22 replies [Last post]
bitmasher's picture
Reading the instructions

Reading the instructions provided in the book it appears that it would be possible to headspace correctly w/o the gauges.  BUT and this is a big "but", I spent some time today reviewing newer BLR's (why I don't know, this thread just intrigues me) and for the life of me I can't figure out what the above linked book is talking about with an "unmeasurable gap" on page 55 picture #4.  Perhaps the instructions are for an older steel BLR which may have a different bolt assembly than a current alloy BLR.  Perhaps this nebulous gap would become more apparent if the gun were disassembled.

So, while it might be possible to do it w/o gauges, gauges would still be advisable.

I agree with you 100%.

I agree with you 100%. Thanks for the thread bitmasher. I, like you, am intrigued by the reassembly of the BLR. I think these are older instructions. When I got to the removal of the hammer things just didn't go according to plans. I read on another forum where the hammer assembly is independent of the lever assembly on the newer BLR's. Not sure is this is true, however, the image that you talked about(page55image#4) does not resemble my rifle. Once again, the BLR I have is a 358 Lightweight Pistol Grip.

Not sure what to do at this point. I have assembled many things from computers to M249 machine guns. This thing flat kicked my butt. No thanks to Browning for not helping people by distributing reassembly instructions for this weapon.

Luckily the Bass Pro in Denver is an authorized Browning service center. I'm going to call the gunsmith there and see if he  will allow me to watch him put it back together. If so, I will probably keep the rifle. I really do not like owning weapons I can't put back together.

Thanks for all the help bitmasher and best of luck. Thanks to all that tried to help. See ya!Wave

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
BrowningWVbuckmaster205/03/2011 16:39 pm
Browning BAR 270 ....Remington 7400 270?whitetailhunter1978208/03/2006 07:33 am
Browning Gold 10 gaugegreatamericanhuntingstore1111/05/2007 16:50 pm
Browning A-boltsteeplejack711/24/2012 14:01 pm
Browning BAR questionshurricane1706/28/2007 08:51 am