44 replies [Last post]
The overlooked points of the 300 and 325 wsm's

So the short mags don't have a belt. WHOOPITY-DOO!!!!

So they come in shorter, lighter guns with shorter barrels and actions. WHOOPITY-DOO!!!

I think they're just a fad and once the craze over featherweight rifles burns itself out, people will realize these rounds, for all the hype, add up to very little.

As far as recoil goes, according to recoil charts, there really isn't a significant difference in the 'kick.''

the light weight rifles are here to stay. we dont hunt off a horse like 80 years ago man..... its 2007! eye roll eye roll eye roll eye roll

Highflyer wrote:
Hmm... I have a Browning 300 WSM that shoots 1/2" groups all day long and every other Browning I've been around has been comparable (at least sub MOA) with the right loads - can't say I'd want them to stop now. I have seen case splits come out of various rifles (none out of Brownings though) but these seemed to be due to over-used brass or 'rogue' reloading techniques.

And on the subject of the 300 WSM itself I can't say enough either. I think the original point of this thread was to explain that the WSM can shoot at magnum velocities without the longer barrel and long action. Why go with more length and weight than you need to? I personally hunt anywhere from the Florida brush to the open plains and alpine country of Montana, and the 300 WSM fits the bill in every situation without any compromise in accuracy, portability, handling, or power - that's the real beauty of the deal.

hum it was all factory ammo.

Hey Wonksy, I don't know about you, but to me, 8 or 9 lbs isn't much weight at all. As far as bolt length goes, if you couldn't cycle the bolt on a standard-length magnum rifle, I doubt the gun would fit you to begin with.

It's amazing how emotional such a silly subject can be. Why does it matter if someone has a preference in of of those "new fangled" short magnums? I thought the idea of this forum was to discuss things without getting too wrapped around the axle about who is buying what with their own money.

And W. Scott, sorry if I offended you with my opinion, but it sounded like a 300 WSM handloading project to me??? If you throw it out there people are going to take a shot at it - that's just how it is.

Don't fear change...

Highflyer wrote:
It's amazing how emotional such a silly subject can be. Why does it matter if someone has a preference in of of those "new fangled" short magnums? I thought the idea of this forum was to discuss things without getting too wrapped around the axle about who is buying what with their own money.

And W. Scott, sorry if I offended you with my opinion, but it sounded like a 300 WSM handloading project to me??? If you throw it out there people are going to take a shot at it - that's just how it is.

Don't fear change...

oh i dont fear change if i did i would be shooting an ought 6 and forget it. you didnt offend me just saying it was all factory ammo.

eye roll

fuzzybear

oh i know man. let them believe what they like Laugh Laugh

Quote:
don't believe I have ever seen a claimed 3300 fps in the 300wsm. Unless they are talking about a 30" pressure barrel. In a hunting barrel 3100 would be practical.

Sorry to chime in late, I was refering to 150gr. rounds. Here's a link to winchesters ballistics:
http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SXP300SA&cart=MzAwIFdTTQ==
I think remington's are similar....don't know what length barrel those are from.

Check out Remington's new line up: looks like the 300 WSM has dug itself in.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Cashing In Colorado Elk/Deer PointsGolden G504/07/2010 08:46 am
Colorado 12 preference points??? Unit 21?hunt4duck1003/27/2009 22:40 pm
Pointsoutdoorsman1211811/08/2010 14:55 pm
Colorado Point Creepexbiologist3006/24/2012 14:12 pm
Preferance Pointsarrow202/26/2010 12:10 pm