10 replies [Last post]
Ontario 2007 A fishing Haven

All I can say to all people that dont fish or have never tryed it is to give it a try.Ontario offers some of the best freshwater fishing in the country and I believe everybody should enjoy it some time or another, Not to mention the scenery and animals to see and enjoy.

Awesome Day of nothing but fishing

Well this day in particular we left early aroud 5 am got there around 7 after a 2 hour drive straight through the bush in the middle of the boreal comming out in a little train town called odin lake. We decided to take the easy route this day which required us hauling the boat and all the gear down a 40 foot hill on about a 75 degree angle. So we had everything down the hill and we decided to start the day off by trolling around the bay. I started off slow the ride in wasnt exactally enjoyable because the grader did a number on the road a couple days before and kicked up all the big rocks there was on the road which made it very bumpy and not that comfortable but we thought what the hell we are going to leave with our limit. We trolled slowly around the bay and wham I got one a nice 5 pound pickeral what a start to the day I was happier than a pig in slop we trolled somemore and we heard another boat commin it was the owner of the lodge on that lake he approched us slowly not know who we were at first then noticed me and laughed as he said how you been its been a long time since I seen you up here what he meant was he never seen me all winter and he usually sees me 5 or 6 times during the winter for ice fishing season I replied "sorry was a hard work year the boss is one of those guys that wont let you off for the weekend" he replied back "Laughing" catch any yet I eagerly grabbed my first fish of the day and he said nice one is it for me I laughed and he went on to ask "did you see a cow around here I said "No" he said "so you guys didnt see the fawn lying in the water over there" I said No he said "come look" So we followed as he took us around the bank to a little calf lying there half in the water half out we all were amazed it was lying there not moving nothing but its eyes I immediatly dropped everything and hopped out of the boat onto shore and went straight to it tryed to lift him up and help him walk he just flopped right back over after a carefull look it looked like he was not over 4 months old just tiny almost looking like a little dog well a big dog but little you know what I mean. Anyway I could tell it looked like something was wrong with his back legs and he just couldnt hold himself up so we gently soaked him in water so he wouldnt dye of heat and tryed to give him a nice drink of water but he wasnt looking like he was going to make it but we left him there in hope his mother would come back for him but she didnt. We decided to not go far from him so we trolled around the bay in front of him for about 5 hours every hour comming in and pouring water on him and giving him drinks or trying to anyway but he wouldnt take anything but the reason we stayed close was to keep the wolves from getting him anyway after about 6 hours we decided to load him into the boat and take him to the lodge and call the MNR and let them know they said leave him alone so we brought him back I wish I new what happened to him anyway back to the fishing We ended up catching our limits in pickeral it was an amazing day and one fishing trip I wont soon forgett.Anyone else have any storys like this to share?

Don Fischer's picture

We don't have pickeral around here but when I was a kid back east we did. Everybody said they were to boney to eas, you's are filet'd. I gusee they do eat ok huh?

No bones atall bro you have to know how to filet them I was taught a long time ago and to this day its very unlikely to get bones in my filets and all I have to say if youve never eaten a pickeral is give it a try best freshwater fish you will ever eat by far. I went fishing last night caught my limit in pickeral was a beautiful day the sun was killer on the lake I ended up fishing till 12 am last night at about 11 in the pitch black I had a smashing bite and missed I thought I had passed up the fish up a lifetime but I put my jig back in and what do ya know he hit again and I got this whopper 5.8 pound bass check this out.

Don Fischer's picture

None of them even remotely close to here or I would try them. Your saying these are better than catfish? Boy I love those cats. Also ate a walleye a year or so ago and it was almost as good. Love bass too, but cats and walleye are both better in my opinion.

Pickeral are the best no ifs and or buts boys come to my house and Ill cook you some up youll never forget that meal.Check out this whopper!! Thumbs up and a nice pickeral!

Tommorrow is gonna be great man another weekend fishing trip boys wish me luck.

Well this weekend was amazing Me and a friend decided to go to a lake we had never tryed before and it was great. Ended up starting the day in the crazy sun was it ever hot having to lug the boat over railway tracks to the lake then unloading all the gear was exhausting but when we hit the lake it was like it was forgotten in a second the lake was beautiful and like glass and the fishing was awesome second cast I had a small hammerhandle hitting and bass were going crazy but I was there for the pickeral so we had some fun catching a few of those then when the sun started going down I decided to try a little troll up the lake out of the bay we had been fishing for the last couple hours.
Soon as I tossed my green jig and half a worm over board my line didnt even have time to hit the bottom and I had a fish on and this one I knew was a pickeral and a decent one at that so I hit the kill switch and started the reeling it in and it was a nice little eater perfect for me and the family to enjoy and I knew a couple more was a great meal so back us up into that spot I had started and tossed my jig out again and started trolling back up and out and sure enough I had another one almost the same spot seems I found a nice little hunny hole almost minutes into being on the lake and I tell ya fellas nothing is like that.
After about 20 more minutes of catching a few keepers and some minnows we decided to try deeper water and I found another great spot right off a little sand bar a huge family of fish ducks were hanging out around. We ankered and sat for about 30 minutes until It got a little darker and sure enough I ended up reeling in 2 great pickeral cant say so much for my friend but he had a good time anyway fish or not he ended up catching one keeper and it was good enough for him. The lake was amazing the weather was amazing and the sites and smells were unforgettable heres some pics I wanted to share with you guys.

Heres another a little closer to them.

Great pictures my friend.

I'm just too jealous. I haven't even got my line wet yet this year.

Well get up and get out there bro. The fish are waiting and this year had been one of the good years they are fierce this year I feel bad for you not to get out and see all these beautiful sites that only come once and year and the amazing fishing.
Common down I'll take you out to catch your limit in pickeral you wont be sorry.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like