17 replies [Last post]
SoCoKHntr's picture
Rem 700 ADL 30-06

Now I know the great venerable aught six will run the gamut from love and admiration to loathing and disdain from any number of shooters/hunters. And, the arguments have been going on longer then 'is the 270 a good elk gun' arguments, but here it goes again. My uncle recently picked up a Rem 700 ADL in -06 due to the previous owner falling on hard times.

This guy put half a box of bullets down the barrel before he had to sell it. My uncle helped him out but said he really didn't have the time or interest to get anything out of the gun and offered it to me for $300 with a Nichols (Simmons or Weaver nockoff) scope on it. I thought it was a good deal so picked it up. I found Power Shok Federal ammo at Wally world for 13 and change a box and took it to the range.

Well, with that cheap factory ammo I was grouping inch three shot groups. I took it antelope hunting this past week and though I didn't get to nail a goat, I did nail a coyote at two hundred yards with it. I really like this gun, it's light handy and I'm finding the recoil is nothing very manageable. As I don't save hides I may use it for yotes off and on with my other rifles as well. I'm also very interested in getting down to some reloading for it as well. It'll be a toss up this next year for rifle (I got points for my bull tag) elk and deer if I find a good load.

Well, I'm curious let's hear it from you gents the good, the bad, and the ugly,on the old and distinguished 30-06! Thumbs up

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Rem 700 ADL 30-06

One of the few rounds that I would never say anything bad about is the 30-06. I have shot everything from cottontail rabbits to a brown bear with it and wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again. You can find rounds for it all the way from 110 gr all the way up to 220 gr and if you reload you can go a little higher in bullet weight. An 06 was my first rifle and if I wasn't able to buy other rifles of other calibers I would of been happy with just it.

HOGGETTER's picture
Rem 700 ADL 30-06

I had a Rem7400 30-06 but i gave it to my son for his first big game rifle. I took many deer and wild hogs with that rifle. No complaints here.

exbiologist's picture
Rem 700 ADL 30-06

Never owned one, probably never will. Of course it's incredibly versatile, just boring. I like something a little different. Instead of owning a 7mm Rem Mag, I ended up with a .264, instead of a .270 or .30-06, I had a .280. Instead of a .338 Win Mag, I built a .358 Norma, instead of a .243 Win, I bought a .243 WSSM, instead of a .300 WSM, I bought a .270 WSM (although I could use that for not buying a .270 either). But hey, I also had a .30-30. Now, I've killed stuff with a .270 and .30-06, but I like things that are less common. Sorry!

But good pick up though! Thumbs up

WesternHunter's picture
Rem 700 ADL 30-06

Boring or not the .30-06 is one caliber that can do it all and has many times over. What more do you need? I also think highly of the 700 ADL. Though I personally have mostly used the .270 Win for most of my biggame hunting. For elk? My .270 had done everything I've ever asked of it with no let down.

Rem 700 ADL 30-06

Shoot em up.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Rem 700 ADL 30-06
exbiologist wrote:
Never owned one, probably never will. Of course it's incredibly versatile, just boring. I like something a little different. Instead of owning a 7mm Rem Mag, I ended up with a .264, instead of a .270 or .30-06, I had a .280. Instead of a .338 Win Mag, I built a .358 Norma, instead of a .243 Win, I bought a .243 WSSM, instead of a .300 WSM, I bought a .270 WSM (although I could use that for not buying a .270 either). But hey, I also had a .30-30. Now, I've killed stuff with a .270 and .30-06, but I like things that are less common. Sorry!

But good pick up though! Thumbs up

No, Ex, that's good stuff and what I wanted to hear from everyone, the good, bad, and ugly, or rather just everyones honest assessment. I honestly never had any interest in getting an -06 for much of the same reason you stated. Just seems kinda boring. And, that's what my uncle said many people's biggest criticism of the 30-06 is, that it is boring, plain, no frills. But, he added a positive in it's plainness is that it's a workhorse, a dependable reliable workhorse, and will get the job done time and time again.

As is the case with most calibers that fall into our hands one way or another, I didn't have any interest up to this point. But, now that I have one, I'm very interested in it and plan on getting some game under it's belt until the next caliber catches my fancy.

WesternHunter's picture
Rem 700 ADL 30-06

I still after all these years of shooting and reloading don't understand what makes a particular cartridge exciting. They all go bang!! and they can be as accurate as you are capable of making them.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Rem 700 ADL 30-06
WesternHunter wrote:
I still after all these years of shooting and reloading don't understand what makes a particular cartridge exciting. They all go bang!! and they can be as accurate as you are capable of making them.

Oh, I agree with you Western, but you know at some point most everyone, especially reloader's gets bitten by the speed/velocity bug or how flat a certain caliber is or how hard they can hit at 400 yards. Some calibers for those reasons are sexier then others.

But, when you get down to brass tacks and work to get within a 300 yard shooting range and practice good marksmanship skills anything from 308 to 338 Mag will get the job done on game up to Elk. Just fun stuff to talk/debate about in the end. Thumbs up

Rem 700 ADL 30-06

i am trying to tame down my hunting experience so a nice "boring" rifle would prolly do the trick.

Sooo I was thinking, you have a rifle that you well, ..kinda ended up with and all, sooooo.....well, I'd be willing to do a fellow hunter a favor and take off your hands. You looking to sell that ADL? Evil!

Rem 700 ADL 30-06

The 30-06 is dated and Remington makes a terrible rifle. I will be happy (cause I'm a giver) to take it off your hands for what you paid for the nasy thing and not a penny less. Just cause I'm that kinda guy. lol