4 replies [Last post]
cantgetdrawn's picture
Partial Injunction on SB196

Here is the email I got from UBNM.

Judge Rules on Injunction  - Today Judge Christina Armijo ruled on an injunction filed by non-resident outfitters.  Basically here is the gist of things:

She granted a “partial” injunction but only to the portion of the set aside for outfitters excluding non-residents.  However only “certain” NR outfitters can be included, apparently the Privileges and Immunities Clause does not apply to corporations, only individuals.  Therefore if an outfitter is registered as a corporation, it cannot participate in the set aside.

Everything is still on track for the draw, nothing changes from that perspective so get those apps in!!

Thanks for your support everyone!

Called Game and Fish today

Called Game and Fish today and they told me only the outfitter named in the lawsuit got back into the 10% draw. I told them they should just throw out the new law if one judge already ruled it to be unconstitional but they told me no the would rather let the slow wheels of justice turn for a few years. This is what happens when you let politicians get involved in anything! Huh?

cantgetdrawn's picture
It was my understanding that
It was my understanding that the 10% outfitter quota was due to the New Mexico Council of Outfitters and Guides (NMCOG) lobby.    I would prefer to see a staight 84/16 split between residents and NR, with or without a guide.  Those guides that provided a good service will still get there fair share of clients.  
Let see what happens when the Judge looks at it agian. 
Things need to change thats

Things need to change thats for sure I think like you said they could make it alot more simple with an 84% 16% split or something. As far as the outfitter lobby that council seems to be a group of "good ol boys" who will make life miserable on any outfitter trying to get into the business and they seem to have a pretty tight grip on the nmdgf. Like anything in NM its all about the favors and kickbacks.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Interesting. I was thinking

Interesting. I was thinking of putting in for and elk hunt over there one of these years, maybe the VC reserve, but the new non-resident regulations had me hesitant.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like