2 replies [Last post]
derek1's picture
Planning 2009 Archery Elk Hunt

Exbiologist, I spoke with you about area 76 and 40 late last year. Since then I have ordered several different maps of each area and researched both areas. I currently have 8 points and my partners have 6 points. We had originally planned to hunt 40. My only concern is the navigation around unmarked boundaries and conflicts with private landowners. I assume the 12 square mile grand mesa national forest will not be a problem I assume it will be marked, but I understand the BLM property will not. Also, with small public areas to hunt how much hunting pressure should we expect in 40. I also went to google earth and looked at the Grand Mesa National Forest area. It appeared to have numerous trails through it. Are ATVs allowed in the Forest?
I would appreciate your input.

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

Unit 40's NF does have some atv trails. many of them are closed though. The biggest portion of the hunting population will be in the NF because of the common believe that elk are mainly high country animals, plus you will be dealing with deer hunters in the same areas. The BLM on the east end is marked very well, Rick Schroder use to own it, but now it was split into about 20 pieces. The west end is not marked at all and there is alot more country to move around in. The south side is harder to get into because there is only a few spots to get onto the public, buts lots of very good hunting (very few people). The north side there isn't as much public and alot of it is a lot lower country, but it would amaze you the elk that live there. Good luck and good hunting!

exbiologist's picture

Elkkill,
I was going to defer to you on those questions, thanks.
Derek,
He was much more on the ground experience out there than I do. Trust him

Related Forum Threads You Might Like