15 replies [Last post]
Rem 700 triggers

I bought a Model 700 Remington Sendero .270 Win recently. The gun was manufactured in 1996, but was NIB. Sweet deal to find that gun!

Anyway, after building some handloads and spending a little range time, I was not impressed with the trigger. Way to heavy. On http://www.canadiangunnutz.com I found a link to sites that explained how to adjust the Model 700 trigger. I followed the directions and man, it improved that trigger immensely!! The directions are quite simple. If you follow them carefully, I doubt you need to replace the Remington trigger.

It now has approx. a 3# pull on it, breaks clean and crisp every time! Since that adjustment I have built several loads that group 5 shots under an inch. I forget the exact spec so I can't quote it right now, but it's around 3,025 fps MV ... with either 140gr Nosler Accubond or Ballistic Tips.

You could probably do a Google search and find some of these sites...

Rem 700 triggers

You do need to replace those triggers and Remington will do it for free.They posted warnings about the faulty triggers in many magazines,Adjusting the trigger pull will not prevent them from firing when the saftey is disengaged.

Rem 700 triggers
NONYA wrote:
You do need to replace those triggers and Remington will do it for free.They posted warnings about the faulty triggers in many magazines,Adjusting the trigger pull will not prevent them from firing when the saftey is disengaged.

I own 4 Model 700 Remingtons. I have never had any of them fire by taking it off safe. None of the guys I know, who own Model 700's have ever told me about that happening to them either. My guns are a 1976 .30-06, a 1989 .338 WM, the 1996 .270 Sendero I mentioned and a 2004 Model 700 "Classic" 8 x 57. If I were going to have trouble with any of them, it would be with that newest gun and I have not had any trouble at all with it.

So the trigger/safety issue does not concern me...

FYI, when I adjusted the trigger on that .270 it worked flawlessly. It's a helluva simple adjustment btw!

Rem 700 triggers

For what it's worth.
If I had a rifle that fired when the safety was released. I won't bother with sending it back to the manufacturer. I'd be looking to have a good trigger installed or putting it away. The Jewell's a good choice. Target quality.
Remington has gone down hill in their service in the past few years. Getting parts is getting ridiculous.
If you need something that's not through their custom shop. There's a chance you won't even get a return call. Even then it's questionable.
A couple of years back I was looking to put a new barrel on a 700. I was told they don't sell the Remington barrels anymore but, I could send them the rifle and they would install a custom barrel for more than I would pay for a new rifle.
Go figure!!!
I'd be fixin' that rifle!!!
I don't buy Remington's anymore.

Rem 700 triggers

Well on that 2004 "Classic" the front screw holes for the scope base are not centered in the receiver. It took a pretty good windage adjustment on the Leupold rear base to boresight the thing. BTW, my buddies rifle also had the same problem (3 of us guys where I work bought them; all for the 8 x 57 caliber). Well the third guy that bought one, his will not fire! Some kind of issue with the bolt. I toally agree; Remington quality has gone down hill!

That's why I sarcastically refer to it as a "Classic". If it were not for the great 8 x 57 caliber i think I'd have ditched it... the 8 x 57 caliber really is a "Classic"!

Anyway, back to the trigger/safety concern, I will certainly watch for problems with this 8 x 57, now that you guys have talked about it.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Timney triggers???Ca_Vermonster1411/14/2010 15:55 pm
New stock for a Ruger M77Yoter802/24/2006 11:39 am
Remington 721bnow0707110/15/2005 11:59 am
Custom Hunting Rifle Trigger and BarrelHighflyer511/17/2008 15:25 pm
Obama win triggers a run on firearm salescowgal611/08/2008 11:43 am