21 replies [Last post]
cowgal's picture
Progress Report on the (Current) 110th Congress

The problems are far more complex than just oil related. Look at the housing market, are you going to blame that on Bush too? Its been stated repeatedly that speculators & wall street had a lot more to do with runaway gas prices than the oil companies. Its true that oil companies have made some hefty profits. Is it out of line with the amount of product they produced and sold? I don't really know. I'd have to dig into the numbers to determine if the profits were obscene or not.

The original post was about the ineffectiveness of our current Democrat congress. If Democrats are so concerned, why aren't they working instead of twiddling their thumbs?

SoCoKHntr wrote:
cowgal, who put us in this crisis in the first place? Doesn't it raise any issue with you that of all the people hurting during this 'crisis' that the oil industry is raking in profits hand over fist and that Bush and Cheney are oilmen?

Using that logic obama is a liabily due to his associations with money launder's and weather underground, and thus should be considered a terrorist and felon right. Come on, if you are going to discredit bush and cheney via their prior employment and associations you have to do the same with obama. And You like to put all the blame on the republicans in congress but if you notice the approval ratings didnt start falling until the dems came into control and nothing started happening. Believe it or not people dont like indecisiveness in government and thats all congress has become.

expatriate's picture

SoCo, you're still DODGING. Same old tired stuff, going on about me, trying to pigeonhole my views, trying to sidestep in to discussion about how badly Republicans have screwed things up in your opinion...

But you still haven't addressed the fact that the Democrats have had the power and haven't been using it. Their lack of action for the past two years has nothing to do with what the Republicans did beforehand.

I don't know how it works where you are, but I sure can't sit on my butt all day and not do my job, and then blame my inaction on the guy who had my position before me. Were I to do that, my boss would say, "Well, if the guy that had the position before you did such a bad job, why have you been sitting here wasting your time instead of fixing it? I didn't hire you to tell me what a bad job he did -- I hired you to do what you said you'd do in the interview."

I thought we were talking about wether or not the 101st congress had passed legislation or not.

Most laws that any congress passes are BS anyway, naming of post offices and what not. Four out of six objectives seems not bad to me, with one veto due to GW attitude towards stem cells. I like the minimum wage laws, wish it were higher, people who work should be paid a livable wage.

Cowgall if the piece wasn't humor, what was it? Surely not a story about what the congress accomplished or else the writer would have said something about what was accomplished, not the silly stuff. The writer is a hack, not a journo.

Civetcat, you still don't get it do you? The fact still remains that in two decades of record keeping, no sitting Congress has passed fewer public laws at this point in the session -- 294 so far -- than this one. To say that the journalist is a hack for reporting a fact, is really grabbing at straws and once again showing your complete lack of credibility.

Like it or not, the "do nothing congress" deserves the label.

Now, you'll probably search all of your liberal websites and find some ridiculous report from someone we've never heard of and post it in your defense. Really, I don't want to read some useless 2,000 word ridiculous diatribe trying to prove your point.

Now, I've got work to do while you spend your day on the internet.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Whelland wrote:
Civetcat, you still don't get it do you? The fact still remains that in two decades of record keeping, no sitting Congress has passed fewer public laws at this point in the session -- 294 so far -- than this one. To say that the journalist is a hack for reporting a fact, is really grabbing at straws and once again showing your complete lack of credibility.

Like it or not, the "do nothing congress" deserves the label.

Now, you'll probably search all of your liberal websites and find some ridiculous report from someone we've never heard of and post it in your defense. Really, I don't want to read some useless 2,000 word ridiculous diatribe trying to prove your point.

Now, I've got work to do while you spend your day on the internet.

Ok, we won't post anything up since if it comes from us it will be from a 'liberal website' and to you will be wrong. What I will ask you to do is provide a list of what laws the Republican controlled congress passed the last two years they were in power for a fair comparison. Sure they might have passed 300 laws, hell 400, but lets see how many of those are water mellon or potato or some thing as ridiculous. Betcha many of them are just as ridiculous.

