6 replies [Last post]
remington 1187 or browning gold

hi everybody

my girlfriend is just getting into hunting and im looking to get her a semi auto for goose and duck hunting. she really likes the browning gold that one of my friends has that she shot mostly b/c it doesnt have much recoil. ive shot both the browning and a remington 1187 and cant really tell the difference in recoil but ive only shot target loads in both. is there that much of a difference when shooting heavier loads to spend the extra 300-400 bucks on the browning. shes only going to be shooting 3in shells but i was thinking bout getting a 3-1/2in so i could still shoot it if i wanted to take it out sometimes. thanks in advice for any help.

Don Fischer's picture

Welcome to BGH.

If it's really for her, let her choose. I'm with you on the difference in price. Has she tried an 1187?

Length of pull, weight, barrel length, recoil are almost identical between the 2. I really see no difference except the damn price. I personally feel that Browning has fallen quite a bit in the past 20 years in their quality and just not worth the price. Are they still pretty? Yep. Are they worth 200-400 bucks more because they are pretty? Well thats if you plan on them being a show-peice or a quality firearm that is being used. I dont see the need. A "woman" may just want the more expencive one because its a little prettier or more expencive. But if you are the one buying it and as long as they both are of equal shootability then sheesh man get the Rem for 350 bux less. If ya wanna spend the money on her, take that 350 and get a nice room with a jaquzzi and all the trimmings for a night. Trust me, it will get you further than the 350 more on the shotgun!! Thumbs up

I recently sold my 1187 and bought a benelli super black eagle and have never thought twice about it. Most of my friends have done the same.

thanks again for the advice
she hasnt shot the 1187 and the only person i can think of that has one has it setup for deer but im getting ready to get the new 1187 xtreme conditions and i told her she could try it out then she can decide on what she likes more or if she can even tell the difference. she not worried bout it being pretty or anything since she wants it in camo it surprised me when she said she didnt really care what it looked liked since its just going in the duck and goose blind.

has anyone tried the new 1187 or heard anything good or bad bout it the only things i hear that its just like the others but stands up better in the weather.

WesternHunter's picture

I love my 11-87. Though it is about 13 years old, not a newer one. It's been my primary waterfowl gun since about 1994. The only inconvenience I've had with it is that it was never intended nor designed to spit out light target loads. It will fire them just fine, but tends to re-chamber the empty hull instead of fully ejecting it. The 11-87's, especially the Special Purpose models (according to Remington) are intended to be stricktly a hunting field gun, not a target gun. So it's gas system was designed by Remington to cycle game loads or heavier. Hell, it thows out 3 inch magnum hulls about a good 6+ feet away. Mine is a 3 inch mag in 12 ga, what they called the Special Purpose. Matte finished walnut stock and forend, bead blasted and blued barrel and receiver. Very soft recoiling too. Can shoot magnums all day without any discomfort, so I suspect a female shooter would handle it fine. Mine has seen plenty of rugged use. It's been accidentally dropped in murky muddy water 2 or 3 times, frozen with frost several times, stepped on many times by the dogs, snowed on, rained on. Very very reliable gun with game loads or magnum loads. Never had any problems at all with jaming or hanging up, ever. As with any gas operated semi-auto shotgun, just keep it well maintained.

It's stock and forend were really starting to look bad with more scratches and scrapes than I liked, so this past July I decided to refinish the wood. removed the stock and forend then sanded off the old surface to bare wood with 100 grit sanding paper. Once down to bare wood I touched up the checkering a bit too. Refinished the two pieces of walnut wood with boiled linseed oil. Saturated the wood with it, then allowed the oil to soak in for about 30 minutes. Rubbed it in, then wiped off all the excess oil with a large flanel cloth and set the pieces to dry for 5 days. Then repeated the oil saturation / rubbing process again. A week later I rubbed 2 good coated of linseed oil with my fingers and a cotton patch. hand rubbed, then allowed to dry again. Followed up with another light coat a week later, then set aside to dry. The walnut wood stock and forend came out looking very classic. Didn't even need to use any wood stain at all. The linseed oil saturation darkened the bare walnut to a rich brown color with a slight redish brown hughe. It now has a nice matte oil rubbed finish with a nice slight sheen to it. Very utilitarian looking. Has the same wood finish and color that the old pre-1942 M1 Garand's and Springfield 1903's had.

so i went in to our local hunting store yesterday and to look at new guns for me and my girlfriend when i was talking with the guy there he was saying how the new 1187 3.5" dont shoot light loads that well and dont eject them to well. so that changed my mind on wanting one of them and he suggested the beretta xtrema 2 or the benilla sbe 2 and i was just wondering what you guys think. ive never shot either one but i do like the feel of the beretta but he didnt have a benilla there. also my girlfriend looked at the franchi i-12 and like the way it felt and i was wondering what you guys thought bout it and if it would be a good choice for her for goose duck dove and some target shooting. thanks

Related Forum Threads You Might Like