15 replies [Last post]
Rem 700 triggers

Just wondering if anyone has experience buying and installing triggers for Rem 700. Unfortunately mine is one that fires after the safety is flipped off. This is what Remington says happens "rarely". I love the gun other than that.

I had it fixed once by a gunsmith a few years ago after it scared the crap out of me, luckily I was hunting and getting ready to shoot a deer anyway. But I tell you what, when you flip the safety off and the gun goes BANG unexpectedly it gets your attention! Well it started to do it again, this time unloaded(thankfully)!

I have also read that you can replace the trigger and safety as a group to remedy this problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Rem 700 triggers
stillhunter wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has experience buying and installing triggers for Rem 700. Unfortunately mine is one that fires after the safety is flipped off. This is what Remington says happens "rarely". I love the gun other than that.

I had it fixed once by a gunsmith a few years ago after it scared the crap out of me, luckily I was hunting and getting ready to shoot a deer anyway. But I tell you what, when you flip the safety off and the gun goes BANG unexpectedly it gets your attention! Well it started to do it again, this time unloaded(thankfully)!

I have also read that you can replace the trigger and safety as a group to remedy this problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

I would send it directly to remington imediately. I've never heard of this in the 700. A few years back I remember Remington's automatic (the model number eludes me) had this problem. But, that sound very dangerous. It sounds to me like there is insufficient sear engagement. This needs to be corrected immediately.

You can buy after market triggers that are quite easy to install. Its a matter of removing a few pins and slipping the new assembly in place and replacing the pins. I suggest you use a gunsmith. there are several manufacturer from Rifle basix, Timney, and Jewell. Prices range from reasonable to expensive. Jewell is the best and most expensive.

Rem 700 triggers

If you check the remington site there is a recall on that trigger system because it can do exactly what happened to you. Give remington the responsibility to fix your rifle.

Rem 700 triggers

Sorry guys I should have mentioned that I have checked the website and they make you send it to them, who then sends it out again since they don't do many of their own repairs anymore, I have heard. Besides they don't do it for free. You have to pay 20 bucks plus shipping, then you get a coupon for 20 bucks worth of Reminton stuff. To me that is a joke! Also, they wouldn't replace the whole trigger most likely, just replace the sear. That's what broke the first time and was replaced, by a competent gunsmith. And to top it off the "recall" is for pre-82 guns only, mine is acouple years newer.

It's interesting you guys haven't heard about this. It was actually a pretty big deal a few years ago and Remington avoided a complete recall by saying they thought only 1-2 % of 700's would have this problem. That doesn't sould like much until you figure the 700 is one of the most popular guns in the world. They have done a very good job of keeping this quiet.

Anyway, I just want to get rid of the old trigger, and safety if possible since that is part of the problem. I have spent a fair amount of time researching but good, hard trigger info is short on the internet.. A lot of stuff out there just not much in depth. Just hoping you guys had some ideas about which is good value( I have figured Timney was a good buy) and where to get one.

Rem 700 triggers
stillhunter wrote:
Anyway, I just want to get rid of the old trigger, and safety if possible since that is part of the problem. I have spent a fair amount of time researching but good, hard trigger info is short on the internet.. A lot of stuff out there just not much in depth. Just hoping you guys had some ideas about which is good value( I have figured Timney was a good buy) and where to get one.

I don't pretend to know more than I actually do. Its no surprise to me that there was a recall that I didn't know about. To answer you question: Timney is a good trigger. I've used a few myself, and they work well. Rifle Basix also makes a good trigger. I would choose the Timney over the RB, but the RB is cheaper I think. But, if you want the cadillac buy a Jewell. If you are looking to purchase it online: Midwayusa.com is a good place to start. BrunoShooterSupply is another option. Bruno's is generally cheaper if you can find what you are looking for. Of course you can buy them from Brownells. If you don't have a brownell's catalog you need one, they have anything and everything.

As far as needing good Info , surf on over to benchrest.com. They have some very good forums, Gunsmiths and the like visit there quite often. Be warned though if you post a question in the wrong place some people get upset. Post your question in the general discussion or factory/hybrid rifle forums not in the centerfire Benchrest forum.

