusted fast. Looked like they just threw another bolt in the gun. Not high on my list of rifles to own anymore.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
SHOTGUN Questionbigdog9688408/22/2007 16:29 pm
Remington 7400mister_venison205/17/2004 20:38 pm
Remington Mdl 750 SynHONDABOSS008/27/2008 15:36 pm
Remington Short Actionsbitmasher306/26/2005 12:28 pm
Remington Accutip slug ballistics?ilsmokepoler1011/02/2012 10:47 am