6 replies [Last post]
tyusclan's picture
Remington 1100 barrel recall?

On another forum that I go on someone mentioned a barrel recall on some Remington 1100's sometime back. He said that a friend of his had one split on him. This was the first I'd heard about it. I did a search on the internet and on Remington's site, and I can't find anything about it. Anyone heard of this?

Never heard of it but there is an independent website that lists all firearm recalls. I'll see if I can find it.... http://www.firearmsid.com

I looked but there is nothing there that indicates a barrel recall for any remington shotguns.

tyusclan's picture

Thanks. I knew that I had not heard anything about it. Something like that is usually all over the hunting magazines, and it was news to me.

Thanks again.

tyusclan's picture

Okay. I got a little more info. This wasn't a recall, but was a class-action lawsuit brought in the mid 90's because there were some Remington 1100, 11-87, and 870 barrels that split or burst. The lawsuit claimed that in the older models of these guns Remington did not use a strong enough steel, which allowed the barrels to fail under certain circumstances. The plaintiffs did not prove their case, nor did Remington prove theirs, but in order to avoid a lengthy and certainly costly trial, Remington settled the suit, and changed to a different steel in their barrels.

I read a couple of accounts on a link that someone else gave of barrels that had failed. One in particular the guy had an older gun with a modified choke, and was shooting steel. The barrel split in a couple of places, but he wasn't injured. This happened long after the deadline to file on the CA suit, but Remington replaced his barrel for $50.

Older shotguns and their barrels have to be properly pressure tested for the "new" shotshells anyway. Older barrels where made when steel shot was not even thought of nor did anybody ever think it would be but as a result, the older barrels don't handle the steel that well which was why most manufacturers recommended bismuth as a non-lead alternative because it was softer than stell much like lead. Any newer shotguns should be rated for steel and if you wonder if they are just contact the company and they will tell you based on the ser. number.

tyusclan's picture

Exactly. I think that was a big part of the problem with the barrels that failed. I don't think there was anything inherently wrong with them. They either were being used with ammunition they were not designed to handle, or they were older, well used barrels. A gun is a machine, and it will eventually wear out just like anything else. If you had a car with 300,000 miles on it and the engine went out, no one would expect you to get a new engine for nothing. For some reason, some people think a gun is supposed to last forever, regardless of how much ammo is poured through it.

I think Remington probably did the right thing in settling the suit. It probably cost them less money in the first place, and probably gendered good will for the long run.

WesternHunter's picture

The only defect I'm aware of with Remington shotgun barrels is that some have and still come from the factory with the chokes screw set in off-centered from the center point of the bore. I have one and it's barely noticeable, but never sent it in for a replacement because the thing patterns perfectly at 40 yrds with a modified choke.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Remington 1100 12ga barrel for sale.tyusclan012/02/2006 19:12 pm
Remington 12 ga 1100 Rifled Barrl & Scope comboltmdl9m011/12/2008 09:43 am
1100 or 11-87??bnow0707405/13/2006 14:03 pm
300 WSM barrel lengthOver50707/23/2010 18:19 pm
Beautiful Remington 1100 28 Gauge Shotgun for Salehuntinbucks009/26/2007 19:44 pm