Switching out a trigger is quite simple on the 700. If you are even slightly competent with mechanics you should be able to do it yourself. If you ask for detailed instructions over at benchrest someone will provide them to you I would imagine. You might even be able to find a factory trigger to replace yours. The benchresters never leave anything factory and quite often have perfectly good triggers that they removed to replace with a 2 oz Jewell. The factory Rem. trigger if properly adjusted is a fine hunting trigger.

Rem 700 triggers

Thanks for the info Shatodavis. That is what I was looking for!

Rem 700 triggers

I sent my 1978 Remington 700 into the company and they "converted" my gun to the modern safety system. I then ahd the gunsmith put a 3lb trigger on it. Nevr had a problem with the gun before, just wanted to be safe. Yeah, that 20 coupon is pure bullshit. They need to fix their product, especially your gun, since you have experienced the safety malfuntion.

You might get Remingtons attention if you called them and told them you have a rifle that with a problem that cost Remington millions out of court!

Rem 700 triggers
FURocious wrote:

You might get Remingtons attention if you called them and told them you have a rifle that with a problem that cost Remington millions out of court!

Yeah thats a terrific idea,Einstein. Lets all sue every gun manufacturer to the point where they can't afford to build guns anymore. Oh Wait the anti gun lobby is already doing that for us.

Just send the gun to remington and pay for it and get there refund or whatever. This is how things can get out of hand in a hurry.

Rem 700 triggers
shatodavis wrote:
FURocious wrote:

Yeah thats a terrific idea,Einstein. Lets all sue every gun manufacturer to the point where they can't afford to build guns anymore. Oh Wait the anti gun lobby is already doing that for us.

Just send the gun to remington and pay for it and get there refund or whatever. This is how things can get out of hand in a hurry.

Ok, rocket scientist! Since your taking the statement out of context, I guesss I have to simplify the statement. I wasn't implying he sue the company, just to bring up the point to facillitate better customer service.

Your a real f*cking sweet heart. Flippantly accusing a gun owner and member of this forum of having anti-gun sentiments. I make a living with my gun, can you say that?

Rem 700 triggers

I sometimes wonder about these forums. It is so easy to get the wrong idea, especially if someone doesn't thoroughly check their post for errors or think about how it will be perceived. I always try and make sure I think about how my post will sound since others don't know me personally and could easily take one of my comments the wrong way. It seems things can get escalated to yelling matches pretty quickly sometimes just because of a misunderstanding.

In this case I'm guessing FUR meant that if I called Rem and said "Hey I got one of those guns that go off when you flip the safety" (which happened to cost them a lot of money in a lawsuit a while back) they might be a little more receptive to my pleas.

Anyway, I think we would all be better served to double check our posts and maybe not jump to conclusions when reading anothers post.

P.S. I'll get of my soapbox now and thanks for the replies!

Rem 700 triggers
stillhunter wrote:
I sometimes wonder about these forums. It is so easy to get the wrong idea, especially if someone doesn't thoroughly check their post for errors or think about how it will be perceived. I always try and make sure I think about how my post will sound since others don't know me personally and could easily take one of my comments the wrong way. It seems things can get escalated to yelling matches pretty quickly sometimes just because of a misunderstanding.

In this case I'm guessing FUR meant that if I called Rem and said "Hey I got one of those guns that go off when you flip the safety" (which happened to cost them a lot of money in a lawsuit a while back) they might be a little more receptive to my pleas.

Anyway, I think we would all be better served to double check our posts and maybe not jump to conclusions when reading anothers post.

P.S. I'll get of my soapbox now and thanks for the replies!

What you said! I just wish people would understand if someone is in here offering advice about the hunting shooting sports, especially while giving advice from relevant experiences, there would be a higher level, if just at least a some level, of courtesy and respect. Rather than jumping to conclusions and insulting someone from behind a keyboard.

There is an enourmous amount of sour ass people in the firearm insustry, I think we need not add to that in these forums.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
​Selling New Canon EOS 7D 18MP Digital SLR Camera and others.mphc409005/06/2014 17:17 pm
Rifle & Optic AdviceFlanker7010/13/2015 10:27 am
Rifle and optic adviceFlanker7010/13/2015 10:24 am
7MM Rem Maggustie18409/27/2009 08:57 am
300 RUM on Brownies?Reuben2012/14/2009 08:41 am