6 replies [Last post]
Older Savage 114

I purchased a Savage 114, in 7mm RM (not the 114 clasic).  I love the rifle and caliber.  It has great wood and a thin barrel.   It is light and quick to point without a scratch on it.  It shoots OK but the trigger leaves mutch to be desired.  It is NOT the accu trigger and it has creep and is rough.  The riffle was purchases on gunbroker and they said it was new, without the box. 

I was able to shoot two minutes of angle from the bench with a Burris 3-9x40, but would like to do better.  I only tried one type of ammo 150 grain Core Lokt.  I guess l should try some other stuff before I go complaining.  I just hear so much about Savage accuracy that I thought It would shoot better. 

I know I'll draw some heat from you guys, but I don't really buy all that barrel break in routeen.  I've heard it both ways.  Go ahead and let me have it if you think thats the problem but I already put 40 rounds down range in about a two hour period (water under the bridge).

What can I do about the trigger?  Will the trigger break in?  Can I put in a Timney or even an accu trigger?  Perhaps my gun smith can just do a trigger job on it. 

I spend a good bit of time on gun auctions and I have never seen another 114 without the accu trigger.  I wonder, how rare is this thing?  Whats your advice? 

Thanks

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I would buy the Timney and do

I would buy the Timney and do it myself. For the price you can't go wrong. I have one Savage and it needs the trigger also. Horrible trigger just like yours.

Mine is an older .243, stock hits the barell under recoil strings shots vertically. Maybe I'll make it a summer project.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/223896/timney-rifle-trigger-savage-10-through-16-110-through-116-without-accutrigger-2-to-4-lb-blue

Thanks Hunter, I will do

Thanks Hunter, I will do that.  I've read a lot of great things about Timneys.

I think I can do it.  I'm a sheetmetal mechanic with some woodworking skills also so it shouldn't be out of my range.  I'd appreciate any advice you can give on the the swap out though.

hunter25's picture
I have not done the Savage

I have not done the Savage yet, only a Remington. they are all different but shouldn't be too hard. Directions are not always the best but common sense goes a long ways. Look on youtube for a video, thats what I did and took pictures as I took the old one out for reference.

The hardes part was I had to inlet the stock for the safety that came on the new one but I don't think that applies to the Savage.

Let us know how it goes when you get it.

Tndeerhunter's picture
I'll just add that shooting

I'll just add that shooting 40 rounds in 2 hrs should not have been any problem. Two things I'll mention though; the barrel should not get so hot that you cannot hold it. Overheating a barrel, especially with a fast stepper like the 7 mag could cause some harm. Also, it would have been a good thing to have cleaned the barrel a couple of times during that 40 shot foray. If you did not, you likely did it no harm, but you did nothing to help your group sizes by leaving it uncleaned.

I'd also buy at least two other loads (perhaps a 140 & 160gr) and see if one (both) of them shoots a bit better in that rifle. I own lots of rifles that prefer one weight over another. In fact, theat's the norm typically. One particular M70 in .270 Win I bought used showed up with a cut-out of a target showing a simply spectacular 3 shot group. I shot at least four different loads without seeing anything even close. I chose one more, a simple 150gr factory load and shot a 3 shot group even smaller than the one that had been sent.

Moral of the story; One never knows what a particular rifle likes best, until you try a few. 

Don Fischer's picture
It's my understanding that

It's my understanding that those target's that come with some new rifle's are shot prior to puting it in the stock. That can make a great deal of difference.

Yea, your right, I really

Yea, your right, I really should have cleaned the barrel.  I didn't think of bringing my cleaning kit that day.  I did let it cool though, so I don't think I burned it up.

I will also make a point of fireing two other loads before I buy the trigger.  I have some 140 grain and 165 grain Federals I can try out.

Thanks for all the help guys: :thumbsup1:

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Savage - Big Mistake?jim boyd602/16/2011 18:23 pm
Savage 111 vs. Stevens 200 vs. Marlin XL7sebastian slim801/22/2014 12:03 pm
savage model 99wyoelkhunter401/02/2008 07:42 am
Savage Edge groundhog307/15/2010 23:39 pm
Any owners of the Savage model 93G .22 magnum?redneckhunter203/31/2008 19:52 pm