But no, you will conveniently turn a blind eye to their BS while throwing a spotlight on this congress. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Don't work to hard! sad

expatriate's picture

Once again, SoCo -- is it even remotely possible for you to come up with something other than Republican bashing when faced with valid criticism of the Democrats? You're still going on about Republicans instead of discussing the Democrats.

That is exactly what I think is the problem with the Democratic party. The party of Kennedy and Humphrey has devolved to the point where its platform consists of Republican bashing and posturing. It has lost its compass and is no longer leading -- it can't define itself without its opposition.

Stoking anger and resentment may get you into power, but it doesn't govern. When the country was reeling from high gas prices, they could've taken the high ground, stayed in session, and tried to forge an agreement. But instead, they turned out the lights and went home like spoiled kids rather than try to work with the opposition to do something. They'd rather do nothing than actually follow the democratic process and try to build consensus.

SoCoKHntr's picture
expatriate wrote:
Once again, SoCo -- is it even remotely possible for you to come up with something other than Republican bashing when faced with valid criticism of the Democrats? You're still going on about Republicans instead of discussing the Democrats.

That is exactly what I think is the problem with the Democratic party. The party of Kennedy and Humphrey has devolved to the point where its platform consists of Republican bashing and posturing. It has lost its compass and is no longer leading -- it can't define itself without its opposition.

Stoking anger and resentment may get you into power, but it doesn't govern. When the country was reeling from high gas prices, they could've taken the high ground, stayed in session, and tried to forge an agreement. But instead, they turned out the lights and went home like spoiled kids rather than try to work with the opposition to do something. They'd rather do nothing than actually follow the democratic process and try to build consensus.

Quit being so obtuse, civetcat posted damn good info addressing this and I would only duplicate it. The bottom line is they won but only hold a slight majority and don't have the necessary votes to get their agenda passed, what don't you understand about that??? It looks like it will be drastically different this next time around with the seats your looking to lose.

Now quit dodging my question and tell me how with a repub president, a repub controlled congress, and a majority in the Supreme Court, from 00 to 06 why is our economy in the shape it's in? SIX YEARS of TOTAL CONTROL you can't get a better hand then that and what'd we get? The mess were in now! High gas prices, a housing market in the toilet, a huge deficit, out of control spending! But, oh no with your warped logic this is the fault of a two year old congress who still lacks enough of a majority to push their agenda and a president who has veto power over them.

Mr Whelland,

Please. a little civility. If you wish to discuss what the 101st congress passed for legislation I'd be glad to.

When the American people decided to give control of both houses of congress to the Democrats, congres set six goals for itself. They fullfilled four of them. One was vetoed. An honest discussion of the achievments of the 101st congress would have discussed what exactly was achieved. Speaking for myslef I could do without some of those bridges to nowhere bills.

The article is a prime example of why the WSJ is being left in the dust by USA today.

civetcat wrote:
The article is a prime example of why the WSJ is being left in the dust by USA today.

I have a hard time believing that usa today is leaving anyone in the dust. That is the paper of choice of hotels and airlines because it gives a brief synopsis of events. It is not know for its in depth reporting. And yes it shows that 5 of 6 goals were passed, the problem remains that there is a lot of dissention and thats why bills are not being passed. The majority party is so dead set on trying to save everybody we are only going to be taxed to death because we dont have jobs because fuel is too expensive. And dont try to put it all on the oil companies because they are buying the oil at the elevated prices. What needs to happen is some reaching across the aisles and getting rid of some social welfare programs. Also, I am strongly against any party controlling both houses, there are 2 to ensure checks and balances, and right now nothing is happening.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Democrats in congressWhelland2108/15/2008 08:23 am
THIS IS HOW to FIX CONGRESSonzaman701/19/2010 09:11 am
The ProposalWhelland502/21/2009 15:51 pm
Another run at the AWBbitmasher2903/20/2007 08:20 am
TERM LIMITShunter g909/21/2009 23:31 pm