17 replies [Last post]
Don Fischer's picture
Rem 700 ADL 30-06

There's been more ink spilled on the 30-06 than any cartridge I can think of. How could anyone possibly have anything more to say about it? Now the 700 is an American Icon but, the newer one with the factory comp stocks leave something to be desired. I have two ADL,s, one wood and one comp. The wood stock one, 25-06, has always been a good shooter but I rebedded it any way. The comp stock 243 about got thrown in the lake! That thing would not shoot wel at all, not even close. I tried to take it apart to work on the bedding and the thing without any screw's in it would not come apart. Finally I rapped the barrel on the back of the couch and the barrel/acrion came out. The reciever mortice grabbed the reciever tightly, the barrel channel also grabbed the barrel. Then it had that up lift on the front of the barrel channel. After relieving all those things, I put it back together, glass bedded, and checked it out. Wouldn't come apart again! So I figured I must have glued it in. Night in the freezer and then back to the couch where a good rap once again seperated the stock fron the barrle/action. Wasn't glued in! The recoil lug had it caught, way to tight. Dug that out so the thing went in easily, should have caught it the first time! Then taped off both side's, the bottom and the front of the recoild lug and bedded it back into bedding. Shot great after that. Last wekk I felt the need to tinker with it and took some 3/8th inch copper tubing and made myself a couple pillars. Drilled out the stock and glued them in, shoots great. Lot of trouble to go thru for a factory gun of any kind. Oh, When I put in the pillars, I also removed that screw in the front of the trigger guard. Never have liked it there. I glued in the trigger guard and filler the screw hole with the epoxy, same color as the trigger guard and the stock.

Rem 700 ADL 30-06

Dang Don, you need to post a pic if this couch !! Laugh

Rem 700 ADL 30-06
JTapia wrote:
Dang Don, you need to post a pic if this couch !! Laugh

New! From Brownells! The Gunsmithing couch! Now finally sportsmen, you can watch football, hockey or your favourite hunting show while working on your guns for next season!! Only $995.00 plus tax shipping and handling!!!

Don Fischer's picture
Rem 700 ADL 30-06

Well see how you guy's are! I'm just gonna put on my panty's and go home! Whistling

Rem 700 ADL 30-06

That's not a bad price at all for that rifle, in other words you scored. The cartridge is irrelevant when you score.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Rem 700 ADL 30-06

Hey Jtap and Buns, If I wasn't starting to get so terribly interested in this 'old' 'boring' cartridge I just may have taken you fellers up on that. Shame on You!

Thank guys for all your input and glad to hear I scored on a good deal. I'm pretty happy to have a Remington as I've never owned one before. It's going to be a tough choice to make for rifle elk this year between the -06 and my 7mm Mag, ah hell we'll see after some reloading and bench time which one finally gets the call. I definitely am packing the new 06 on some coyote hunts in the meantime. Thumbs up

Looks like I'm late to this

Looks like I'm late to this party, but I'll reply nonetheless.  I have a Remington 700 ADL in .30-06 with a black synthetic stock.  I bought this at a Bass Proshop grand opening for about $289 -- iron sights.  I already had another .30-06 and other rifles, all with nice wood stocks.  I had been looking for a rifle that I could take out in foul weather and not worry about damaging a pretty wood stock.  With this ADL with the synthetic stock I don't worry about the damage caused by rain -- the stock is largely impervious -- and I don't worry about anything else.  It is just an inexpensive $300 rifle, after all.  This rifle has become my backup rifle on hunting trips.  It seems to me if you travel hundreds of miles, take significant vacation time, and pay hundreds of dollars for a non-resident hunting license, it makes sense to carry a back-up rifle in case your principle rifle and/or scope get out of wack for some reason.  This ADL in .30-06 will work for any of the hunting I plan to do.

I put a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x 40 mm scope on it.  It shoots quite well, probably around an inch at 100 yards, and the limitation may be my marksmanship rather than the rifle.

I think you got a good deal, though I might replace the scope.