17 replies [Last post]
remington 300

I am looking at getting a remington 300 rifle this year and i have found a few around, i think walmart carrys a combo for about $300, so i was wondering if anyone had purchased one from there, how it performs and what type of ammo do you normally use(grain size and all)?

Thanks

Don Fischer's picture
remington 300

Welcome to the site. Don't you mean the Rem 700? I think Wal-Mart carries them in ADL's. They come with a plastic stock. I have one, first plastic, actually comp, stock I ever had on a centerfire. Had a lot of trouble getting it to shoot well. Very poorly bedded. I wouldn't get another Rem but I've been tempted to try the Weatherby Vanguard, made by Howa. I hear a lot of good reports on the Stevens 200 and the Mossberg also.

remington 300

so is a remington 300 and 700 the same gun? lil confused on that

remington 300

Remington 700 is a Model of weapon... I think you are referring to the calibre of .300? As in .300 remington mag? Thats just the calibre not the rifle or model. Many gun makers make this chambering and several are sold at walmart Including the Remington 700 ADL that Don referred to. They also carry Savage 110's and 111's which I think is what you are looking at in the add.. Price is kind of constant with the new Remington 770 (remodled 710 junk). Take a closer look at the add and see what all it says about the weapon.

remington 300

i am going by there this evening, so would you recommend getting the 700 or 770 model or does it really matter? i want a good one to deer hunt with and possibly take it out west at some point for some bigger game!

WesternHunter's picture
remington 300

The Remington 700 is a great rifles for hunting. Has real proven track record. I think one thing that is preventing you from getting a good answer is that you asked about a Remington 300 and that causes some confusion with some of the folks here trying to help you.

There is no Remington 300 as far as rifle model goes. There are however various calibers and cartridges that are in the .300 cartridge family. Various rifles are chambered for specific cartridges within that family of .300, but the rifle make/model and the cartridge it's chambered for are usually different designations. There are Remington 700's and 770's chambered for many different cartidges.

Personally I think that the various magnums in the .300 family are way too big for deer sized game, but you can certainly hunt deer with them. The down side is that you're going to end up damaging too much meat and subjecting yourself to way more recoil than it's really worth.

remington 300
flyanbrian wrote:
i am going by there this evening, so would you recommend getting the 700 or 770 model or does it really matter? i want a good one to deer hunt with and possibly take it out west at some point for some bigger game!

I personally wouldnt recommend either anymore. Remington quality has went WAY downhill along with their customer support.

In my own honest opinion Your best bet would be one of the Savage models. Both are excellent with great reliability and shoot better out of the box than MOST factory rifles do. Customer satisfaction is a PRIORITY with Savage as well. You can talk to a real live person with them. Call Remington and all you get for half an hour is elevator music.

As far as what Western was saying about the .300rm kicking, thats up to the rifle and its weight along with any recoil management you would add, such as a Limbsaver recoil pad (does WONDERS). You DID say you would maybe take it out for larger game out west so the .300rm is a fine choice.

Don Fischer's picture
remington 300

I think I would be tempted to suggest that you look for something such as a 7-08 Win, 270 Win, 308 Win or 30-06, all cartridges. You'll find them all in one bolt action rifle or another. If you think you'd like a lever action, rifle makes get a lot shorter. I'm saying this because your obviously new. The 300 would be a magnum cartridge. The 700 is a Remington and the 770 is a discontinued bolt action Winchester model.

I would never suggest a magnum cartridge to a new or inexperienced shooter. For no other reason than recoil. There are things you can do to tame recoil but until you do them, shooting can be very uncomfortable. Experienced shooters learn to handle recoil. Even a 30-06 will have a good bit. By going with a 7-08, 270 or 308, you'll be into cartridges that are lower in recoil and therefore easier to learn to shoot. They also have a good selection of factory ammo avaliable most everywhere and each is suitable for anything you might hunt in the lower 48 with the right ammo and well placed shots.

remington 300

UhOh... Something I've NEVER done... Dissagree with Don... The Remington 770 is the new model out this year Don. It was made as a replacement for that Crapolla 710. Looks to be about as crappily made as the 710 was. But I havnt had one in my hands as of yet. Ganny got one in .243 for his daughter and isnt very happy with the bolt.

As far as him getting the .300 you are probably right. Since he does plan on out west and Larger Elk sized game I wouldnt go less than the 30/06 but thats just me.

Don Fischer's picture
remington 300

Haven't heard a thing about it. Might be a bit confusing what with the Win 770 coming first. Is it one of those comp stock deals?

Don Fischer's picture
remington 300

I had to go look at that and sure enough, there it is. Think I'd take the stevens or the savage. Seem's to me that everything that Remington has made aimed at the low price market has been,,,,,,,,,less than atractive. the 788 was a great gun, unfortunately it out shot their premium 700. The 600 series I absolutely loved but the stock was a fence post.. Now this 770? This should be intresting.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
SHOTGUN Questionbigdog9688408/22/2007 16:29 pm
Remington 7400mister_venison205/17/2004 20:38 pm
Remington Mdl 750 SynHONDABOSS008/27/2008 15:36 pm
Remington Short Actionsbitmasher306/26/2005 12:28 pm
Remington Accutip slug ballistics?ilsmokepoler1011/02/2012 10:47 am