22 replies [Last post]
problems with my browning BLR .308

i have a browning BLR.308 and i have a problem racking in a new shell after i shoot but not when I just rack the clip threw. I use remington corelocks for ammo 150 grain and the guy that used to own it never had any problems with it and shot the same ammo. I regularly clean and oil the action and i had a gun smith look at it he told me that i was not racking my action all the way out but it has not helped at all. i have look all over the internet and asked a lot of people and and no one has had any problems with there guns and any help is appreciated thanks.

If you're handloading for it,

If you're handloading for it, try trim the cases and full length resizing.  If using factory ammo, I have no idea.

So, just to clarify your

So, just to clarify your problem, after you shoot and reloading the next cartridge, you have a jam but you can eject and reload unshot cartridges with no problem right?  What part is not working and therefore your problem:  the fired casing is getting caught and not ejecting or is the new cartridge not going in the chamber the problem?  Once we get a few more of the finer details, we might be able to work through this little problem.

sorry i was a little unclear

sorry i was a little unclear after i shoot then try to rack in another shell my action sticks and will not allow me to remove the old shell for a few seconds.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
If your action is sticking

If your action is sticking when removing a fired shell then it sounds like you have a head space problem.  There are a couple of things that you can do.  One is to find another gunsmith that understands head space issues.  The other is to contact Browing directly and see what they suggest.  I bet that they will tell you to send them the rifle along with a fired shell to let them check it out and repair it.  The Browning route is the best one to take since they do take a lot of pride in their work and should take care of it for you. 

Like critter said, I would

Like critter said, I would also be suspicious of head space issues.  The cartridge is stuck after firing but after a few seconds it cools down and shrinks down to its per shot size and then allows you to eject it.  Are you using factory ammo or reloads?  Have you tried another box of ammo?  Is there a chance the chamber is fouled and jamming the cartridge?  If you are using reloads, the pressure of the reloads may be too high for your firearm.  You could also have a bad batch of factory ammo but that isn't as common.  Put a spend cartridge next to an unfired cartridge and see if there is any difference in looks/ length, etc. and check to see if there are any marks in the spent casing.

I have a Browning BLR .308 with the same problem

Jimbo, I have a Browning BLR .308 it is a pre 81 model, 1979 to be exact.

I bought a box of Hornady 150 gr SST, and I am haveing the same trouble.

I had a couple of old boxes of spent shells that I saved back from the late 80's they are Remington 150 gr Core-Lok, the old empty Brass cycles just fine, the problem is with the New Hornady Brass.

I am researching the problem myself.   Jimbo is your gun and 81 or pre 81.  I have taken some measurements of the old Brass, and talking to some differnt folks to see what the problem might be.

Mark, Fort Worth, TX.    AKA    Bullet100t

Hi guys. New to the forum.

Hi guys. New to the forum. Been trying to find some BLR owners. I inherited my 358win from my father. I took it apart not knowing that it is not suggested by Browing. Anyway, I think it's back together but I have a problem. The cartridge OAL is  affecting it's operation. Are you guys having this problem.

The rifle will only cycle my dummy round with an OAL of 2.720" and not my actual ammo reloads from Connelly Precision which have an OAL of 2.740".The ammo is Conely Precision 200gr Barnes TSX. The Lyman book shows a 200gr round nose bullet with an OAL of 2.550". Max OAL for the rifle is 2.780". Like I said, Odd. The lever really throws smooth and has no hitches in the bolt as it slides with the dummy round. I only had 30 caliber dies so I made the dummy on the fly. I didn't think .02" in the OAL would make a difference.

I don't have the dies for this rifle. I was wondering is someone could test some dummy rounds with different OAL's with pointed bullets. Maybe duplicate the problem. I have read some other forums where this has been the culprit. If not, my only guess is that I may still be off one gear and need to reassemble again. Ughhh!

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
BLR

If a BLR is disassembled it is quite difficult to reassemble and attain the proper "timing" of the action. Browning plainly states in all their literature that such disassembly is not recommended for the owner to do. That is in stark contrast, of course, to the instructions Marlin openly shares in disassembly of their lever guns. These two lever guns are distinctly (completely!) different in design and function, of course. If it were me, I'd prolly just suck it up and bring my rifle to a qualified gunsmith to fix the apparent problem.

I've owned BLRs for 25 yrs and have yet to find a reason to disassemble any of mine. The new Bore Snake type cleaning systems work great on all rifles that require disassembly to clean from the breech end (I will simply not use a rod and clean from the muzzle end any longer) and I'd suggest buying one and using it for any barrel cleaning required.

Good luck in solving your timing difficulties!   Thumbs up

Hindsight is great thing

Hindsight is great thing Tndeerhunter. Once again, I inherited this rifle without the instructions. I didn't disassemble for cleaning. I Cerakote or Duracoat all my rifles. This is the main reason I broke it down in the first place. As for a gunsmith,  there are some who have replied to my other threads that say they are a nightmare for them to work on. I definitely don't trust the gunsmiths here in Cheyenne. They have a hard time putting butt pads on rifles. I'll send it to Browning if all else fails, but, it still erks me that they don't  offer any help in the form of literature. Especially for a $700+  rifle.

Just a side note. I own 2 Marlins and they are a simple rifle and simple to put back together. They have both been Duracoated. Once I get this BLR back together, it will be traded for something I can disassemble and put back together easily.

Still need an answer for my questions on seating depths for pointed bullets.

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
sorry

Well, I'm sorry to see that you seem so "unaffected" by your own actions. So, your "solve" is to simply "get it back together" and sell it??

The rifle is NOT worth $700, even if it was NIB. I hope you get it fixed properly before you sell it (can I say this more plainly!!).

Best of luck to you! (seems your attitude is the same for someone who actually ends up with this rifle!)

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
BrowningWVbuckmaster205/03/2011 16:39 pm
Browning BAR 270 ....Remington 7400 270?whitetailhunter1978208/03/2006 07:33 am
Browning Gold 10 gaugegreatamericanhuntingstore1111/05/2007 16:50 pm
Browning BAR questionshurricane1706/28/2007 08:51 am
Browning A-boltsteeplejack711/24/2012 14:01 pm