7 replies [Last post]
Pennsylvania Spring Turkey Hunting 2007 Pre-season Scouting

You’re invited to share my 2007 spring turkey hunting preparations and eventually the hunt too. I ask that you keep me posted on your hunt as well. We can exchange information on calls, guns, ammunition, decoys, blinds, techniques and the all important tricks for “hard to hunt” birds.

Comment, share your expertise and suggestions or ask questions!

Let's talk turkey!

I just bought a Primos sonic dome double w/ bat cut mouth call and I hate it. I've always used quaker boy and will be throwing this one in the garbage. It has a "dome" in the middle which is made of hard plastic. Its very uncomfortable. Wouldn't recommend it.

webs820 wrote:
I just bought a Primos sonic dome double w/ bat cut mouth call and I hate it. I've always used quaker boy and will be throwing this one in the garbage. It has a "dome" in the middle which is made of hard plastic. Its very uncomfortable. Wouldn't recommend it.

Somwtimes the newer call designs just don't work well, but I do like the Primos diamond cutter.

Like you I like the basic design calls which are comfortable to use.

I just bought The Freak slate call by Primos. Love the sound and pitch of it.

redrider's picture

I really like the sound of glass and using a a good box call to get them stirred up Thumbs up

Guys - I have just purchased a Knight and Hale Push and Pull call. Do you guys have any experience using these? Good? Bad? Any other calls that ou guys would recommend? Also, any techniques for using the call? Any special positions?
I am planning to hunt in CT and have been doing a lot of pre-season scouting. Any recommendations for loads?

Use a turkey load and shoot him in the head at less than 35 yards and you'll kill your turkey. I like the push pull calls they are easy to use. If I could only have one turkey call. I think I would have a box call. They are east to use and you can call soft or loud. I would pick up an audio tape from your sport shop top learn to call like a turkey. Not only will it teach you the rythem(sp?) to use, you will also learn what the calls mean and when to use them.
Good luck in the spring I hope you new callers get a chance to talk with a real turkey in the woods. Its a blast when your calling and an animal is calling back to you. Don't over do it. Make him come looking for you. If you keep calling to him and he keeps calling back but is not getting any closer......he is waiting for you to come to him. Atr times like this you want to stop calling and make him come see what happened to the hen. If you get him fired up and he is gobbling like crazy and moving toward you.....keep calling exactly the same way that got him fired up and he should keep coming. stop calling if you can see the bird. If you can see him he knows that he should be able to see you. If he hears you and can't see you.....he will split FAST!

hunter777 wrote:
Use a turkey load and shoot him in the head at less than 35 yards and you'll kill your turkey. I like the push pull calls they are easy to use. If I could only have one turkey call. I think I would have a box call. They are east to use and you can call soft or loud. I would pick up an audio tape from your sport shop top learn to call like a turkey. Not only will it teach you the rythem(sp?) to use, you will also learn what the calls mean and when to use them.
Good luck in the spring I hope you new callers get a chance to talk with a real turkey in the woods. Its a blast when your calling and an animal is calling back to you. Don't over do it. Make him come looking for you. If you keep calling to him and he keeps calling back but is not getting any closer......he is waiting for you to come to him. Atr times like this you want to stop calling and make him come see what happened to the hen. If you get him fired up and he is gobbling like crazy and moving toward you.....keep calling exactly the same way that got him fired up and he should keep coming. stop calling if you can see the bird. If you can see him he knows that he should be able to see you. If he hears you and can't see you.....he will split FAST!

Thanks for the info my friend! I am heading to the woods tomm early morning, to see where the birds are and try to locate them. I am so excited. Will let you guys know how it turns out to be

Related Forum Threads You Might Like