1 reply [Last post]
PLATEAU, FISH LAKE, THOUSAND LAKES COW HUNT 589??

HOWDY ALL;

WELL, THIS IS MY FIRST OPPORTUNITY TO HUNT COWS IN THIS AREA SO I AM JUST SEARCHING FOR GOOD GENERAL ADVICE!

DUE TO THE ELEVATION SHOULD I EXPECT HEAVY, HEAVY SNOW FOR NOVEMBER 16-21, 2009?

SHOULD I TRY TO FIND A WARM DRY PLACE TO SLEEP IN ONE OF THE SMALL TOWN MOTELS JUST OUTSIDE THE AREA?

SOULD I TRY TO FIND A SMALL TIME GUIDE WITH MULES TO HELP ME OR JUST TRY ON MY OWN WITH MY 4 WHEELER OR DODGE RAM 3500 4X4?

ANY GUIDES AVAILABLE FOR THIS TIME PERIOD?

ARE THERE ANY RESTRICTED HUNTING AREAS IN THIS UNIT THAT DO NOT JUMP OUT TO ME LIKE THE "CAPITOL REEF NATIONAL PARK" AREA??

I CAN WALK SOME BUT CAN NOT CLIMB HILLS MUCH (GOOD WIND & HEART, BAD BACK, KNEES & FEET) SO I NEED TO GET AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE WITH MECHANICAL HELP (ATV OR TRUCK)!

ANY INFORMATION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED AND USED APPROPRIATLY!

VERY RESPECTFULLY,

JOHN F. COLE
CDR U.S. NAVY RETIRED, DISABLED Big smile

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
PLATEAU, FISH LAKE, THOUSAND LAKES COW HUNT 589??

I spent 6 days on the PLATEAU area and didn't see an elk there were a few tracks but no bodies. I did see some up on the Boulder Tops road but not too many. Talking to the guy that runs the Otter Creek marina all the elk came off of that area around the first of October so who knows? If you want to try that area I would take one of the roads on top of Dry Canyon that goes down into Antomony and run the edge of the hill towards Parker Mountain. On the Fish Lake side they may of came down with the snow. The deer came off the hill just after the snow storm during the deer hunt and the elk usually are right with them. I would try the foot hills just to the North West of Loa. There are a lot of dirt roads in the area and I have seen them before and if you have a wheeler all the better. You can access them on a road about 3 miles east of the Fish Lake turn off or one that is about a mile or so to the West of Loa. Thousand lake mountain you'll have to wait for somebody else that may know but if you don't get a response I would hunt low and go up from there.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
crappie fishing in kansasMass Killer Jay105/04/2004 17:11 pm
Colorado huntcransy203/10/2009 08:20 am
Inter4esting letter/ RED lAKE Nation, MNbrketo007/30/2006 08:37 am
fishing the White Mountains in Az.crowsfoot009/11/2010 09:45 am
Utah 25a Fishlake PlateauHOGGETTER203/12/2014 08:03 am