29 replies [Last post]
Offline
Location: Moses Lake, WA
Joined: 07/01/2008
Posts: 26
Pheasants and dogs

German Shorthair Pointer. I have hunted birds in most the western states and have hunted with most of the major breeds. GSP is my choice hands down. It is true that you can get an exceptional dog from most if not any of the breeds but on average I believe the GSP is the way to go for any upland birds. Points, retrieves, great nose, smart, and loyal.

PreviewAttachmentSize
2007.jpg
2007.jpg71.14 KB
Offline
Joined: 08/04/2008
Posts: 20
Pheasants and dogs

If you do not plan on hunting a dog very much maybe you better stay with a lab or a brittany. Brits are easy to train, they are small and will work all day. If your planning to hunt in the hills for quail or chucker you better off leaving the lab at home. They can not take the heat very well in high country. German shorthairs are good dogs too. You better have a large yard and plan on spending a lot of time with that breed of dog. They are very high strung. I have own a Pointer and several other breeds of dogs. The brits are easy to train, eats less food and less mess to clean up after wards. They will hunt all day and wil stay close it you spend a little time with them. My brit who is 7 months old stays with in 30 yards of me. Where I hunt the birds do not hold like those bob whites on those plantation hunts. Engough said, They are all good dogs, Use the dog for what it is ment for.
Pappy

frontier's picture
Offline
Location: Hawaii
Joined: 07/16/2008
Posts: 56
Pheasants and dogs

I have owned both Britanys and English Pointers. The britany was already full grown when I got him and he had a tendency to range and flush. He very seldom would point for me and would never retrieve. After he got to old to hunt, I got myself an English Pointer pup, I took him on his first hunt when he was about 6 or 7 months old. I could see that he had a great nose but it took him quite a while to get used to the gun shots. When he was about 1 year old he ran into another dog and hurt his shoulder very bad. I took him to the vet and was told that he may be able to fix his shoulder but that the nerves were damaged and he may never use the leg again. He said that there was about a 60% chance that he would recover completely but a 40% chance that he would loose all of the feeling in his leg and not walk on it anymore. It was a very easy decision for me because I was very attached to this young dog already. I paid the nearly $800 for the surgery and after a couple of days I brought him home. At this time $800 dollars was almost my complete savings, being that I was just out of high school, going to college and working part time.

After working with him and getting him to walk with a leash, I let him walk on his own and waited for the day that he would run again. This day came and I couldn't wait to take him out hunting. A friend and I went to our public hunting area that has a few chuckars and some pheasants if you are lucky. We let him hunt and just followed him. It seems that he also got attached to me and would not range beyond 50 yards. if he saw me stop he would stop and wait for me to pet him and he would continue hunting. That day my friend and I shot 4 pheasants and 2 chuckars off of him and they were all steady points that he held until we got to him and with the pet he waited for he would flush them. My friend wanted to buy him from me after seing how he hunted. He said in all his years he had never seen an English Pointer that hunted like him! I told him that this dog and I have a special bond and I would never sell him. After many years of great hunts, he died of old age. I hav'nt gotten a dog since. Maybe someday I will get another dog when my sons get older, but I know there will never be another dog like him!

Frontier

Don Fischer's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Antelope, Ore
Joined: 03/24/2005
Posts: 3183
Pheasants and dogs

Welcome to BGH Frontier.

I would like to think that every pup I ever sold got a home like yours!

HeavyC's picture
Offline
Location: Greeley, CO
Joined: 07/19/2008
Posts: 635
Pheasants and dogs

I wanna keep this thread going into yet another year, so I will introduce you all to my new hunting buddy Kiwi! She is 4months, and has one "almost" goose retrieve and now several pheasant retrieves and several more 'tackles'!!! Yes

The proud buddy I was for sure!

Lets see if these darn pics come out...these are her first retrieve which was still a pretty live bird Thumbs up she tackled er, and drug her home after it stopped kickin and screamin.

PreviewAttachmentSize
P3220941.JPG
P3220941.JPG809.52 KB
P3220924.JPG
P3220924.JPG1.09 MB
P3220923.JPG
P3220923.JPG771.59 KB
HeavyC's picture
Offline
Location: Greeley, CO
Joined: 07/19/2008
Posts: 635
Post Script...Kiwidimok

p.s... since they won't let me brag on her with more than three pics at a time! neener! neener! neener! neener! neener! neener!

PreviewAttachmentSize
P3220940.JPG
P3220940.JPG1016 KB
P3220946.JPG
P3220946.JPG1001.72 KB
P3220945.JPG
P3220945.JPG1018.86 KB
Don Fischer's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Antelope, Ore
Joined: 03/24/2005
Posts: 3183
Pheasants and dogs

Not possible to let that go unanswered! Yes

Hannah at 13yrs, her last hunt.

Hannah at about 1yr, her first hunt.

Hannah at about 8yrs, Vail, Ore.

Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up

HeavyC's picture
Offline
Location: Greeley, CO
Joined: 07/19/2008
Posts: 635
Pheasants and dogs

NIce Don! She is beautiful!

Yes cool

HC Out!

Don Fischer's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Antelope, Ore
Joined: 03/24/2005
Posts: 3183
Pheasants and dogs

My ashes will be burried next to her! God do I miss her!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Pheasantscob812/21/2002 22:52 pm
Bird hunting preservesTndeerhunter212/18/2010 15:09 pm
went duck hunting and got these!huntin fool512/12/2009 08:12 am
Flighty ND PheasantsPheasantHunter212/14/2010 11:32 am
Pheasant Restoration Initiative in Michiganjaybe503/21/2011 19:49 pm