18 replies [Last post]
Retired2hunt's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Colorado Springs, CO & Fort Myers, FL
Joined: 07/28/2011
Posts: 1615
  Vermonster - you need to

 

Vermonster - you need to become more devious and sneak that wildlife meat into the meals. Now wether you admit it a day or two later like me or keep it from the wife for good like numbnutz is up to you!

The recipe you provided is excellent and I have printed it out for a very near future use.  Thanks for providing it!  Thanks!

 

 

hunter25's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Colorado western slope
Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 3023
That recipe sounds great to

That recipe sounds great to me as well except for the onions, my dad gets deathly ill if he eats onions so I've never really eaten them in my life. Nobody in the entire family likes them for that matter so we just work around them.

My wife cooks and eats everything I bring home and happily brings it to where we work as well and has pushed it on everyone. That's one of the reasons I am able to hunt so much as so many people are always asking for meat. I could fill many more tags and still not have enough for everyone that wants some. My spanish friends and co workers are far more open to trying it knowing full well what it is and where it came from. I think it makes her feel like a celebrity or something as no one else has it to offer.lol

Retired2hunt's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Colorado Springs, CO & Fort Myers, FL
Joined: 07/28/2011
Posts: 1615
  That is great Hunter25 that

 

That is great Hunter25 that your wife cooks and eats everything that you bring home.  I also think it is very admirable that your wife shares it with all and that your spanish co-workers and friends are open to trying the meat that is offered to them. Just for that reason we should allow additional tags for animals that are shared or donated to the people needing the meat and food.  Great post and thanks for sharing your information and the need to share this valuable food source.

 

SGM
SGM's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Joined: 08/13/2011
Posts: 978
I almost need a stick to beat

I almost need a stick to beat the wife and kids back from eating elk and deer. None of them including my grand daughter even hesitate on the mountain lion. Only thing my wife did not like was ground antelope in the spagatti sauce. The only draw back is I do all the cooking but that is not really a bad thing. They are all looking forward to trying bear too so I best fill at least one tag this spring. 

Retired2hunt's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Colorado Springs, CO & Fort Myers, FL
Joined: 07/28/2011
Posts: 1615
  SGM - I too do about 95% of

 

SGM - I too do about 95% of the cooking in this house.  The wife does almost no more while the kids do the other 5%.  I would think that antelope in the spaghetti sauce would be great.  I guess I will find out for myself later in December!  I hope - as long as I fill that tag too!  Good luck on that Bear hunt as many hungry people are counting on you! 

 

COMeatHunter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Joined: 06/01/2011
Posts: 621
Just about any which-a-way

My family loves wild game and will eat pretty much any of however it's cooked.  As for recipes, just about any way you'd cook a beef roast or steak can be used to cook an elk roast or steak.  The only thing I like to add is olive oil to most beef recipes.  Since the elk is so lean, it dries out pretty quickly and the olive oil helps this a lot.  If you cook it in a casserole, I'd just substitute it pound for pound.  

 

Offline
Moderator
Location: Kentucky/ Colorado
Joined: 06/23/2005
Posts: 1742
Congrats! That sounds like a

Congrats! That sounds like a milestone. When my kids were young, we would eat wildgame all of the time. When we would have beef, they say "Dad...this meat is yucky... it's way to greasy." LOL!

Offline
Location: Colorado
Joined: 07/13/2011
Posts: 920
It's just me and the dog. He

It's just me and the dog. He doesn't understand turning down a piece of meat.  Big smile

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
venison recipesuperford407/10/2010 15:38 pm
Husband & wife talkhalvtaz206/21/2007 00:10 am
Would you re-marry???Ca_Vermonster412/17/2010 07:18 am
ageing a deerarrowflipper506/09/2011 19:39 pm
DIY butchering.... What cuts??? Ca_Vermonster610/19/2010 18:52 pm