The individual right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the Constitution. While Barack Obama pretends to respect the Second Amendment, his record demonstrates that his claim is no more credible than a wifebeater's claim that he respects his wife.
Economist and gun control researcher Dr. John Lott recalled his first encounter with Obama. After introducing himself to Obama, "Obama said 'Oh, you are the gun guy.' I responded 'Yes, I guess so.' He simply responded that 'I don't believe that people should be able to own guns.'
'When I said it might be fun to talk about the question sometime and about his support of the city of Chicago's lawsuit against the gun makers, he simply grimaced and turned away, ending the conversation.'" .
Rich Pearson, who, "[f]or the past 15 years, . . . served in the Illinois state capitol as the chief lobbyist for the Illinois State Rifle Association" wrote:
"I lobbied Barack Obama extensively while he was an Illinois State Senator. As a result of that experience, I know Obama's attitudes toward guns and gun owners better than anyone. The truth be told, in all my years in the Capitol I have never met a legislator who harbors more contempt for the law-abiding firearm owner than does Barack Obama.
"Although Obama claims to be an advocate for the 2nd Amendment, his voting record in the Illinois Senate paints a very different picture. While a state senator, Obama voted for a bill that would ban nearly every hunting rifle, shotgun and target rifle owned by Illinois citizens. That same bill would authorize the state police to raid homes of gun owners to forcibly confiscate banned guns. Obama supported a bill that would shut down law-abiding firearm manufacturers including Springfield Armory, Armalite, Rock River Arms and Les Baer. Obama also voted for a bill that would prohibit law-abiding citizens from purchasing more than one gun per month." 
Obama supports numerous oppressive gun control measures. In April, an article in the nonpartisan website The Politico noted that "[Obama], as an Illinois state legislator and a U.S. senator, he consistently backed gun control legislation. . . . Obama has long backed gun-control measures, including a ban on semiautomatic weapons and concealed weapons, and a limit on handgun purchases to one a month." 
Obama also voted for legislation which would have banned the sale of almost all centerfire rifle ammunition, because such ammunition is designed to propel a bullet at a velocity which happens to be sufficient not only to kill game, but also to penetrate the lowest level of police body armor. .
The Obama strategy is similar to that of the repetitive wife abuser who seeks to recouncile with his wife after beating her. Flowers, candy and loving words are poured out by the abuser on his victim. The message is: "Pay attention only to what I say and ignore what I have done." Unfortunately, another beating will be administered in the future. As The Politico article notes, the Obama campaign's position statement on gun control parrots respect for the Second Amendment (while claiming "the right is subject to [supposedly] reasonable and common sense regulation"), but is silent on Obama's voting record. .
Should gunowners trust Obama? Only if they want to receive a beating.
1. See Obama and Guns: Two Different Views. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,347690,00.html.
2. Pearson, Rich, An Open Letter to the Nations Hunters and Sportsmen. http://www.goapvf.org/
3. See Obama Aims for Pro-Gun Vote. http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=20540C15-3048-5C12-005991548....
4. See http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Obama_seeks_to_take_down_NRA... Note: Click on "continue reading Obama seeks to take down NRA ad".
5. See Obama Aims for Pro-Gun Vote. http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=20540C15-3048-5C12-005991548.... Note: Another impartial source on Obama's position on gun control is: http://www.issues2000.org/Domestic/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm (" If there was any issue on which Obama rarely deviated, it was gun control. He was the most strident candidate when it came to enforcing and expanding gun control laws.").