25 replies [Last post]
jim boyd's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
OK, I have "Snapped"... Western Elk Hunt for 2011!

OK, enough is enough and I have officially snapped!

Forget 2012 - maybe 2011 is a possibility!

EcuBackpacker – let’s you and I drive from this coast.

CA-V, you are responsible for a partner from your end.

Four of us meet in NW Colorado – after agreeing on a guide service – and we do a drop camp… it should run us about $1000.00 to $1500.00 each for the drop camp, our licenses and permits are – what – roughly $600.00?

With that said – we could perhaps do the whole trip for $2000 - $2500 each?

It is 4000 miles round trip roughly from SC to NW Colorado. 4000 miles divided by 16 MPG = 250 gallons of fuel at $3 average = $750 for fuel – split 2 ways is $375 for travel. Heck, we might could fly for almost that amount…

I am not “stuck” on CO, either… I have read some very positive reports from other states – I am just having a hard time sorting it all out.

We can do OTC tags and I am open for bow or rifle – but lean toward the # 2 rifle season.

We could hunt in pairs and I would, of course, want to try to glean some experience from your previous knowledge.

I will forgo my Illinois bow hunt for 2011 if we can put this together.

Who else from the forum wants to join?

Groovy Mike?? (NY, I think)

TNDEERHUNTER? (TN, obviously…)

CVC? (KS)

JonesKlan (TN – home from Military duty then?)

Jaybe (MI)

ECU (NC)

Jim (SC)

Other forum members???

I am sure we can do 6 equally as well as 4 hunters…

What am I missing???

Jim (stoked in SC!)

tim
you just made me realize how

you just made me realize how good i have it. 

thank you for that.

jaybe's picture
Idaho!

Tim,

Seeing you are from Idaho reminds me of a gal I met back in the 70's from Idaho.

She started pulling pictures out of her purse of her first elk, her biggest black bear, her Winchester Model 70 in .270, etc.

She jokingly (maybe not) said, "You hunters here in Michigan look for a deer behind the next tree; in Idaho we look for a deer over the next mountain."

Jim - As far as me and the trip in planning goes, you'll have to scratch my name from consideration.

I will be coming out for a mule deer hunt to Wyoming in mid-October with my wife and buddy and his wife.

That will burn up both my extra vacation time as well as my budget.

I figure that it's going to cost about $1,000 just to pull my 5th wheel trailer out there and back.

Add licenses, food, etc, etc - you get the idea.

But thanks for even thinking of me anyway.

jim boyd's picture
Tim, you are welcome my

Tim, you are welcome my friend... enjoy and let us envy you!

Jaybe - we will miss you but it sounds like you have a great plan already.

OK boys line up... let's get this party started...

CVC
CVC's picture
I would consider joining you

I would consider joining you but you posted using DOUBLE SPACING.  Just ruined it for me.

Haha....seriously, I cannot commit to anything until I get back to work so count me out.  But sounds like fun and wish you all a great and successful hunt.

Just one comment about driving vs flying....drive so you can bring back all that great elk meat.  It will be a lot of good eating.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
That sounds like a

That sounds like a possibility Jim. I am just not sure about the extra $$$$ for a guide though.

I have friends that are from the Southwest area, and will point me in the right direction to do a DIY hunt, and might even accompany me.  That is more of what I was thinking.

However, I can understand that some people may want a guide, cause it's tough to drop alot of money and not at least have a chance at coming home with an animal.

Let me look around, and we'll keep in touch and see.  My guys are near the Durango area, more or less.

Also, don't know which seasons overlap, but I always wondered about the possibility of a combo elk and mulie hunt.  Maybe that's something to look at too.

groovy mike's picture
Thanks for the invitation

I am honored that you guys would think to include me.  Thanks!

My 2011 plans are fully booked but I do appreciate the invitation.  It sure sounds like fun.

Primary on my hunting plans for 2011 are to take my son through his first season of deer hunting and hopefully help him bag a deer.  After that I'll be applying for moose in multiple states.  If I draw a moose tag, everything hunting related (after my son's hunts) go to second / or third place.  If there is no moose hunt available for me in the lower 48, then I plan to return to Washington state to chase mule deer and possibly (less likely) elk.

But none of that means that you guys shouldn't go and have a GREAT time without me!  It sure sounds like a good idea and I would be honored to hunt with any one of you.  If you all ever get to upstate New York, I'll buy you a cup of coffee and/or beer of your choice.

Mike

i would think a drop camp

i would think a drop camp would be cheaper than that....2 of us were packed ina and out for 1300 total. now we did used our own gear and no guide....

where we going? i dont have elk plans yet.....

you guys give up on this

you guys give up on this idea? i still dont have plans

you guys give up on this

you guys give up on this idea? i still dont have plans

anyone making plans anywhere for elk that needs an extra hand let me know

jim boyd's picture
FlyGuy, I am still in....

FlyGuy,

I am still in.... where are you?.

I am in SC.

When you go, do you fly or drive?