12 replies [Last post]
hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Pronghorn VS .444 Marlin

Just got back from WY... and no we didn't go 10 for 10! We leave that to the real pros ha. We had 7 tags and came back with 5 prongers. My dad and uncle were the two to come back empty handed but my dad was too busy helping others fill tags and my uncle was too busy fishing!

Anyways, I pulled out my dad's .444 Marlin, took the scope off and made up some handloads a couple weeks ago. After five stalks (one of which I crawled within 70 yards of the herd before getting busted) I finally let the big sausage slinger roar and put a 265 grain slug into a two year old (incisor eruption) doe's spine. That was the loudest smack I've ever heard a bullet make upon entering an animal! That bullet is litterally twice as heavy as anything else I've ever shot a pronghorn with.

If I ever decide to use the ol' beast again on pronghorn... I'll be pulling off the iron sights and putting on a peep sight.

PreviewAttachmentSize
IPprongDoe2011small.jpg
IPprongDoe2011small.jpg593.32 KB
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Man Hawkeye, you are off to a

Man Hawkeye, you are off to a wonderful 2011 hutning season!  Congrats on a fine antelope!!!

Using those guns is pretty cool, and yours is a pretty nice one.  I am actually toying with the idea of using my Dad's .348 Winchester that he got from his Dad last year.  It's a great lever gun, kinda on the large side, with peep sites on it.  Maybe just take it out once or twice, but still keep the scoped marlin on standby.

Sorry to see your Dad and Uncle struck out, but like you sdaid, we can't all go 10 for 10, right.... Wink (Just kidding Mark).  I am sure they still had a blast!

swisheroutdoors's picture
I love it

I love that 444 Marlin.  Might as well be lobbing hand grenades out there... Hahahaha.  Cool hearing about your success with such a weapon.  My buddy is out in South Dakota hunter Prongers right now.  Can't wait to hear from him.  Another good friend got back from Wyoming about 2 weeks ago and had a successful hunt with his family.  Weather was crazy bad most of the week he said but they managed to take three.  Congrats on a great hunt.  Next year I'll be out there.

COMeatHunter's picture
Great job

Way to go bagging some antelope with the .444 Marlin.  That's pretty cool.  How far of a shot did you take with the open sights?  Just kind of adds to the fun when using cool guns and calibers like that.  Great job!

hawkeye270's picture
The shot was lasered at 154

The shot was lasered at 154 yards. I took one other shot on the trip and it was lasered at 219... a little long for standard open sights. I shot just over her back. I wouldn't take that shot again. I plan on throwing a peep on it.

exbiologist's picture
I love it

I love that you added a little fun to the hunt with the .444.  Kinda want to muzzleloader one with my Hawken one of these days.

hawkeye270's picture
I was debating between using

I was debating between using the muzzleloader and the .444 and it came down to the fact that I've taken a few deer with a muzzleloader but nothing with the .444. I chose right... it was fun!

I'm going to take it along on my 3rd season elk hunt and depending on what terrain/veg type I'll be in, I'll either carry my .270 or The Morter. The .338 got to chase elk last year so the trusty ol' .270 gets the nod this year.

hunter25's picture
Great job with the lever

Great job with the lever gun!! I have never use one that big but have taken a couple of deer with an old 30wcf. My dad has also started using a 100 year old 32 special adn took his antelope buck in Wyoming with it as well. He ouldn't change anything on the rifle due to it's age but fortunately it already had a tang peep sight on it. That makes a huge difference in you shooting for sure.

Here's a link to some good modern ones. 

http://www.skinnersights.com/

SGM
SGM's picture
Hawkeye, you have had a great

Hawkeye, you have had a great year and again congratulations on yet another score. Nice looking uncommon doe. Is your taxidery cost going up on this one too? Also congratulations to all the other hunters in your group. Sounds like your dad was very happy helping all the other folks out which is very cool. Good memories and more great eating.

elkkill06's picture
Very cool !

hawkeye,

You are just wackin and stackin this year ! Thumbs up Congrats ! I can't wait to see what happens with your 21 tag .........

Quinton

hawkeye270's picture
Thanks guys... I'm leaving

Thanks guys... I'm leaving early tomorrow morning to get a little last minute scouting in for my deer hunt. Believe it or not... I feel more pressure on me to produce during this hunt than I put on myself for my mtn goat hunt. I want to bring back a PIG buck!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
.45-70 vs .450 marlinsh6gt75506/29/2004 14:57 pm
.338 Marlin Expressjfrench111/14/2008 16:06 pm
Family PhotoTndeerhunter504/18/2012 13:45 pm
Marlin Lever Action rifles, XLR series, the .450 Marline4c4ever612/09/2006 22:01 pm
Marlin 95 450 alaskan?chargerdive111/17/2006 11:46 am